British Speedway Forum

OK I'm a simple soul.

If I'd paid £2.7M for a piece of land, would I pay someone else to use it?

I heard on the video from last Friday that Brandon Estates had deposited £50K in a bank under an escrow agreement as the first payment of a total of £200K to Mick Horton as part of his lease agreement.

Someone else has posted that Brandon Estates were giving Mick Horton £240K over 3 years.

Either way, what gives? Brandon Estates ain't a charity

Sandhu and Heaver claimed they were the ones that negotiated sponsorship from Brandon Estates to Coventry Bees. I'm assuming this was for that? I'm not totally sure but I think it was claimed the sponsorship was 60k? Seems all rather fishy considering Brandon Estates stance to Sandhu and Horton claimed he paid 200k for the club which is precisely the amount you've just quoted.

Sandhu and Heaver claimed they were the ones that negotiated sponsorship from Brandon Estates to Coventry Bees. I'm assuming this was for that? I'm not totally sure but I think it was claimed the sponsorship was 60k? Seems all rather fishy considering Brandon Estates stance to Sandhu and Horton claimed he paid 200k for the club which is precisely the amount you've just quoted.

OK I'm a simple soul.

If I'd paid £2.7M for a piece of land, would I pay someone else to use it?

I heard on the video from last Friday that Brandon Estates had deposited £50K in a bank under an escrow agreement as the first payment of a total of £200K to Mick Horton as part of his lease agreement.

Someone else has posted that Brandon Estates were giving Mick Horton £240K over 3 years.

Either way, what gives? Brandon Estates ain't a charity

I though Cllr Stokes had said that BE had agreed to financially support the Speedway Club in exchange for being placed on the 5 year plan, although no guarantee after being placed on said plan

I though Cllr Stokes had said that BE had agreed to financially support the Speedway Club in exchange for being placed on the 5 year plan, although no guarantee after being placed on said plan

Interesting. Is there a public record of this trade off?

Of course, now, negotiations as per the planning application start over. Unless someone else takes up the running of speedway at Brandon.

BE's stance is, given the above, somewhat clear.

Mick Horton's stance is, maybe, clear in that, despite the financial support offered, he was not prepared to take up the offer of running speedway when it required him to restore the stadium. People should not confuss his £200K paid for the speedway rights with anything to do with the stadium. His expectation was a business with certain financial support and income. He then had to consider that same business with the considable additinal cost of fixing the stadium.

Mr Sandhu's stance is less clear. If he still has expectations (prior to restoring the stadium), we would be pleased to consider them and support them if appropriate.

Any of the parties referred to above, care to comment?

I do believe we have discussed this before re Poole and the blue groove. I am happy to reserve judgement on your track after another visit. In my opinion a track with a decent amount of shale and preparation provides the best racing and passing. For me Poole has not lived up to this

Poole is an awful lot better than it was. We now have proper red shale which binds an awful lot bettter than the old junk.

I don't think he can just place Brandon on the local plan. In fact he said recently that Brandon wouldnt be on the local plan. Edited by woz01

i can't remember the exact wording, although I'm sure if it's that important it could be found, maybe it's on facebook.

Poole is an awful lot better than it was. We now have proper red shale which binds an awful lot bettter than the old junk.

Having seen racing at both, I'd pick Poole everytime.

It'd be better still if they actually watered enough at the start or watered during the meeting. Always dusty by the end whenever I've been. No excuse for it.

Having seen racing at both, I'd pick Poole everytime.

It'd be better still if they actually watered enough at the start or watered during the meeting. Always dusty by the end whenever I've been. No excuse for it.

Curator and staff are only doing what they are told. The track is flooded about 5.30 on a summer night. You cannot do that in the spring or autumn you will have standing water.

Edited by Starman2006

Curator and staff are only doing what they are told. The track is flooded about 5.30 on a summer night. You cannot do that in the spring or autumn you will have standing water.

Fair point, then it should be watered during the meeting.

Fair point, then it should be watered during the meeting.

They are doing what they are told.

Just been reading the Earlsdon Echo about the fate of the Albany pub in Albany Road Earlsfon which it appears to likely that it will close on 16th March. Application is being for the Albany to be given local listing protection and has been given provisional support of Council conservation Officers. Admittedly the Albany is older than Brandon Stadium but age doesn't appear to be crucial to obtain preservation protection. For example Coventry Market is protected as is the circular cafe in the Lower Precinct building built after the Second World War. Brandon is unique there is only one of them in Warwickshire/coventry areas also as I understand it from the meetings which have been going on in the last two years Brandon is listed as a motor sport only stadium. I know this has been aired before surely it is something that should be considered and strongly pursued with a view to stop whatever use that Brandon Estates are proposing houses I guess but if Brandon was listed it would surely strengthen the arguments for either selling the Stadium or allow it be used for what it was built for and is legally licensed for. I think this would make life very difficult for Brandon Estates who at stage have not popped their head above the parapet at least some sort of explanation from them would be appreciated by all interested parties. Just some thoughts on the way they new committee could be pursuing. If it can be done to a pub then surely a speedway stadium could. be pursued in the same way. One would hope that Rugby Council would continue it's support to saving the Stadium. Would also suggest that the local residents should be encouraged to be involved. There appeared to be plenty of support at the meeting held at Brandon Village hall. Good for thought I hope! I would like to thank Councillor Stokes for his work in trying to sort the Brandon situation out

Edited by abbo

Rugby Council rejected the Save cov speedway application to have the stadium listed as an Asset of Community Value (ACV) last year saying the local community doesn't use it. I'd suggest otherwise!

Rugby Council rejected the Save cov speedway application to have the stadium listed as an Asset of Community Value (ACV) last year saying the local community doesn't use it. I'd suggest otherwise!

Not now though.

Not now though.

But it should be. If it is for sale it's worth applying again.

Hall Green Stadium IS an "Asset of the community" but this hasn't prevented Birmingham City Council from approving an application to demolish it and put 200 houses on the site - and in a particularly devious and deceitful way too - after the planning committee had originally voted 9-2 in favour of rejecting the application!

The fact that the stadium was a community Asset counted for nothing.