British Speedway Forum

As Shads has said, some people do their own little speedway tours, or they book their holidays to avoid home matches etc. Of course things change but what else is a fan supposed to do? And when it comes to booking time off work, the sooner you do it the less the chance of a colleague having nabbed the date first and you not being granted the time you want.

Coventry's situation has an impact on the top and bottom leagues but no-one in the middle league is getting their fixtures either. Is that fair on them?

At my place of work we have to start submitting our leave requests in October for the following April-Xmas period, 3 or 4 months before the fixtures are released. Inevitably July, August and the first half of September are the first to be snapped up for family holidays. No good if you're a speedway fan. I've had to go "sick" a couple of times for the Rockets northern tour, usually in late July/early August.

Okay fair enough and I realise now how it could involve 3 leagues. I don't have that problem these days but in the past we have booked a week's holiday in Dorset when the Bees were riding there and the fixture then got moved to another week so after that I just took pot luck.

I don't think I'll even get the chance somehow but I've got Anne Widdecombe on standby just in case.

Sorry that's not allowed any more unless Steve Shovlar can smuggle his camera in.

I know you have always said this so you must have read the article somewhere. Can you post the link as it sounds interesting.

Here's some of it http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/other-sport/how-avtar-turned-around-3141247

Seems to me they want Horton out of the way which is now likely to happen. Will they run speedway with Horton out of the way or just run Stox if they get the stadium back in working order? Not sure that'll be viable?

I was led to believe that the stock car dates belong to the promoter and not the track so nothing stopping the stock car promoters from taking the show on the road to protect the dates whilst they look for a suitable location somewhere in the GB to re-establish their own operation at their own track, and thus benefit from the food and drink takings that I am sure add significantly to the gate receipts ... perhaps I'm misinformed though?

If not, then the current Stox promoters don't need Brandon so no incentive to spend £000s to reinstate the stadium, plus £000s to maintain the stadium to run stox only. Probably make more by renting stadiums elsewhere and taking gate receipts without any of the overheads for an "idle" stadium ...

I was led to believe that the stock car dates belong to the promoter and not the track so nothing stopping the stock car promoters from taking the show on the road to protect the dates whilst they look for a suitable location somewhere in the GB to re-establish their own operation at their own track, and thus benefit from the food and drink takings that I am sure add significantly to the gate receipts ... perhaps I'm misinformed though?

If not, then the current Stox promoters don't need Brandon so no incentive to spend £000s to reinstate the stadium, plus £000s to maintain the stadium to run stox only. Probably make more by renting stadiums elsewhere and taking gate receipts without any of the overheads for an "idle" stadium ...

Yep thats correct they own the dates and can run elsewhere hence that's why I've been saying they won't lose out. It seems they are in negotiations though so we'll have to wait and see.

I've read that article before but there's nothing in it to confirm your comments that the Ochiltrees didn't want to leave or that he drove them out....unless you can find the other part where is says that.

He willingly admits he bought the stadium with the intention of bulldozing it and building houses on the 25-acre site. "I wanted it for housing, and to start with my offer was turned down even though I outbid everyone else," he explained. "The site was offered to an ex-speedway rider but that deal fell through, and they came back to me. I then bought it at a lower price than I first offered.

"I knew it was going to be a long hard battle for planning permission for houses and in the end I wasn't prepared for that, so we decided to keep the speedway and stock-cars and explore introducing other sports at the stadium.

Anyway Lucy is all ready for the season to start and is extremely happy with her new coat........I think. :P

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155693285642785&set=a.10150784554067785.494859.550797784&type=3&theater

Edited by Gemini

I've read that article before but there's nothing in it to confirm your comments that the Ochiltrees didn't want to leave or that he drove them out....unless you can find the other part where is says that.

He willingly admits he bought the stadium with the intention of bulldozing it and building houses on the 25-acre site. "I wanted it for housing, and to start with my offer was turned down even though I outbid everyone else," he explained. "The site was offered to an ex-speedway rider but that deal fell through, and they came back to me. I then bought it at a lower price than I first offered.

"I knew it was going to be a long hard battle for planning permission for houses and in the end I wasn't prepared for that, so we decided to keep the speedway and stock-cars and explore introducing other sports at the stadium.

Anyway Lucy is all ready for the new season and extremely happy with her new coat. :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155693285642785&set=a.10150784554067785.494859.550797784&type=3&theater

I did say some of it . and ti's obvious you are a bit sceptical about the existence of the other article where it says about him driving the Ochiltrees out , so as soon as I have a few minutes Ill do an internet search and find it ,

• Like 1

At my place of work we have to start submitting our leave requests in October for the following April-Xmas period, 3 or 4 months before the fixtures are released. Inevitably July, August and the first half of September are the first to be snapped up for family holidays. No good if you're a speedway fan. I've had to go "sick" a couple of times for the Rockets northern tour, usually in late July/early August.

I also used to travel all over the place watching Poole in the 80's & remember having an afternoon off work to visit Arena Essex weeks in advance for the meeting to be moved & me kicking my heels at home. Nothing changed but at least the internet does give you a better update of fixture changes.

• Like 1

I did say some of it . and ti's obvious you are a bit sceptical about the existence of the other article where it says about him driving the Ochiltrees out , so as soon as I have a few minutes Ill do an internet search and find it ,

Me sceptical? :shock: I know how much you admire Sandhu. :lol: It would be good to confirm it though in view of the fact others have heard a different story,

I don't think I'll even get the chance somehow but I've got Anne Widdecombe on standby just in case.

If not Susan Boyle would be a good shout.

• Like 1

I don't understand the fuss about Sandhu forcing Martin O & his mother out.

Anyone who has been around a while will have seen this type of situation in everyday business. Someone buys out a company, when public announcement is made

it invariably includes the words " So & So the previous owner will be continuing as director of the new company" , all intended to keep the existing customers sweet.

A few months later when the new owner has his feet under the table the former owner is eased out. The practise has been going on for for years, no big deal really.

Edited by Dave Jones
  • Like 1

I can't believe that any real comment about the Bees situation has been released by Horton/Watson about the "negotiations " going on. It's not a world secret but a sporting club in a city (or near) aiming to be a City of culture, not to mention Sisu/Cov City. The supporters of Stock cars/Speedway deserve better. Are we the victim of a major conspiracy we don't know and perhaps never will. Let's hope It's made difficult to build houses as they seem to wish!. Regret that Speedway is now a failing sport look at strengths of Elite sorry Premier league riders. Regret that I will sadly miss my Speedway. Went to Brandon first in1948 and haven't missed a Bees meeting for 12 years so I class myself as an avid Speedway supporter. Will become a TV supporter and that will be the end of live viewing together with cancellation of my weekly Speedway Star. Sorry folks

Seem to me there is a lot more that needs investigating here than the disputed ownership of fixtures and fittings. IMO None of the parties involved come out of this with any credit including bspa

Im a tad more upbeat about our future than I was a couple of days ago. Still nervous as hell though.

Im a tad more upbeat about our future than I was a couple of days ago. Still nervous as hell though.

has something new happened to make you more upbeat ?

I also used to travel all over the place watching Poole in the 80's & remember having an afternoon off work to visit Arena Essex weeks in advance for the meeting to be moved & me kicking my heels at home. Nothing changed but at least the internet does give you a better update of fixture changes.

There wasn't a speedway updates service in those days, let alone the internet. We used to have to wait until almost midnight to find out that days speedway results on Teletext/Oracle, sometimes not up until the next day.

• Like 3