British Speedway Forum

Now is the time to voice your objection to the planning application from Brandon Estates to redevelop the Brandon stadium site.

The SCS&S campaign group has posted advice on how to voice your objections to this outrageous planning application...Get your objections in!

To raise your objection you can email Erica Buchanan, who has been appointed as the Planning Officer at Rugby Borough Council to preside over this planning application.

You can contact her via her email:

Erica.Buchanan@rugby.gov.uk

Details of the planning application can be seen here;

http://www.planningportal.rugby.gov.uk/fulldetail.asp?AltRef=R18/0186&ApplicationNumber=&AddressPrefix=&Postcode=CV8+3GJ&CaseOfficer=&ParishName=&AreaTeam=&WardMember=&Consultant=&DateDecidedStart=&DateDecidedEnd=&Locality=&AgentName=&ApplicantName=&ShowDecided=&DecisionDescription=&DecisionLevel=&Sort1=DateReceived+DESC&Sort2=FullAddressPrefix&Submit=Search

Please use the reference: R18/0186, the main reasons behind your objection and please provide your name, address and postcode.

For more info please check the Save Coventry Speedway and Stock Car Campaign website over the coming days for further advice.

http://savecoventryspeedway.com/news.php?extend.126

The planning application can be viewed below.

The consultation period for any objections ends on March 1st 2018.

Done.  

• Like 1

Done

• Like 1

Cheers everyone. I did mine yesterday. Quite emotional to write to be honest but I just had to do my bit. 

2 hours ago, Woz01 said:

Cheers everyone. I did mine yesterday. Quite emotional to write to be honest but I just had to do my bit. 

I spoke about the day I went to see a British Final,  4 of us, one of whom was Barrie Sheene.   Travelled in his roller, we were ushered into the pits Car Park area .  Within minutes we were surrounded, 100's wanting to speak and have their photo taken with him. it was manic..    I looked round to my friend and said whose idea was this?   we decided to get out of the car and  leave.  Co-pilot George asked where will we be,  back straight was the reply and we left them to it..

About an hour later, heat 6,  George and Barrie found us, we exchanged a few views as heat 7 started.   During the race I notice the number of fans  looking round and noticing Barrie. they in turn were pointing him out to their friends and before long the adulation starts all over again.   This was the first day that we experienced first hand the problems with being well known.

We took our leave again hoping to see more of the Speedway Final..  That day we moved around more than any other time in an effort to escape all the fuss..   We were fortunate to be able to do that,  but Barrie just excepted is as his norm.     Never once did I see or hear him rubbish those fans...     Brilliant Chap,  and  a Terrible loss...

Brilliant times and wonderful memories..

Edited by g13webb
Gramma !!
  • Like 1

Copy of my submission, below.

Having been a Coventry Bees supporter since 1965 I feel I must object to the loss of a venue which has been a major part in my family social life. My Mother eventually became secretary of the first official Supporters Club, and my sister and two brothers were all regular stadium goers, and our children, and my Grandson, have all become enthusiastic Speedway supporters. 

I also feel that those submitting the Planning Application are deliberately playing down the fact that Brandon is a MOTOR SPORTS stadium and not just a Speedway Stadium. The Stock Car promotion regularly stage the World Final which brings in thousands of fans from around the world, providing a boost to the local economy in the days preceding the event.

I also feel that the site owners, who by their own admission have noted that 85% of the latest responses are negative, are trying to abrogate their responsibility in law to provide or fund a suitable alternative site for the MOTOR SPORT stadium.

Edited by Gambo
  • Like 7

That's a very well written submission gambo and I would have thought it would make the planning team think about their decision very deeply.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, charlie17 said:

The Martin Ashby, Ray Wilson race off in the British Final was the best race. Ever... great memories.

No it wasn’t. It devastated me. Haven’t seen the race since that fateful night but it’s etched in my brain. Left the stadium in tears. A young lad absolutely gutted.

is there any footage of the race online?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gambo said:

Copy of my submission, below.

Having been a Coventry Bees supporter since 1965 I feel I must object to the loss of a venue which has been a major part in my family social life. My Mother eventually became secretary of the first official Supporters Club, and my sister and two brothers were all regular stadium goers, and our children, and my Grandson, have all become enthusiastic Speedway supporters. 

I also feel that those submitting the Planning Application are deliberately playing down the fact that Brandon is a MOTOR SPORTS stadium and not just a Speedway Stadium. The Stock Car promotion regularly stage the World Final which brings in thousands of fans from around the world, providing a boost to the local economy in the days preceding the event.

I also feel that the site owners, who by their own admission have noted that 85% of the latest responses are negative, are trying to abrogate their responsibility in law to provide or fund a suitable alternative site for the MOTOR SPORT stadium.

I sincerely wish you, all Coventry and speedway fans throughout the country the very best of luck in your fight to save Brandon and the Coventry Bees. Hopefully your submission will not fall on deaf ears.

The problem is not so much The council who I believe will throw out the application. I think the main problem will come when its appealed and decisions are not taken on a local level but national. 

With the government wanting to build thousands of new homes it could come down to some box ticker in London who makes the call, with no local knowledge, no affinity to sport and wanting to relieve the housing crisis. This is going to be a long process and one that needs many, many Coventry fans to make a noise, not just a few on here.

what I don’t understand is the local Coventry paper, who seem to want to remain neutral in all this. Why on earth haven’t they started a campaign, or joined in the current one. Their voice could shout loud from the rooftops but they just report and little else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

No it wasn’t. It devastated me. Haven’t seen the race since that fateful night but it’s etched in my brain. Left the stadium in tears. A young lad absolutely gutted.

is there any footage of the race online?

Tony Steele, who has a vast collection of old speedway films, showed this race a few months ago at an NSSC meeting.

It was a terrific race in front of a packed Brandon stadium and even though most in the room would have known the result it still drew gasps and cheers and a spontaneous round of applause.