British Speedway Forum

You are without doubt the stupidest man I have ever come across. I'm speechless! :rofl:

Yep you said it yourself. Go through my posts from last night on here and see if you came back with the same conclusion.. But nah, you wont do that will you... :icon_smile_clown: Met your sort before..

Edited by Starman2006

and after all that you totally ignore the most important people , the fans , remember them ? , if the fans say it's too expensive for them then that's the bee all and end all , doesn't matter a jot what riders think they are not the important aspect in all this , we all know people who don't go to speedway because it's too expensive for them , not everyone in life has bags of disposable income , yes the sport has big issues and God knows it's got to promote itself and get more value but none of that matters if you don't make it tempting to people , I know how much this sport costs to ride and I know how much money riders make and I also know some folk who would love to attend every week but just can't afford the £18 so they don't go , the sport is too expensive for a lot of supporters and potential supporters and that's a fact , ignore it and we will disappear into the history books , the sport needs to finance itself differently , the bills need to be paid by sponsors so what comes through the turnstiles is a bonus , easier said than done but done it must be , the current model of costs go up so put that all on the fans is wrong and the fans has chose to desert us

Good post. As i said elsewhere, i speak to many fans who used to be regulars who can no longer afford to go every week now. So like many have to pick and choose.

Edited by Starman2006

If you are a Soton fan i'd ask for a refund... :rofl: :rofl:

I've stirred up a right Hornets nest now. I won't be asking for a refund, I'm a gooner!

and after all that you totally ignore the most important people , the fans , remember them ? , if the fans say it's too expensive for them then that's the bee all and end all , doesn't matter a jot what riders think they are not the important aspect in all this , we all know people who don't go to speedway because it's too expensive for them , not everyone in life has bags of disposable income , yes the sport has big issues and God knows it's got to promote itself and get more value but none of that matters if you don't make it tempting to people , I know how much this sport costs to ride and I know how much money riders make and I also know some folk who would love to attend every week but just can't afford the £18 so they don't go , the sport is too expensive for a lot of supporters and potential supporters and that's a fact , ignore it and we will disappear into the history books , the sport needs to finance itself differently , the bills need to be paid by sponsors so what comes through the turnstiles is a bonus , easier said than done but done it must be , the current model of costs go up so put that all on the fans is wrong and the fans has chose to desert us

Absolutely spot on, Dean :approve:

I certainly believe that rider demands have played a part in speedway struggling to keep its head above water. Some seem to believe that it is a full time occupation and not only is it not now, it never has been. I can recall Tony Davey, an England International and 9.00 British League heat leader, saying in the 70's that he had to sell his car to buy a new engine. Mick Bell, one time Coventry and Reading second string/reserve, once said that speedway was nothing more than a good paying hobby.

Only the top boys - then as now - did well out of it.

But its not just finance. Track surfaces and conditions are constantly subject to their interference, usually to the detriment of the racing. Sheffield is the classic example : a superb racing track destroyed by rider demands. It says everything about their attitude that when Scunthorpe, by far and away the best circuit in the country, was named track of the year they took to the internet in droves to make derisory, critical and mocking comments.

My intention here is not, in anyway, to blame riders entirely for the situation that the sport is in - that would be grossly unfair. But there has to be a realisation on their part that the paying fan comes first (and last) every single time. If they have to take a pay cut so that entrance charges do not increase, so be it. If the track is prepared in a way to maximise customer satisfaction, shut up complaining and get on with it.

• Like 5

I certainly believe that rider demands have played a part in speedway struggling to keep its head above water. Some seem to believe that it is a full time occupation and not only is it not now, it never has been. I can recall Tony Davey, an England International and 9.00 British League heat leader, saying in the 70's that he had to sell his car to buy a new engine. Mick Bell, one time Coventry and Reading second string/reserve, once said that speedway was nothing more than a good paying hobby.

My intention here is not, in anyway, to blame riders entirely for the situation that the sport is in - that would be grossly unfair. But there has to be a realisation on their part that the paying fan comes first (and last) every single time. If they have to take a pay cut so that entrance charges do not increase, so be it. If the track is prepared in a way to maximise customer satisfaction, shut up complaining and get on with it.

I wouldn't say grossly unfair they have to take some of the blame. You cite tracks being prepared to maximise customer satifaction. Do you realise how much PROPER shale costs, 30 ton wouldn't last us half a season.. If you don't get people through the gate niether can be done.

• Like 1

horton should provide an incentive to fans to travel to leicester maybe something along the lines of half price admission as and wen the bees return to brandon for those fans that dont miss a match at leicester....

• Like 1

horton should provide an incentive to fans to travel to leicester maybe something along the lines of half price admission as and wen the bees return to brandon for those fans that dont miss a match at leicester....

Shouldn't that be if, not when..

Halifax Town £16.

I'm not sure you'll see Messi or Bale for that which, the posters imply, I think. NKI or Hancock for £12.

I'm not sure you'll see Messi or Bale for that which, the posters imply, I think. NKI or Hancock for £12.

i assume this messi and bale are footballers , if so there wages are paid for by sponsors and other incomes because there is not enough people who attend football match to pay the big wages they earn Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

Only the top boys - then as now - did well out of it.

But its not just finance. Track surfaces and conditions are constantly subject to their interference, usually to the detriment of the racing. Sheffield is the classic example : a superb racing track destroyed by rider demands. It says everything about their attitude that when Scunthorpe, by far and away the best circuit in the country, was named track of the year they took to the internet in droves to make derisory, critical and mocking comments.

Excellent Post,spot on IMO.

Leamington FC which is Southern Premier League (step 7 in the pyramid) is £11.

I went to the lovely Ricoh arena and watched premier league rugby for £15 and kids went free, great value for money and I really enjoyed it even though I am not a rugby fan.

I also went to watch a championship football match and the ticket was £16 in a nice seated stadium, yet I pay £18 to stand watching a sport that has poor facilities and teams often filled with other teams riders plus where the tractor driver does more laps than the riders while listening to a babbling person given a microphone to entertain the crowd.

Speedway promoters don't know how to improve the popularity of the sport as there heads are stuck in the sand.

• Like 6

I went to the lovely Ricoh arena and watched premier league rugby for £15 and kids went free, great value for money and I really enjoyed it even though I am not a rugby fan.

I also went to watch a championship football match and the ticket was £16 in a nice seated stadium, yet I pay £18 to stand watching a sport that has poor facilities and teams often filled with other teams riders plus where the tractor driver does more laps than the riders while listening to a babbling person given a microphone to entertain the crowd.

Speedway promoters don't know how to improve the popularity of the sport as there heads are stuck in the sand.

i assume this messi and bale are footballers , if so there wages are paid for by sponsors and other incomes because there is not enough people who attend football match to pay the big wages they earn

Fair play £12 it is then Edited by TMW

Championship match for £16? It was about £22 for League one footy at the Ricoh! I've been to 2 away games and I don't think I've paid less that £25. I agree with Wasps prices, brilliant. You have a choice, cheap seats £15 U10s free and if you want to splash out you can do.

Disappointing that DWP says " I'm not going to tell you what my rider gets per point in each country" Hmmm says it all. Most fans would be staggered if they knew of the extent of rider's deals - not just per point, but inc. ALL of the "extras" that's why no rider ever makes it public. 6 bikes, 3 vans. and then we hear " at the end of the day there is not much personally for him". That is being ridiculous! Fans are not so stupid as to believe that. Please, DWP do tell that rider to get an 9 -5 job if we are expected to believe in his "plight"!

As for feeling sorry for Buster or any promoter re finding sponsors the BSPA has had 15 years of being on Sky and have never bothered ( did they try?) to use the TV as a marketing tool. Fans have chosen to walk away because the product they get at an average match is very poor value ( more than just too expensive, which it is). It's no good just " talking it up" because that will not put more bums on seats and when these hordes of new fans experience what they get at a live in stadium match they are unlikely to go back or talk it up with their friends when they get home. Thank God that they do not know how much the riders are getting! And if there is very little profit in it for promoters ( after including what sponsors put in ) none of them would continue to run speedway. They are businessmen and women as well as fans of the sport but they are not going to pour too much good money after bad are they! Of course they are making much less profit than the days when crowds were measured in their thousands rather than their hundreds and it is very likely at the point where it is not worth carrying on. I accept that.

• Like 3