British Speedway Forum

Coventry may look to add to City of Culture title

Just a couple of months after being named UK City of Culture for 2021, Coventry is lining up another title - European City of Sport in 2019.

The City Council's cabinet votes on whether to submit a bid when it meets next week next week and the recommendation in a report from council officers is that they enter the race.

They are going to look good should Brandon continue to be closed and subsequent demolished aren't they?

53 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Coventry may look to add to City of Culture title

Just a couple of months after being named UK City of Culture for 2021, Coventry is lining up another title - European City of Sport in 2019.

The City Council's cabinet votes on whether to submit a bid when it meets next week next week and the recommendation in a report from council officers is that they enter the race.

They are going to look good should Brandon continue to be closed and subsequent demolished aren't they?

They've got an easy way out, theyll say it's not in Coventry Councils jurisdiction. However if this happens it's something we can push Coventry Council on.

18 minutes ago, Woz01 said:

They've got an easy way out, theyll say it's not in Coventry Councils jurisdiction. However if this happens it's something we can push Coventry Council on.

The council meeting to discuss this bid is Tuesday, 13th Feb. I have written to the Cabinet Member for Public Health and Sport, Rois Ali (rois.ali@coventry.gov.uk) asking him to lend his support to our desire to keep Brandon open. I acknowledged the fact that the stadium is in the Rugby Borough Council area but set against this the fact that "We don't look good applying to be the City of Sport and at the same time allowing a 90 year old sporting tradition to die [for the sake of 130 houses]."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Whilst the Loram v Louis was a good race, no doubt about it, in the scheme of things it is insignificant compared to the 1975 British Final runoff.

What we had in 1975, and really have never had since, was British dominance the same way as the Poles are dominating the sport today. The race meant so much. Speedway had big crowds, Brandon was packed, and I mean packed, not busy, and the winner of this race went straight through to the World Final at Wembley in front of 92,000 fans. 

Ashby had started well but had dropped points to Collins and Simmo, won his next before heat 19 needing a second, but beaten by max man Louis but cruscially by Wilson, tying both on 11 points. The runoff was extremely tense. Wilson gating but Ashby sticking to the inside and getting closer with every lap. Lap four and Ashby gets by up the inside but allows Wilson racing room to come around the outside to win by a wheel. 

Ashby at the time was at his peak. Ten plus average. He was reserve at Wemble but didn’t get to ride. Wilson scored a disappointing 5 points. I was there and it was a breeze on the night for Olsen who was virtually untroubled. A poor track that night as well. (Wembley)

The other key ingredient was Willy's harsh exclusion in his first ride after tangling with Simmons on the first bend. Knew that he more or less had to win his other 4 (3 out of 4 was enough in the end), so every heat he took part in was nerve jangling stuff. The run off just shredded the nerves. Jessup's surprise failure heaped even more onto it all for us. Unforgettable.

Reading the SS article on the Stadium planning application, wouldn’t it be interesting to see the level of drawings taken out each year by the various parties that left such a small operating profit? The level of those drawings could make a huge difference to the conclusions being drawn about how profitable the bees were under Horton. If Horton (and any connected parties) took nothing in drawings, that is one thing but if they took a large amount out for themselves each year, the whole picture changes. If I read the article correctly,  theSS says that the drawings figure was not provided for the calculations! One would have to wonder why!

10 hours ago, coventry1963 said:

Reading the SS article on the Stadium planning application, wouldn’t it be interesting to see the level of drawings taken out each year by the various parties that left such a small operating profit? The level of those drawings could make a huge difference to the conclusions being drawn about how profitable the bees were under Horton. If Horton (and any connected parties) took nothing in drawings, that is one thing but if they took a large amount out for themselves each year, the whole picture changes. If I read the article correctly,  theSS says that the drawings figure was not provided for the calculations! One would have to wonder why!

I'm surprised we made a profit at all considering what was said during those times about Horton and what other clubs were reporting. One year we were 40,000 pounds in profit, I find it difficult to see how Horton or anyone else took anything substantial out with those profits. 

As i understand it the first two years under Horton we made losses mainly due to him buying the club and paying for the licence. Every year after that a profit was made, although without working it out I think overall since Horton took charge I think it was a loss. Having said that a few years of profits it shows that Coventry Bees was a viable club. I assume CoventryStox was viable so. BE won't like this coming out as they've gone heavy on the unviable route.

Edited by Woz01

20 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Whilst the Loram v Louis was a good race, no doubt about it, in the scheme of things it is insignificant compared to the 1975 British Final runoff.

What we had in 1975, and really have never had since, was British dominance the same way as the Poles are dominating the sport today. The race meant so much. Speedway had big crowds, Brandon was packed, and I mean packed, not busy, and the winner of this race went straight through to the World Final at Wembley in front of 92,000 fans. 

Ashby had started well but had dropped points to Collins and Simmo, won his next before heat 19 needing a second, but beaten by max man Louis but cruscially by Wilson, tying both on 11 points. The runoff was extremely tense. Wilson gating but Ashby sticking to the inside and getting closer with every lap. Lap four and Ashby gets by up the inside but allows Wilson racing room to come around the outside to win by a wheel. 

Ashby at the time was at his peak. Ten plus average. He was reserve at Wemble but didn’t get to ride. Wilson scored a disappointing 5 points. I was there and it was a breeze on the night for Olsen who was virtually untroubled. A poor track that night as well. (Wembley)

Steve was you one of those fans with the hose pipe at Wembley in 1975!. The British finals I went to at West ham and Coventry in the 70's were really tough meetings with top class line ups and massive crowds.

14 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Steve was you one of those fans with the hose pipe at Wembley in 1975!. The British finals I went to at West ham and Coventry in the 70's were really tough meetings with top class line ups and massive crowds.

No I saw it all though. I was on the apex of the third and 4th bends. The track was underwatered and dusty and some fans took it on themselves to water the track, on the first bend if I recall.  I was only a 16 year old young lad and it would have been beyond my comprehension at the time to consider doing such a thing.

41 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

No I saw it all though. I was on the apex of the third and 4th bends. The track was underwatered and dusty and some fans took it on themselves to water the track, on the first bend if I recall.  I was only a 16 year old young lad and it would have been beyond my comprehension at the time to consider doing such a thing.

You waited till later in life. You joined the forum and started p!ssing over us all.

No offence Steve, the thought occurred and I couldn't resist it! (he'll get me back) :wink:

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

Isn't it  around now that BE & the council go to court to resolve the dispute over the security of the stadium. ?

Or the lack of it!!!

http://www.savecoventryspeedway.com/news.php?extend.128.1&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Question answered.:)

The main issue here is that whilst BE have been messing about with this, more stadium damage has occurred , but  I suppose it suits their "master plan"

I have to admit the article in the SS is not good reading.   It appears BE  have all bases covered..  

Hopefully, the planners don't base their decisions on the viability of just one sport .  

I thought the article was excellent. It shows what a little digging can do, who has provided what information & how some of the things they claim may not be as it they seem.

Put it this way if the speedway was making money then I would hate to guess what the stox made, You have seen pictures of the world final and even other meetings and the place is packed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adonis said:

With a site as large as Brandon , and a proposal for 130 houses , does anybody believe the affordable housing ploy ? 

“Affordable housing” always makes me giggle. The implication is all other housing is “unaffordable” :lol:

4 hours ago, adonis said:

With a site as large as Brandon , and a proposal for 130 houses , does anybody believe the affordable housing ploy ? 

If they get permission and build those 130 houses you can pretty much guarantee that they will try to get more housing on the site in future. 

15 hours ago, adonis said:

exactly what happened on the school field opposite  my house , appllication  for  280 houses rejected , revised  to 150  accepted ,   built on half the site  . 2 years later application for 280 house on the remaining land   rejected , revised to 160 , accepted , so 310  built  on land that was rejected for 280 . 

In the plans all the houses are on one side of the site the other side is walkways, grass, ponds etc. It's obvious what they will do.