British Speedway Forum

I just don't see how the challenge meetings will work!?!

With no income from home meetings the finances would have to be raised by the hosting team.

To make it viable, attendances would have to double to which will never be likely.

I can't see 1000+ travelling Bees fans going around the country for what are in all tense and purposes pointless meetings.

How can you defend Sandhu? 100% the reason Coventry are defunct.

I think I gave my opinion Steve!

Each to their own, I'm not interested in challenge meetings..

Can you explain why, please?

It's still speedway racing, riders endeavouring to be first to the chequered flag, as part of one seven man line-up against another

Whether it's a challenge match, a league match, a cup match, or whatever - it's still a speedway meeting, so why no interest?

Edited by Midland Red

How can you defend Sandhu? 100% the reason Coventry are defunct.

How can you defend Sandhu, Horton, Brandon Estates or the BSPA ? , and at he same time how can you blame Sandhu, Horton, Bandon Estates or the BSPA ?

After all the pages about Coventry, the stadium and the lot listed above the only TRUE fact that is known up to now is that there is no team running next season called Coventry Bee's. Everything else about whats gone on are thoughts and hearsay sofar, HELLS BELLS we are speedway supporters so we are expected to know nothing, say nothing and just continue to hand over our hard earned money to someone or other during the season and be grateful for what we get.

The chances of 99% of us finding out the real truth about what is / has been going on in the near future is next to nil.

Everyone please remember we are all as speedway supporters just mushrooms (as in kept in the dark and just fed a constant supply of Bullsh1t)

• Like 2

Of course the riders loved him. He was paying good wages as he was a benefactor . He threatened to pull out over wanting to strengthen the side mid season. Wanting to bring in kylmakorpi even though the rules prohibited it and then there was further toys thrown out of the pram over the season of discontent with the team strengths. Peterborough and Coventry were deplorable at that time. Had sandhu never stepped foot in Coventry there would be no mess now.

I don't get the sympathy and justification towards him.

He promised you speedway long term. No sale until a new stadium was found.

He promised you funds for this season.

Blaming others is like blaming the guy who installed the china shop window for the damage after a bull had ploughed through it

• Like 4

How can you defend Sandhu, Horton, Brandon Estates or the BSPA ? , and at he same time how can you blame Sandhu, Horton, Bandon Estates or the BSPA ?

After all the pages about Coventry, the stadium and the lot listed above the only TRUE fact that is known up to now is that there is no team running next season called Coventry Bee's. Everything else about whats gone on are thoughts and hearsay sofar, HELLS BELLS we are speedway supporters so we are expected to know nothing, say nothing and just continue to hand over our hard earned money to someone or other during the season and be grateful for what we get.

The chances of 99% of us finding out the real truth about what is / has been going on in the near future is next to nil.

Everyone please remember we are all as speedway supporters just mushrooms (as in kept in the dark and just fed a constant supply of Bullsh1t)

Way over the top reaction to blame everyone. Yes Coventry fans and Speedway has lost their track, and therefore no speedway, but the facts to judge who is/was to blame are there for all to see.

Unless one doesn't want to know the facts.

Can you explain why, please?

It's still speedway racing, riders endeavouring to be first to the chequered flag, as part of one seven man line-up against another

Whether it's a challenge match, a league match, a cup match, or whatever - it's still a speedway meeting, so why no interest?

....Just not interested in meetings of that ilk.

I want to watch a meeting that means something either for my team, league position to get to the play offs, or the World championship meetings. I just don't get the buzz from challenges or individuals.

Nothing wrong with that is there?

• Like 1

Not a Coventry fan & not wanting to wind you guys up, but this has to lay at the feet of Horton and the old BSPA regime. They ****ed Sahduh over back in the day & its never really been the same since. When he first bought the club I assumed like most the writing was on the wall. However he came in, spruced up the stadium, put together quality, successful teams & everything was going well. Like him or not he invested a lot into the bees. The BSPA knew this and more importantly both the bees as a team and Brandon as a Stadium where jewels in the British Speedway crown, however rather than work with him, did the opposite.

Since he's gone the writing really has been on the wall. How they thought Mich Horton being in charge (he should never have been allowed back near a Speedway team after previous happenings) was a good thing I'll never know.

I sincerely hope the Bees are saved and back in 2018.

Only one person bought the stadium to sell and close the club down.

And guess what???? It's happened!!!

Horton may not be innocent but he isn't the main guilty party here.

Part of me thinks that Sandhu sold the club to Mick Horton, thinking/hoping he'd fail in the first two years....

Mick has made some howlers, no denying it. He even admits he been wrong. That's say's more to me then it does about Sandhu!

I've always believed Mick Horton has had the right intentions, he just wasn't smart enough to see he was being shafted by Sandhu and Brandon Estates!

• Like 2

I just don't see how the challenge meetings will work!?!

With no income from home meetings the finances would have to be raised by the hosting team.

To make it viable, attendances would have to double to which will never be likely.

I can't see 1000+ travelling Bees fans going around the country for what are in all tense and purposes pointless meetings.

Challenge meetings are done quite often where the hosting team pays both sets of riders. Add to that individual events where the hosting club will pay for all riders competing. Edited by woz01

Im saying there were a few events that lead us to this position

• Like 1

Its irrelevant really whether its Horton or Sandhu at fault over Coventry s demise, the truth is neither should have been allowed within the sport in the first place. The supporters were skeptical when Sandhu was widely hailed as our saviour and even more so when Horton arrived on the back of all previous track closures associated with his family.

Neither of these people should ever be able to run a whelk stall again, let alone any involvement with Speedway.

Horton has made some appalling errors as promoter, and even at the end, his treatment of the riders lined up to race in 2017 was simply dreadful.

By his decisions he has driven fans away in their droves, his latest was alienating all the Over 60s (of which there were plenty) by withdrawing their discount, but there was the issue with NSSC (and others) which was simply beyond belief. The supporters were treated with no respect, and in return, they offered these idiots none in return.

Having gone through the Cradley debacle, I am really pessimistic on a return in 2018, the council will offer words of comfort, but in reality do not have the finances even if they have the will to bring about a return.

So supporters have the decision as I did, to become a nomad fan, at Leicester, Birmingham Cradley or Wolves, but it will never be the same again, saving a miracle.

• Like 1

It says in the Observer that as well as the Peterborough challenge meeting they are also looking at possible other meeting where money would go to the Coventry riders.

This would be good for keeping the bees on track

....Just not interested in meetings of that ilk.

I want to watch a meeting that means something either for my team, league position to get to the play offs, or the World championship meetings. I just don't get the buzz from challenges or individuals.

Nothing wrong with that is there?

No, nothing wrong with that at all

It's just that, to me, a speedway race in a challenge match is no different from a speedway race in a league or cup match

It's speedway - don't you want to watch speedway when it's available, when the riders are racing?

At the end of the day, the title of the meeting is fairly irrelevant if you are a fan of the sport

If you just want to tag on to a particular team, when they're approaching or in the play-offs, fair enough

As I've said before, we used to turn up every Saturday at Brandon (1st Saturday of the month excepted) to watch the speedway, irrespective of what the meeting was - and in midweek for Midland Cup matches etc

I worked in Birmingham for a time, so I also went to Perry Barr on a Monday night straight from the office

And living halfway between Coventry and Leicester, I rarely missed a meeting a Blackbird Road for many a year

And it didn't matter what the meetings were - it was live speedway!

It's always been the sport that's the attraction - yes, you like to see your favourite rider or team do well, but it was always the thrill of the sport that was the attraction - still is

Doesn't pay for us all to be the same!