British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Leslie

Should Greg Hancock Ride For Usa?

It is even more galling when Hancock`s pit crew would have plenty of time from 10pm tonight to get to Poland for Sunday`s league programme-whereas the Poles, Jonsson and Woffinden pit crews are faced with a near impossible trip from tomorrow night to make the same trip in time.

• Like 1

Very disappointing. The perfect American shows his true colours. I don't buy at all the "give the kids a chance" - they will be out of their depth & will learn virtually nothing from riding alongside Janniro. If anything, it would have made more sense if he had stood down than Hancock, those youngsters could have soaked up a lot from his presence. As it is, he can't be bothered. If he was that interested in US speedway, he would be there regardless of any dispute.

All this does is devalue the event & robs the paying public of seeing a world class performer in the UK for only the second time this year.

I wonder what the Tai Woffinden haters will make of this.

• Like 2

I am probably Greg's biggest fan on this forum but I am most disappointed.

Giving a youngster the experience of finishing half a lap behind established stars is disheartening rather than encouraging.

For many, the highlight of tonight's meeting would have been Greg's race with Emil, now denied.

The paying public have been short-changed and the competition devalued.

I still think Greg is a speedway legend, but he has shot himself in the foot here...unless of course he was dropped by his Team Manager.

If a Team decision it's a poor one. If it's Greg's decision, the Team Manager should have vetoed it.

• Like 2

Dispute with the AMA - that'll be not enough money then. "Your true colours shining through"

The quote on the SWC website says "USA have stood down triple world champion Greg Hancock for tonight’s Race Off". That doesn't simply say Greg didn't fancy it to me.

I think there may be more of a story to come out on this one.

Seems so out of character to put all that hard work in on Tuesday and not bother tonight (though BWitcher clearly explained one possible reason for that).

Interesting to see what else emerges.

• Like 1

Really? You think they'll be lapped? They'll all be on the pace.

All this aggro about Greg, I think there'll be more stories unfold in the coming days regarding Aggregate :D

my reply was to foamfence's post that the riders would retire or be lapped.

Excuse my ignorance but I have not seen or heard of the 2 replacements for tonight before

Even if he was dropped it would surely be the team thing to do and be there for the young riders giving all the encouragement he could, whether in the pits or from the terraces. Surely that's the American way, etc.

Hancock also has never ridden this Belle Vue this decision is madness to be honest.Does he not owe the other Nations that Germany would of qualified speedway at times is a complete joke does he get fined.??

Edited by Sidney the robin

Very disappointing. The perfect American shows his true colours. I don't buy at all the "give the kids a chance" - they will be out of their depth & will learn virtually nothing from riding alongside Janniro. If anything, it would have made more sense if he had stood down than Hancock, those youngsters could have soaked up a lot from his presence. As it is, he can't be bothered. If he was that interested in US speedway, he would be there regardless of any dispute.

All this does is devalue the event & robs the paying public of seeing a world class performer in the UK for only the second time this year.

I wonder what the Tai Woffinden haters will make of this.

We still hate Tai :lol:

• Like 1

my reply was to foamfence's post that the riders would retire or be lapped.

Excuse my ignorance but I have not seen or heard of the 2 replacements for tonight before

I don't know much about Becker other than he's highly rated and I've seen a video of him winning a scratch main recently. Nicol though has a lot of talent and is on a par with Janniro, if not better already.

They might not be up with the Doyles and Sayfutdinovs but they certainly won't be getting lapped.

Edited by no-brakes-uk
  • Like 1

I don't know much about Becker other than he's highly rated and I've seen a video of him winning a scratch main recently. Nicol though has a lot of talent and is on a par with Janniro, if not better already.

They might not be up with the Doyles and Sayfutdinovs but they certainly won't be getting lapped.

I can`t see the USA scoring a single point unless less than 4 finish a race.

I can`t see the USA scoring a single point unless less than 4 finish a race.

I agree they are really going to struggle.

Having said that I think this could be Ryan Fisher's kind of track. He's a racer who always has a go. I don't expect him to pick up many but 4 may not be out of the question.

I also think the Russians could ruffle a few feathers as far as the Aussies and Danes are concerned.

Ok so it might be a fair point from Hancock letting the young lads ride and gain what will be valuable experience for them but will Hancock be there in a mentor presence.

Getting chucked in at the deep end is one thing but also giving the young lads some tips and guidance surely would benefit them as well.

• Like 1

Be interesting what spin Hancocks greatest fan puts on his absence in commentary tonight :P

There you go... he's sticking to the 'giving youngsters a chance' party line.

Anyone heard if Hancock is there in the pits helping his team?

• Like 1

If it was always the plan for Hancock to drop out of the race off as reported by Pesrson on TV why did no one think to let the paying fans know.

Shows once again the esteem that riders/officials think of the fans ggggrrrrrrrrr

• Like 2