British Speedway Forum

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/could-coventry-bees-speedway-team-13045516

Not sure this is the answer. Bees fans have voted with their feet before on NL speedway and, despite what Eastbourne and Birmingham fans say, the league isn't a breath of fresh air after top flight speedway.

I wouldn't be happy about missing an attractive Peterborough match, the like of which I saw on Saturday night, to go and watch Coventry V Buxton in a half closed Brandon on a Sunday afternoon.

It may serve as a useful stop gap to try and get us back on track in the short term though.

Edited by CB252

Think it's vitally important we run next season whatever the division. I believe enough fans would support it as we are bloody missing it this season. If we can run it puts pressure on the council to put in place a replacement site in any planning acceptance. We don't run then it's closer to the end. The Save Cov Speedway group suggested Brandon Estates will soon put in a planning application.

Edited by woz01

It's a difficult one, when we came back it was fantastic news but after about 4 years when we realised there's little chance of getting our own place my interest started to wane a bit but I'm glad we're still going because I've realised its NL or nothing and I'm really enjoying it again but we were gone for about 14 years. Coventry fans proberly wouldn't enjoy NL en masse but after 14 years shut might have a different view

• Like 1

its pointless with Horton in charge, no one trust a word he says

with a new promoter then yes i can see the sense for Nl for a few years but Horton has to go!

• Like 2

with a new promoter then yes i can see the sense for Nl for a few years but Horton has to go!

Any ideas ,who might want to run speedway at Cov ? I would imagine there's quite a few in the queue , I honestly don't know how Horton got to be promoter in the first place .when Sandhu washed his hands of speedway there was a long line of people wanting to run Cov ,why didn't one of them get it ?

It would certainly get more backing if someone else suggested the idea. If we are to run then I don't see why Save Cov Speedway can't run the club. Horton has said before he willing to be in the background and let someone else do it.

Surely its more about who is prepared to pay Horton whatever price he may be asking for the Promoter licence - especially if NL level speedway is the only option?!

Or is Horton's licence only applicable for running Premiership speedway?!

Surely its more about who is prepared to pay Horton whatever price he may be asking for the Promoter licence - especially if NL level speedway is the only option?!

The licence covers racing at whatever level - cf Eastbourne, Lakeside, Plymouth etc

• Like 1

Any ideas ,who might want to run speedway at Cov ? I would imagine there's quite a few in the queue , I honestly don't know how Horton got to be promoter in the first place .when Sandhu washed his hands of speedway there was a long line of people wanting to run Cov ,why didn't one of them get it ?

no one knows why sandhu selected Horton. out of all the franchises id suggest there would have been a big queue apart from poole it would have been the best option for any promoter.

i dont think he did a bad job until the last couple of seasons. but after this winter we need a fresh start. who would ride for him? certainly the fans dont trust him.

• Like 1

The thing is if we do ever get a green light on a new stadium or a long-ish lease at Brandon then that would become more valuable than it is now. Mick has nothing to lose really as it cant be worth much at the minute.

no one knows why sandhu selected Horton. out of all the franchises id suggest there would have been a big queue apart from poole it would have been the best option for any promoter.

i dont think he did a bad job until the last couple of seasons. but after this winter we need a fresh start. who would ride for him? certainly the fans dont trust him.

Horton got it because nobody else wanted it ,

• Like 1

Latest suggestion in the Coventry Evening Telegraph suggests that Mick Horton is speculating Sunday afternoon National League speedway is the way to go. As one who attended Natiional League matches at Coventry last season I don't believe this would work it might keep the Bees name going but sadly there wouldn't be enough support and it would fail. Call me a pessimist if you want the numbers attending to support the Storm were low indeed. I appreciate all the hard work Jeff Davies and his group are pursuing but Nationsl League is not the way to go it would be a financial disaster.

• Like 1

Surely the attendances were poor for the Storm as Coventry already were running an Elite team? If it's a stand alone team i'd guess support would be quite reasonable. Some good looking fixtures like Cradley, Birmingham, Eastbourne etc..

• Like 3

.....Some good looking fixtures like Cradley, Birmingham, Eastbourne etc..

Especially if they bring Erik, Jan O, George Major or Gordon Kennett.

I'll get my coat.

• Like 1

Surely the attendances were poor for the Storm as Coventry already were running an Elite team? If it's a stand alone team i'd guess support would be quite reasonable. Some good looking fixtures like Cradley, Birmingham, Eastbourne etc..

Exactly this. For one it wasn't called Coventry Bees, we have missed a whole season of Speedway and it's only one team. I only attended a couple of Storm meetings a year but will attend far more often. Some major hurdles to be crossed before it's even a viable option.

Edited by woz01