British Speedway Forum

There wasn't a speedway updates service in those days, let alone the internet. We used to have to wait until almost midnight to find out that days speedway results on Teletext/Oracle, sometimes not up until the next day.

I remember as a younger lad in the mid-late 90s sneaking off upstairs with the phone to call the club hotline* to see how we were doing in away meetings. It was that or wait for teletext to loop around the 8 pages only to find the result had not been updated and have to wait for it to look around again!

Ah, the good old days :D

*and then getting told off when the phone bill turned up :D

Edited by SCB

I remember as a younger lad in the mid-late 90s sneaking off upstairs with the phone to call the club hotline* to see how we were doing in away meetings. It was that or wait for teletext to loop around the 8 pages only to find the result had not been updated and have to wait for it to look around again!

Ahhh yes, I remember the frustrations of those multi pages very well. I didn't realise you were that old!!

• Like 3

has something new happened to make you more upbeat ?

Not that I know for certain. I get told the odd rumour and to me it seems there is hope, I thought it was the end the other day so anything is better than that. Of course it can still go either way, I'm not exactly confident of a positive result but if some are still talking then there must be a will to sort it out.

I spent many early mornings before my paper round checking the results. Kids have it easy these days 😂

Nigel Pearson has tweeted to the effect that negotiations are still ongoing, and that at this stage we should remain hopeful of a positive outcome, so hang on in there, retribution and criticism of all involved parties may be best held for another day.

• Like 3

It's been looking very bleak for the Bees but fingers and everything else crossed that a solution can be found. Wouldn't be the same without those visits to Brandon.

In the 60's I lived on the main road between Leicester and Cov , there was a chippy at the bottom of our street , when i couldn't get to home meetings , i used to stand outside the chippy at about 10 oclock , and wait for someone with a bees sticker (or leicester ) to stop for chips , and get the result off them . Ah the good old days when speedway was big enough to do that ,, even had the option of going to the bus station and waiting for the speedway special to come in

• Like 5

Nigel Pearson has tweeted to the effect that negotiations are still ongoing, and that at this stage we should remain hopeful of a positive outcome, so hang on in there, retribution and criticism of all involved parties may be best held for another day.

Ahhh Nigel Pearson reminds us all to be upbeat - as negotiations are still ongoing.

How does he know?

After all, isn't this the same Nigel Pearson who has reminded Cradley Heath Suppoters about being positive and upbeat - about a return to a vicinity near their former home?

You only have to listen to his drivel as a commentator to realise this geeza has got a degree in how to polish a turd.

The bloke spouts as much utter BS as the rest of 'em.

• Like 4

Seems ridiculous that talks have to come down to the wire. The bspa offices close at 5 so three hours of intense negotiations still to continue before something is announced one way or the other.

Bit like transfer deadline day when signings have come into the FA before midnight. But they have had a whole month to sign said player.

Hope some news comes along today one way or the other. No point dragging it out even longer.

Seems ridiculous that talks have to come down to the wire. The bspa offices close at 5 so three hours of intense negotiations still to continue before something is announced one way or the other.

Bit like transfer deadline day when signings have come into the FA before midnight. But they have had a whole month to sign said player.

Hope some news comes along today one way or the other. No point dragging it out even longer.

We have until tomorrow evening not today

Edited to add that Buster is having his Q&A at lunchtime tomorrow so perhaps it will be tonight, tomorrow morning or even the start of the Q&A we will hear something.

Edited by woz01

while there is no announcement still hope then. We need the bee's to come to tapes in march. To famous a club to die like this.

• Like 2

We have until tomorrow evening not today

Edited to add that Buster is having his Q&A at lunchtime tomorrow so perhaps it will be tonight, tomorrow morning or even the start of the Q&A we will hear something.

I stand corrected all week I have been a day out. Fingers crossed for good news.

• Like 1

I stand corrected all week I have been a day out. Fingers crossed for good news.

Oh dear, Mr Shoveller - first it's not knowing left from right, now it's not knowing what day of the week it is

How on earth can anyone believe any of your utterances?