Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Think everybody needs to say a huge thank you to Cllr Michael Stokes. Without his efforts there would almost certainly have been no speedway at Brandon next year.

Agree can someone find his email details?

• Like 1

Yes big thanks to Mr Stokes ,now he knows what dolly partons bra goes through keeping those two enormous t&@s in control.

• Like 6

Fantastic news for Coventry fans, they must have been in turmoil over the past days, to lose a club of Coventry's stature would not only be devastating for speedway in Coventry but for the sport as a whole.

i can fully understand with Horton's history most fans will view the news with a degree of scepticism but i hope this is the turning point for Coventry speedway and can continue racing for the foreseeable future.

tbf to Starman, I kind of agree with him here. Surely for this season at least, the Bees racing at Leicester is better than not racing at all?

And longer terms, for speedway to survive in the UK, track/stadium sharing may be the way to go. I can totally understand the emotional reluctance of fans to do so, especially to traditional rivals, but for a sport with major financial issues, the way to survive may be the pragmatism of the reduced costs by sharing a track/stadium.

Yes, I'm sure crowds would be significantly lower than at Brandon. But surely it is better than no speedway at all, those who are interested can go and those who don't want to can stay away.

Surely having another promoter sub-letting off DH (or whoever ends up promoting at Leicester), may also provide the driver for the neccessary track alterations to be made at Beaumont Park, which would surely make it somewhat of a win win?

Wow people actually believe this. You do realise that several clubs have already closed recently, and presumably not because they were making too much money. Every year clubs are looking for ways to try and reduce costs,and reduce their losses.

Coventry moving to Leicester would see crowds collapse , and the club would fold within weeks. Any promoter who followed this route, should be taken away and sectioned, Horton maybe stupid but he is not terminally insane.

Anyway this has hopefully been resolved, at least in the short term.The fact that Sandhu kept ownership of all the fixtures and fittings, always led me to believe that he hadn't totally given up on keeping the stadium open. For if he had no interest in speedway/stock car he would have surely got rid of everything when he sold the stadium last year. If he had wanted totally out, he may as well included all the f&f in the original sale.

• Like 1

Hortons statement has disappeared from the website in the spirit of perestroika perhaps comrades.

• Like 1

Wouldn't sharing any other track be preferable to nothing?

I wouldn't go to Ipswich for Lynn home fixtures, not a chance

.......Joe Beevers.....

A round track. Check

Shale. Check
Seating. You don't need any.
VIP area indoors and restaurants. You don't need this either.
Referees box. A few wires ripped out wouldn't be that expensive or take long to do.
Making sure there are no hazards for spectators. Seal off parts of the stadium if checks were not completed in time.
Food and toilets. Presumably portaloos and the burger trailer will still be there from last year.

There are several toilet blocks so hopefully they haven't been trashed as well. :cry:

Edited by Gemini

Two people well known in the speedway world get involved in a bit of brinkmanship, which goes too far, and it takes a local councillor to sort it out. Meanwhile the chairman of the bspa goes on holiday!! Nuff said.

Just waiting for Mr prompt and decisive to come back from that holiday and claim the credit for sorting this out, closely followed by a statement from the editor of the speedway star blowing more smoke up his arse.

Hold the front page, todays biggest news isn't that Coventry Speedway appears to have been saved but it's that I agree with Fred Flange that Buster Chapman is inept as BSPA chairman (well I think thats what Fred is saying)

Great news for Coventry Speedway and the supporters but you can't help feeling everything will be fine till the next falling out of these 2 big ego's! :sad:

• Like 1

We might get a new PA system put back in now then 😀

Glad it's all sorted, just need March to hurry up now!

Great news and lets just hope the 2 can continue to work together to ensure the tapes go up in March. Perhaps some of us should also stop moaning about the team! :rolleyes:

Great news and lets just hope the 2 can continue to work together to ensure the tapes go up in March. Perhaps some of us should also stop moaning about the team! :rolleyes:

Yeah look at Swindons!

• Like 1