Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

I wasn't following speedway the couple of years wolves were out, how many seasons didn't they run for and what was the reasons

Two...crap crowds,fans not happy with second division(or whatever it was called then)racing. Edited by martin_t

I wasn't following speedway the couple of years wolves were out, how many seasons didn't they run for and what was the reasons

Wolves last top league season was 1980, when the previous promotion left. Dan McCormick then at Cradley, I think as stadium manager (stand to be corrected) took over the promotional reigns at Monmore. He moved Wolves into the lower league (National League) and changed their race night to Sunday afternoon (!) with some Thursday nights. The combination of a lower league, all different riders (no continuity) and changed race night proved to be disastrous. I live less than 1 mile walking distance from the track but couldn't be bothered to go and I could hear the bikes from back garden (!) despite previously being an ardent fan(attended every home and away match in 1976) . Financial pressures meant that the season was cut short with a series of double-headers. I think that if the race-night had been kept the same they might have stood a chance. I did however go on some of the away coach trips to see new tracks and some were legendary :D

Forward to 1984 and Peter Adams revived the Wolves in their traditional top league position.

• Like 1

MOVE THE LOT TO OXFORD

Is Oxford a viable stadium these ,could it be used seeing as it closed down when Mick Horton was the last promoter there would anyone want speedway back at Cowley under his control and would the hardcore Coventry supporters be willing to travel there . If it was viable why hasn't any would be promoter taken a chance with it.

• Like 1

Is Oxford a viable stadium these ,could it be used seeing as it closed down when Mick Horton was the last promoter there would anyone want speedway back at Cowley under his control and would the hardcore Coventry supporters be willing to travel there . If it was viable why hasn't any would be promoter taken a chance with it.

The reason why there is no speedway at Oxford at the moment is because the current stadium owners won't allow it.

If they would then I'm sure there would be an Oxford team riding there. It's not because there is no one willing to promote at Oxford or it is not viable etc.

MOVE THE LOT TO OXFORD

Good idea mate, but the fans wont move outside there comfort zone..

Oxford is not a viable proposition at this time. See an ongoing thread in speedway news and discussions.

• Like 2

If not decided tomorrow it will get extended again and again

Hopefully!

Can't see why the BSPA can't issue the fixture list with Coventry included.

Far easier to take 28 fixtures out of the list if Coventry do not run, than to put in 28 fixtures if there is a late stay of execution.

• Like 2

Hopefully!

Can't see why the BSPA can't issue the fixture list with Coventry included.

Far easier to take 28 fixtures out of the list if Coventry do not run, than to put in 28 fixtures if there is a late stay of execution.

Bspa & common sense has never been in the same sentence sadly.

• Like 2

Oxford and Horton is not a happy mix.

Oxford and Horton is not a happy mix.

Wrong Horton.

Brother Colin I recall closed Oxford Speedway.

• Like 1

Wrong Horton.

I know but "a rose by any other name"

.......Stevebrum.......Darcy has already said Coventry won't be welcome to ride at Leicester, I assume you read the article?

Obviously Starman hasn't or he wouldn't keep banging on about Coventry using the Beaumont Park track. Can someone else tell him because I've lost what patience I had, which wasn't much in the first place.

• Like 2

Good idea mate, but the fans wont move outside there comfort zone..

Good idea? You really are a total halfwit.

It's even worse than your idea to relocate us to Leicester, Wolves, Birmingham etc.

Have you ever tried to get down the M40 / A34 on a weeknight? How many Coventry fans would do that?

I realise you never leave Poole and it probably takes you about 5 minutes to get to Wimborne Road on your Penny Farthing, but think about what you're posting!

• Like 7