British Speedway Forum

It is very sad abbo, I have no appetite for the sport now. Fully intended to go to some live meetings whether a Bees challenge of league racing but just can't get any enthusiasm for it. I can't see Coventry ever getting back on track anywhere let alone in Coventry. Maybe that's a good thing as the sport is on it's knees and seemingly can't turn it round. I reckon we might lose another team or 2 at the end of this season and that will not be sustainable.

Watched Poole v BV last night on BT Sport and I did enjoy the meting but like you abbo, I am now reduced to an armchair supporter! Regarding Poole what is going on with their track, it was terrible. Home riders couldn't even ride it - has Matt Ford given up!

I watched the Poole v. 'Aces' Meeting too.

I totally agree with you about the Track - it looked dreadful - the Riders were bouncing around all over the place. Rough as hell.

GREAT Result though. :t::approve: :approve:

• Like 1

It is very sad abbo, I have no appetite for the sport now. Fully intended to go to some live meetings whether a Bees challenge of league racing but just can't get any enthusiasm for it. I can't see Coventry ever getting back on track anywhere let alone in Coventry.

The thing is, I don't even miss it.

No doubt this is partly because I could see the writing on the wall and over the last season or so eased myself of it and found other interests.

But the real reason is that the sport is simply not as good as it used to be.

That's from someone who, up until the last few seasons, barely missed a home meeting

No, I don't miss it at all.

• Like 4

I have been watching speedway at Brandon regularly since 1970. And just in case you think I'm casual supporter, I do have vague memories of going with my Dad in the late 50's.

I am heartbroken with the loss of a team that riders from all over the World wanted to ride for. There were a few other clubs who came close, but the Bees were the best. Okay, I'm biased and Belle Vue were pretty good and a few others had their day.

Don't get into keyboard warrior mode, I'm just trying to illustrate a point.

So there are two key things to remember.

1) NEVER give up. The patient is in ITU and is fading. But the disease is treatable and will only give up when we do.

2) There is still some great speedway out there. Oh, the authorities don't know their arse from their elbows, but it has always been so. But despite that, there are youngsters still putting it on the line to win races. And what about the World stage? You've got to be very good to even compete at that level now.

Start looking for the good my friends. Please.

• Like 3

I really miss it. I hope something can be done to get us back racing 🙏🏼🐝

• Like 1

I really miss it. I hope something can be done to get us back racing 🙏🏼🐝

Me too, but i think we're grasping at straws.

• Like 2

I have been watching speedway at Brandon regularly since 1970. And just in case you think I'm casual supporter, I do have vague memories of going with my Dad in the late 50's.

I am heartbroken with the loss of a team that riders from all over the World wanted to ride for. There were a few other clubs who came close, but the Bees were the best. Okay, I'm biased and Belle Vue were pretty good and a few others had their day.

Don't get into keyboard warrior mode, I'm just trying to illustrate a point.

So there are two key things to remember.

1) NEVER give up. The patient is in ITU and is fading. But the disease is treatable and will only give up when we do.

2) There is still some great speedway out there. Oh, the authorities don't know their arse from their elbows, but it has always been so. But despite that, there are youngsters still putting it on the line to win races. And what about the World stage? You've got to be very good to even compete at that level now.

Start looking for the good my friends. Please.

I sympathise with you sentiments and agree Coventry Speedway was one if not the greatest speedway clubs in it's heyday but as DJ350 says with speedway in such a parlous state who honestly is likely to put money into the sport to run Coventry particularly with the issues regarding Bandon, a new venue, current owners, Brandon Estates etc etc.

Such a great shame!

Edited by TesarRacing
  • Like 1

I sympathise with you sentiments and agree Coventry Speedway was one if not the greatest speedway clubs in it's heyday but as DJ350 says with speedway in such a parlous state who honestly is likely to put money into the sport to run Coventry particularly with the issues regarding Bandon, a new venue, current owners, Brandon Estates etc etc.

Such a great shame!

I feel ashamed to be so apathetic over a speedway team I have supported since 1971 and in the past berated other supporters for being negative and saying they are not going to go anymore. Sadly I think I have moved on now. I will watch league speedway on BT Sport but that is about it for me now. :cry:

• Like 1

revenge on who ?

Sandhu. It seems it's not about business but personal

Me too, but i think we're grasping at straws.

It will have to be somewhere new and we will need funds which is the biggest step at the moment. I'm hoping that Rugby Council plays hard ball and insist Brandon Estates provide a new facility. It happens elsewhere. Edited by woz01
  • Like 1

Just turned the TV on that's not the Lance King I remember!

• Like 1

Just turned the TV on that's not the Lance King I remember!

Wrong thread?????

Wrong thread?????

Have you not heard? He is coming in as RR for one of the challenge matches!! ;)

Everybody is welcome at the NSSC. Come and have a chat with friendly faces from the Brandon terraces and keep in touch with all the latest gossip.

We have two guest nights in July. James Sarjeant on 6th July and Max Fricke on 20th July. Two extremely likeable and popular riders.

The meetings start at 8pm and finish around 10-ish, with plenty of time afterwards to stop and chat. There's a good (& cheap) bar which also sells hot drinks and snacks.

We meet at the Brandon Club, just down the road from the stadium;

Main Street

Brandon

Coventry

CV8 3HW

All money raised on the night goes to help Neil Vatcher and the GB Young Lions. Entry for non-members is £3.

For everything you need to know about the NSSC: https://www.nuneatonspeedwaysupportersclub.co.uk

• Like 1

Teams can come back, we at Redcar after 10 Years , Leicester,Birmingham. If a brownfield site could be found like ours , ex industrial land than there is a chance. Your council should know what to do, where to go.

I fear that you will not return to Brandon or in the initial phase top level racing.

Hope that something comes along for you soon.

• Like 1

Teams can come back, we at Redcar after 10 Years , Leicester,Birmingham. If a brownfield site could be found like ours , ex industrial land than there is a chance. Your council should know what to do, where to go.

I fear that you will not return to Brandon or in the initial phase top level racing.

Hope that something comes along for you soon.

Never give up hope. Going further back you can include Edinburgh (Powederhall 1977, ten years after losing Old Meadowbank), Scunthorpe, Weymouth, St.Sustell, Kent, Workington and you might even argue Glasgow after the desperate Coatbridge and Blantyre years, plus of course Essex in the case of Arena Essex opening a decade after the closure of Rayleigh.

Edited by Rob McCaffery