British Speedway Forum

Panthers are hosting Coventry's intended line-up for 2017 on Sunday 19th March. The season proper begins on Friday 24th.

#panthers

COVENTRY'S intended 2017 line-up will still be racing at Peterborough on Sunday March 19 - and supporters should note start-time is now MIDDAY.

Full report from www.peterboroughpanthers.co ...

PETERBOROUGH can confirm their exciting opening fixture of the 2017 will go ahead . . . and it's set to be one of a kind!

The 'T Balfe Construction' Panthers welcome Coventry to the East of England Showground on Sunday, March 19.

And the high-noon showdown, brought forward to midday from its original 5pm slot, will feature the full intended Bees line-up for 2017 until their recent pull-out from the SGB Premiership.

That means top former Peterborough star Kenneth Bjerre, British champion Danny King, Jason Garrity, Lewis Kerr, Lasse Bjerre, Josh Bates and James Sarjeant will all line up at Alwalton.

Peterborough promoter Ged Rathbone said: "I want to place on record my thanks to all seven Coventry riders for agreeing to be part of this meeting.

"It is brilliant to have the full Bees team at the East of England Showground and it is likely to be the only time they ever take to the track together.

"They are determined to put on a great show and I know they are all desperate to see as many Coventry fans in attendance as possible.

"It is a chance for the club's supporters to be seen and heard, and we'll do our best to make it a memorable occasion for them.

"It also has the makings of a terrific meeting and it will be a great test for our new-look team.

"I believe Coventry would have had an outstanding chance of winning the SGB Premiership title with the team they assembled."

Normal admission prices of £16 for adults, £13 for concessions, and £5 for children aged between 10 and 16 apply. Under 10s are admitted free with a paying adult.

The change of start-time is to avoid a clash with Peter Karlsson's big farewell bash at Wolverhampton, which is also scheduled for 5pm.

Rathbone is aware that some Peterborough fans may be keen to travel to Monmore Green for the send-off of a Swedish star who had two spells as a Panthers rider.

Share This: Facebook Twitter

• Like 1

I get the impression Brandon Estates would be happy for the sports to run but don't want certain people involved. A 3 year deal was originally agreed only 4 months ago after all. They know that it will be many years before they even get a hope of houses there. Just need someone who can finance the repairs to track and floodlights (maybe fan funded). It's not the end yet.

I thought they'd put it up for sale again? :unsure:

Good luck to any fans wanting to get to monmore for 5, good to see Coventry in action though

I thought they'd put it up for sale again? :unsure:

We've been told they have, doesn't mean a lease can't be agreed. Having a fully working stadium might be helpful to them when selling.

• Like 1

Good luck to any fans wanting to get to monmore for 5, good to see Coventry in action though

Should easily make it for 5pm.Should take less than 2hrs to do 90 miles.Peterborough meeting should be done by 2pm giving the fans 3hrs to get to Wolves if they want to attend the PK meeting.

• Like 1

As long as the M6 behaves itself

On a Sunday afternoon it shouldn't be a problem at all.

THE famous name of Coventry Speedway will continue this season with a series of challenge matches planned to benefit riders who would have appeared for the club in 2017.

Arrangements are now in place for a Coventry line-up to visit Wolverhampton in a Keep Bees On Track challenge on Monday April 10.

This a date when the Bees would have raced at Monmore Green in the SGB Premiership and campaign organisers are in talks with other top-flight promoters regarding further fixtures.

These meetings are being arranged with the specific intention of assisting the riders who were left without Premiership team places on the eve of the season, having already incurred significant expenditure through their preparations and now facing a substantial loss in earnings.

The plan is for the Coventry team to match the clubs intended 2017 line-up as closely as possible, subject to availability if riders secure team places elsewhere.

Should additional riders be required, our first calls would be to riders with clear Coventry links.

In addition to the points money on offer, Wolverhampton promoter Chris Van Straaten has kindly agreed to make a significant donation from the meeting gate receipts where there will be a dedicated Coventry turnstile - into the Coventry Riders Hardship Fund, as well as the proceeds from an on-the-night collection.

These donations will be passed to the Nuneaton Speedway Supporters Club, who will also be the independent administrators of a Just Giving page planned to run for the next two months.

Proceeds from the meetings and the Just Giving page will be passed on to the riders by the NSSC with the exact distribution at the Committees discretion.

We would like to thank Chris Van Straaten for giving this idea his full support and for his great assistance with the logistics, and we are sure many Coventry fans will look forward to making the trip to Monmore on April 10.

News on other proposed fixtures will be released in due course.

• Like 4

THE famous name of Coventry Speedway will continue this season with a series of challenge matches planned to benefit riders who would have appeared for the club in 2017.

Arrangements are now in place for a Coventry line-up to visit Wolverhampton in a Keep Bees On Track challenge on Monday April 10.

This a date when the Bees would have raced at Monmore Green in the SGB Premiership and campaign organisers are in talks with other top-flight promoters regarding further fixtures.

These meetings are being arranged with the specific intention of assisting the riders who were left without Premiership team places on the eve of the season, having already incurred significant expenditure through their preparations and now facing a substantial loss in earnings.

The plan is for the Coventry team to match the clubs intended 2017 line-up as closely as possible, subject to availability if riders secure team places elsewhere.

Should additional riders be required, our first calls would be to riders with clear Coventry links.

In addition to the points money on offer, Wolverhampton promoter Chris Van Straaten has kindly agreed to make a significant donation from the meeting gate receipts where there will be a dedicated Coventry turnstile - into the Coventry Riders Hardship Fund, as well as the proceeds from an on-the-night collection.

These donations will be passed to the Nuneaton Speedway Supporters Club, who will also be the independent administrators of a Just Giving page planned to run for the next two months.

Proceeds from the meetings and the Just Giving page will be passed on to the riders by the NSSC with the exact distribution at the Committees discretion.

We would like to thank Chris Van Straaten for giving this idea his full support and for his great assistance with the logistics, and we are sure many Coventry fans will look forward to making the trip to Monmore on April 10.

News on other proposed fixtures will be released in due course.

Fantastic. Speedway people working together for a change. Superb gesture from Wolves.

• Like 4

Fantastic. Speedway people working together for a change. Superb gesture from Wolves.

Poole to follow shortly after apparently.

• Like 1

I'll almost certainly be going to wolves for this one,

thanks to CvS for his assistance in keeping the Bees flag flying

• Like 1

Panthers are hosting Coventry's intended line-up for 2017 on Sunday 19th March. The season proper begins on Friday 24th.

#panthersCOVENTRY'S intended 2017 line-up will still be racing at Peterborough on Sunday March 19 - and supporters should note start-time is now MIDDAY.

Full report from www.peterboroughpanthers.co ...

PETERBOROUGH can confirm their exciting opening fixture of the 2017 will go ahead . . . and it's set to be one of a kind!

The 'T Balfe Construction' Panthers welcome Coventry to the East of England Showground on Sunday, March 19.

And the high-noon showdown, brought forward to midday from its original 5pm slot, will feature the full intended Bees line-up for 2017 until their recent pull-out from the SGB Premiership.

That means top former Peterborough star Kenneth Bjerre, British champion Danny King, Jason Garrity, Lewis Kerr, Lasse Bjerre, Josh Bates and James Sarjeant will all line up at Alwalton.

Peterborough promoter Ged Rathbone said: "I want to place on record my thanks to all seven Coventry riders for agreeing to be part of this meeting.

"It is brilliant to have the full Bees team at the East of England Showground and it is likely to be the only time they ever take to the track together.

"They are determined to put on a great show and I know they are all desperate to see as many Coventry fans in attendance as possible.

"It is a chance for the club's supporters to be seen and heard, and we'll do our best to make it a memorable occasion for them.

"It also has the makings of a terrific meeting and it will be a great test for our new-look team.

"I believe Coventry would have had an outstanding chance of winning the SGB Premiership title with the team they assembled."

Normal admission prices of £16 for adults, £13 for concessions, and £5 for children aged between 10 and 16 apply. Under 10s are admitted free with a paying adult.

The change of start-time is to avoid a clash with Peter Karlsson's big farewell bash at Wolverhampton, which is also scheduled for 5pm.

Rathbone is aware that some Peterborough fans may be keen to travel to Monmore Green for the send-off of a Swedish star who had two spells as a Panthers rider.

Share This: Facebook Twitter[/quot

depends on the weather, but Peterborough should be filled to the rafters on the 19th with Coventry fans and more importantly Speedway fans.in general - a most amazing circuit as are a Somerset and Glasgow - with the business model they all provide indicate they know what they doing and most importantly appear to care !

I'm not knocking it, but it's a no-brainer from the promoters.

We're a cash cow now, and the promoters know it. We'll bring huge crowds to these meetings.

In losing Coventry, they've also lost one of their biggest away followings. These fixtures will compensate for that.

• Like 3

G the Bee what utter rubbish we are down not out. Your reply is sad I have been to Nuneaton speedway supporters meeting tonight and am full of admiration for the action being taken by their members to keep Bees alive. Yes we haven't got a stadium but the spirit is still there and what has to happen this season is NOT to slink away and die but to keep the name alive. Don't know if it will work but at least it's worth a try. We have Rugby Council on our side it's time for this sort of attitude to be condemned and praise to the committee that has been formed to try to take positive action. I must say I am disappointed that the "save our Speedway" group appear to have been anonymous in the last few months, I wonder what has happened to them?

• Like 2

I'm not knocking it, but it's a no-brainer from the promoters.

We're a cash cow now, and the promoters know it. We'll bring huge crowds to these meetings.

In losing Coventry, they've also lost one of their biggest away followings. These fixtures will compensate for that.

A cash cow possibly but Wolves are donating some of the gate money to the fund as well as paying riders for doing the meeting. Edited by woz01
  • Like 5