British Speedway Forum

Obviously Starman hasn't or he wouldn't keep banging on about Coventry using the Beaumont Park track. Can someone else tell him because I've lost what patience I had, which wasn't much in the first place.

He would have to read a post and digest for that to happen.

It won't happen sadly.

• Like 1

Good idea? You really are a total halfwit.

It's even worse than your idea to relocate us to Leicester, Wolves, Birmingham etc.

Have you ever tried to get down the M40 / A34 on a weeknight? How many Coventry fans would do that?

I realise you never leave Poole and it probably takes you about 5 minutes to get to Wimborne Road on your Penny Farthing, but think about what you're posting!

Penny Farthing ? He probably arrives there on the back of a Woolly Mammoth !

• Like 1

Surely he arrives with Middlo? He's so far up his backside I doubt he's ever out of there!

Surely he arrives with Middlo? He's so far up his backside I doubt he's ever out of there!

Just 1 question, where does he keep the Stars ? :D

On someone's Facebook post Jeremy Heaver said that it's Brandon Estates causing the issues not Horton or Stox. Brandon Estates won't give Sandhu a lease I wonder why?

• Like 1

On someone's Facebook post Jeremy Heaver said that it's Brandon Estates causing the issues not Horton or Stox. Brandon Estates won't give Sandhu a lease I wonder why?

All over then ?

Bit different when Plymouth is 2 and half hours, probably same as Somerset. 30 mins is what I have to do to get to Poole. So I think it is the venue that is the problem not the distance.

If Weymouth were open - and the ground for the track is still there - would those Poole fans travel ?

I don't think its the venue at all. I think it is the distance to a degree but more so the fact that Brandon Stadium is still there.

June has put the supporters position excellently in her post above and, indeed, I am struggling to think of an occasion when track sharing has worked when the interlopers stadium was still in existence.

All over then ?

That's always been the main issue. Seems there are still talks as Heaver still wants plan A (Brandon).

Edited by woz01

Wolves last top league season was 1980, when the previous promotion left. Dan McCormick then at Cradley, I think as stadium manager (stand to be corrected) took over the promotional reigns at Monmore. He moved Wolves into the lower league (National League) and changed their race night to Sunday afternoon (!) with some Thursday nights. The combination of a lower league, all different riders (no continuity) and changed race night proved to be disastrous. I live less than 1 mile walking distance from the track but couldn't be bothered to go and I could hear the bikes from back garden (!) despite previously being an ardent fan(attended every home and away match in 1976) . Financial pressures meant that the season was cut short with a series of double-headers. I think that if the race-night had been kept the same they might have stood a chance. I did however go on some of the away coach trips to see new tracks and some were legendary :D

Forward to 1984 and Peter Adams revived the Wolves in their traditional top league position.

When Poole went belly up in 1984 It was Weymouth that saved Poole. We dropped to the National League had our race night moved to a Tuesday would you believe in 1985 (It's all Weymuth's fault we exist). Only riders I associated with Poole were Stan Bear & Kevin Smith They even changed the teamms nickname to the Wildcats.It was the best thing that happened to the team suddenly we became tittle contenders most years (OK with dodgy 2 point Australians in the team most years). Just not to follow them in the lower division is hard to believe but off race nights is the hardest part as you have a routine.

Obviously Starman hasn't or he wouldn't keep banging on about Coventry using the Beaumont Park track. Can someone else tell him because I've lost what patience I had, which wasn't much in the first place.

He has a point as Coventry do have options not too far away, but I know why people do not travel & after a while the novelty will wear off because it just isn't Brandon. A lot of fans will be put off by the extra traveling involved in the end and then you are dependent of the host tracks fans attending twice a week which is cost ineffective. A bit like Peterborough years ago that raced 2 or three times a week and then no meetings for a couple of weeks. It is hard on family expenses and then you start losing the habit going.

• Like 2

After reading Jeremy Heavers comments in the save Coventry stadium page on FB it doesn't look like much has changed. Sandhu can't get a lease and Brandon Estates just seem to be holding out. Not quite sure why all the talks have dragged on this far, I guess it's a case of watch this space or a last minute change of heart and it gets sorted.

P**sed of fans and I imagine one very annoyed councilor.

After reading Jeremy Heavers comments in the save Coventry stadium page on FB it doesn't look like much has changed. Sandhu can't get a lease and Brandon Estates just seem to be holding out. Not quite sure why all the talks have dragged on this far, I guess it's a case of watch this space or a last minute change of heart and it gets sorted.

Councillor? You're having a laugh, they pulled out weeks ago! :o

Playing the blame game. He was blaming it all on Horton previously for not signing the lease???

• Like 1

If you took over a venue which had been 'vandalised' to such a degree by the outgoing owners - enough to call in the police to investigate - would you be keen to offer a new lease arrangement to the same people? - especially if the previous owners were also reluctant to sign a sub-lease with a new head-lease owner?

• Like 1