British Speedway Forum

Uninspiring but decent enough last set of signings.

Looks like poole and wolves will be clear favourites.

Leicester and Somerset haven't named anyone, but I would be surprised if either name a side cas good as this bees line up.

Reckon the bees team is similar in strength to rye house and swindon (albeit those sides yet to be completed, the swindon team could still go either way ), and a shade stronger than the rumoured aces side.

Kl could name a good, average or poor side.

In summary, the bees sidecwont win the league, it won't finish bottom, it could make the play offs.

I'm pretty sure it will have the strongest treserve pairing in the league. And 5 youngish brits has to be a good thing?

Swindon look pants. And one of Leicester or Somerset is likely to have Schlein so they're going to be off to a good start too. Wolves, I'm not sure, just because I don't have a clue on who they will be signing.

Swindon look pants. And one of Leicester or Somerset is likely to have Schlein so they're going to be off to a good start too. Wolves, I'm not sure, just because I don't have a clue on who they will be signing.

If swindon sign a 3rd hl, then I think their top 5 is equal to any side, albeit that would mean rubbish reserves.

Wolves have fred, Thorssel and I presume masters and clegg to follow, which is the core of a strong team in this comp

If swindon sign a 3rd hl, then I think their top 5 is equal to any side, albeit that would mean rubbish reserves.

Wolves have fred, Thorssel and I presume masters and clegg to follow, which is the core of a strong team in this comp

Bit of a risk for Swindon to sign a 3rd heatleader as that would only leave us with about 4 points for two reserves

Bit of a risk for Swindon to sign a 3rd heatleader as that would only leave us with about 4 points for two reserves

Better than using it on 5pt dross imo
  • Like 1

You'll have to ask Woz, he's always going on about Fricke riding for Coventry.

I was winding up some people. Honestly before the AGM changes I thought we would see him here but that changed once we had the 50pt limit, average conversion and change of manager.

Edited by woz01

Swindon look pants.

Yeah, but hot pants. The Bees look shatner pants.

Interesting side formed. Gone for a Leicester 2016 approach with two strongish reserves and a steady top five.

All Premier League riders last season and probably this season is another interesting note.

I think they also plan perhaps maybe to do a Swindon and sign stronger riders later on in the season.

Perhaps this is just an indication of the leaue strength but this line up reminds me of Birmingham 2014 (poor and went broke) and Leicester 2016 (poor and went broke).

• Like 1

You have really missed the point.

The AGM set out to top slice the league to reduce the overall cost of running a team. And they have succeeded except for clubs who think it sensible to expend a quarter of their points allocation on one rider. That aside, we are looking at the likes of Danny King as true no.1s. If you want to have an unbeatable rider at your no.1 the maths will kill you. People are very critical of the likes of James Sarjeant. Under the draft system he was making steady progress at reserve. Teams were very much built on two levels and we even changed the race formula to account for this. Then we went for allowing these lads to move into the top 5. For James this did him no favours. This wasn't a natural progression, it was batism of fire. Anyway that was then, this is a new set of rules. Having two reserves on around 5 to 6 points will be a massive advantage. Not only will they make a nonsense of a team with one 2 point reserve and a second weak partner, they will compete with the lower part of any 1-5. Stop talking about our ability to win heat 15, the meeting will be over, in our favour, long before we get there.

Whatever the case. I know this latest track development is worrying. But when we get to March and we're stood (no siiting) on the terraces, get behind those boys who pull on your race jackets and cheer your hearts out. Come May it won't be a False dawn. Trust me I'm a professor.

• Like 3

You have really missed the point.

The AGM set out to top slice the league to reduce the overall cost of running a team. And they have succeeded except for clubs who think it sensible to expend a quarter of their points allocation on one rider. That aside, we are looking at the likes of Danny King as true no.1s. If you want to have an unbeatable rider at your no.1 the maths will kill you. People are very critical of the likes of James Sarjeant. Under the draft system he was making steady progress at reserve. Teams were very much built on two levels and we even changed the race formula to account for this. Then we went for allowing these lads to move into the top 5. For James this did him no favours. This wasn't a natural progression, it was batism of fire. Anyway that was then, this is a new set of rules. Having two reserves on around 5 to 6 points will be a massive advantage. Not only will they make a nonsense of a team with one 2 point reserve and a second weak partner, they will compete with the lower part of any 1-5. Stop talking about our ability to win heat 15, the meeting will be over, in our favour, long before we get there.

Whatever the case. I know this latest track development is worrying. But when we get to March and we're stood (no siiting) on the terraces, get behind those boys who pull on your race jackets and cheer your hearts out. Come May it won't be a False dawn. Trust me I'm a professor.

Danny is a #1 at a lower level league team too. If its time to phase out the star names then run 19 teams at PL level. The variety would make up for the missing stars.

• Like 3

Danny is a #1 at a lower level league team too. If its time to phase out the star names then run 19 teams at PL level. The variety would make up for the missing stars.

But thats how it is now. The EL and the PL us the same averages so the same riders will be in both. To decide you think Coventry have a poor team because you think it should be one big league is an odd way of looking at it. All teams will be the same. At least Danny stands a chance of achieving his average, Swindon are starting 1.5 points under the limit because Jason Doyle cannot possibly attain his average.

:D :D

Well, it does seem strange. It's like me posting on a Leicester City football forum that 'I'm out' because I don't fancy the teams chances when I don't even go.

......New era Panthers............ but it will stop them sitting down.....

I see what you did there. :lol: I definitely won't be doing any running but I do take my own seat so I'll be okay. :)

Edited by Gemini

Poor looking team to be honest with Poole and Wolves looking at naming three quality heat leaders that are much stronger than Bees and Rye House naming a strong top four. Swindon still have another heat leader to unveil while we don't know which way Leicester, Kings Lynn and Belle Vue are heading but some do have strong links with riders.

With the concern over work being done at Brandon and the fact Leicester have yet to be even linked to riders, could the plan be that Coventry move to Leicester for 2017 as the new owners are unlikely to invest on improvement to a stadium they have plans to demolish in the near future.

I'm sorry Coventry Speedway fans but that team is poor. I haven't been inspired on 3-4 occasions a season for a while to endure congestion on the M6 to watch the Bee's, I used to. This team wont change that. Think you are hoping allot of the Bjerre's. King will do his job, jury out on Garrity, not sure, not being at Owlerton could help him. Bates is a sensible signing, should improve, not sure next year will be his break through year if he has one. Kerr could be OK. Sarjeant is an awful signing. He could gift less experienced talented 2-6 points because he can't keep his jittery sphincter from continually trying to jump the start.

• Like 2