British Speedway Forum

My dad and I were also watching the excellent dvd over the weekend. Excellent memories and footage and if it wasn't clear enough to the younger fan then it certainly is a must watch of what a speedway owner should be like. Charles Ochiltree and Mick Horton couldn't be further apart, he must be going crazy up there looking down at what is happening to the club and stadium he built up to be what we all enjoyed for so many years.  The dvd should be sent to Brandon estates and shown to rugby council. They purchased a running/working  stadium not a building site.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Coventry_Bee said:

My dad and I were also watching the excellent dvd over the weekend. Excellent memories and footage and if it wasn't clear enough to the younger fan then it certainly is a must watch of what a speedway owner should be like. Charles Ochiltree and Mick Horton couldn't be further apart, he must be going crazy up there looking down at what is happening to the club and stadium he built up to be what we all enjoyed for so many years.  The dvd should be sent to Brandon estates and shown to rugby council. They purchased a running/working  stadium not a building site.

And,for the many bees fans who grew up with the C O running the show, the last five years at Brandon, watching the club being dragged down year on year, the pain is even greater.

• Like 3

Charles Ochiltree was respected and, in turn, he respected his customers, the fans. As a youngster in the 1960s, I once went into the office to ask if a race card was available (one of those long ago occasions when the stadium was so full, they sold out of programmes!). I was quite concerned when I saw him in the office but still asked him. Ever the gentleman, he responded to a young lad with the same politeness as to any adult and told me to wait whilst they xeroxed some spares, handing me a copy before I left. Very powerful man in the sport at that time but never lost touch with reality either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 17/12/2017 at 12:05 AM, Gemini said:

I can recommend the 'Memories of Coventry Speedway' DVD if anyone is thinking of getting it. Great value at £16 for 3 DVD's. I have sort of watched part one, with difficulty, and will be watching two and three when Lucy isn't around. :D What a strange dog she is as she always goes to sleep at meetings yet on TV suddenly finds it really interesting and blocks my view.

Where can I get hold of one of the DVD sets Gem?

• Like 1

You can’t compare the great CO with the current owner ,he is not fit to tie up Charlie’s shoes.

One would be a successful blue chip company executive the other a rug salesman in Morocco.

charlie would not be in North Africa :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TesarRacing said:

Where can I get hold of one of the DVD sets Gem?

From here. :)http://retro-speedway.com/homepage

Sorry I haven't replied earlier but only just logged on.

Edited by Gemini

Just watched the trailer to the DVD and must admit it brought tears to my eyes...  Its criminal whats happened and they should all be strung up.

The footage is excellent and it really is a trip down memory lane and being 39 I only remember really from 84/85 season but seeing the history of it was something I really enjoyed and wasn't aware of. We have done 2 dvd's so far and savouring the other for over Christmas. Be a lot of work but maybe one day Pete from clean cut sports can do a best of speedway dvd from his time filming at Coventry, must be some great heats and thrills and spills.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2017 at 12:05 AM, Gemini said:

I can recommend the 'Memories of Coventry Speedway' DVD if anyone is thinking of getting it. Great value at £16 for 3 DVD's. I have sort of watched part one, with difficulty, and will be watching two and three when Lucy isn't around. :D What a strange dog she is as she always goes to sleep at meetings yet on TV suddenly finds it really interesting and blocks my view.

COV MEMORIES 003.jpg

Must have been intimidating for the riders having a gigantic dog on the first bend terracing

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Well done, keep it up. Millions of speedway fans world wide are behind you!

On 17/12/2017 at 12:05 AM, Gemini said:

COV MEMORIES 003.jpg

Great to see the dog lapping it up as well as all the huge crowd.

how things have changed,I remember countless British finals and visits to Brandon watching the lions( getting beaten every time mind you ) the place was packed and had to park miles away and walk in.

fingers crossed for a return to those heady days for a more certain future for the bees.As a lions fan I'm optimistic about this season and will also be going along to watch bees in the nationals at BP.

good luck and a better 2018

Shirl

• Like 1