Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

i don't want to be pessimistic but i think the only way the bees will be back on track will be when they find a new site. Thats the most important thing to work on now! 6 months ago they said that the bees aren't a major concern while they have a track to race on. Now they don't.

feelings are raw so thats what needs to be done.

put pressure on the councils to make this a priority! or this may be the end

• Like 1

No, nothing wrong with that at all

It's just that, to me, a speedway race in a challenge match is no different from a speedway race in a league or cup match

It's speedway - don't you want to watch speedway when it's available, when the riders are racing?

At the end of the day, the title of the meeting is fairly irrelevant if you are a fan of the sport

If you just want to tag on to a particular team, when they're approaching or in the play-offs, fair enough

As I've said before, we used to turn up every Saturday at Brandon (1st Saturday of the month excepted) to watch the speedway, irrespective of what the meeting was - and in midweek for Midland Cup matches etc

I worked in Birmingham for a time, so I also went to Perry Barr on a Monday night straight from the office

And living halfway between Coventry and Leicester, I rarely missed a meeting a Blackbird Road for many a year

And it didn't matter what the meetings were - it was live speedway!

It's always been the sport that's the attraction - yes, you like to see your favourite rider or team do well, but it was always the thrill of the sport that was the attraction - still is

Doesn't pay for us all to be the same!

Thing is when you are at a challenge meeting and your team is losing you are not that bothered cos it doesn't matter, whereas in a league meeting you desperately want them to win. So I would go with Jacques POV. I don't tend to go to challenge meetings anymore but i would try and go if I liked a few of the riders on the opposite team. I kind of limit myself to the summer hols and the playoffs so I don't find it that difficult!

At least the Riders are not owed money by Sandhu, , bet the Leicester and Belle Vue Riders would rather be in their shoes, how do you pay bills with IOU's.

Im saying there were a few events that lead us to this position

Of course, a catalogue of events none can come out with much credit from.

My only main point is that without the sale of the stadium then Brandon Estates wouldn't be holding all the cards and none of these events would be an issue!

Challenge meetings are done quite often where the hosting team pays both sets of riders. Add to that individual events where the hosting club will pay for all riders competing.

Challenge meetings are done often but at the top 2 levels it's usually the opening meeting of a season thus bringing in decent crowds due to the winter break.

Most challenge matches that take place throughout the season tend to be of NL standard.

Fact, when the real stuff starts Premiership / Championship fans of the host club will not be interested.

That may come across as harsh with the position Coventry are in but that's how it is.

I raised this at NSSC meeting when Brandon was sold the figure quoted was 2.7 million, latest figure appears to be 2..2 million. If these figures are correct what happened to the money between 2.2 and 2.7 millions. I have a theory but for legal reasons I am not going to reveal my theory. Strange world isn't it. Sadly with Mick Horton missing (if any sale goes through) we don't have a figurehead to lead the Bees into 2018 unless there is strong pressure brought to to the table by supporters.

I'm definitely interested in the Peterborough one because that was already planned so I hope it still goes ahead.

You might have liked my post Fliss44 but I have an idea False watsit may be quietly hoping it doesn't happen. :D

Its irrelevant really whether its Horton or Sandhu at fault over Coventry s demise, the truth is neither should have been allowed within the sport in the first place. The supporters were skeptical when Sandhu was widely hailed as our saviour and even more so when Horton arrived on the back of all previous track closures associated with his family.

Neither of these people should ever be able to run a whelk stall again, let alone any involvement with Speedway.

Horton has made some appalling errors as promoter, and even at the end, his treatment of the riders lined up to race in 2017 was simply dreadful.

By his decisions he has driven fans away in their droves, his latest was alienating all the Over 60s (of which there were plenty) by withdrawing their discount, but there was the issue with NSSC (and others) which was simply beyond belief. The supporters were treated with no respect, and in return, they offered these idiots none in return.

Having gone through the Cradley debacle, I am really pessimistic on a return in 2018, the council will offer words of comfort, but in reality do not have the finances even if they have the will to bring about a return.

So supporters have the decision as I did, to become a nomad fan, at Leicester, Birmingham Cradley or Wolves, but it will never be the same again, saving a miracle.

So Sandhu should never have been allowed into speedway? Er, I don't think he was. He bought a stadium that staged speedway with a view to using it for housing. That was 12 years ago - to be honest we are lucky to have got to 2016 with speedway still on the site. Had it not been for the morons running the sport, he would probably still be in charge and the Bees flourishing. Unlike Horton, he was supporter friendly, despite his initial reasons for buying Brandon. As for not running a whelk stall, I think you'll find he has been far more successful in business than any current speedway promoter. I fully understand your dismay but there are some silly statements in that piece.

• Like 3

Of course, a catalogue of events none can come out with much credit from.

My only main point is that without the sale of the stadium then Brandon Estates wouldn't be holding all the cards and none of these events would be an issue!

I guess that was a tipping point bud yes...

• Like 1

So Sandhu should never have been allowed into speedway? Er, I don't think he was. He bought a stadium that staged speedway with a view to using it for housing. That was 12 years ago - to be honest we are lucky to have got to 2016 with speedway still on the site. Had it not been for the morons running the sport, he would probably still be in charge and the Bees flourishing. Unlike Horton, he was supporter friendly, despite his initial reasons for buying Brandon. As for not running a whelk stall, I think you'll find he has been far more successful in business than any current speedway promoter. I fully understand your dismay but there are some silly statements in that piece.

yes sandhu bought the stadium , he spent loads doing it up , he seemed to get attached to speedway , he did spend vast amounts on riders, harris , schlien and others have nothing but praise for the way he run things and it must be said the bees were very proffesional and very successful when he was in charge , being probably the richest promoter out there the bspa got twitchy and chased him out he wanted an independent body but it fell on deaf ears , he then lost all interest and seemed to have it in for the bspa , the bees suffered as a result of this , i agree thou if he hadnt been chased out , the bees would probably still be running now ....

• Like 2

How can you defend Sandhu? 100% the reason Coventry are defunct.

100% Steve?

Coventry would probably still be running if your promoter hadn't of shafted him.

• Like 5

As someone said Sandhu is in a different League,when it comes to business, bit like Donald Trump against Del Boy and Boysie.

yes sandhu bought the stadium , he spent loads doing it up. i agree thou if he hadnt been chased out , the bees would probably still be running now ....

Irrelevant, Sandhu bought the stadium to sell.

It was only a matter of time before he closed the place down.

Nothing was going to change that.

• Like 3

I would suggest that what happened in 2010-2011 has nothing to with the situation we are in now. The bank sold Brandon not Sandhu to pay off loan debts.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 2