British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NickRushbrook

Us Speedway Revolution

Hi, I'm English but have maintained an interest in US Speedway for many years and am keen for them to return to their glory years.

There are many people doing a great job with the youngsters from Steve Evans to Hagon Shocks to Billy Hammill.

I love the small US tracks and have visited Costa Mesa on many occasions but I wondered if there was any scope for bigger 'European ' style tracks for the US riders?

It's almost a different sport due to the sheer size difference and makes it tough for these talented youngsters to make the transition in international events.

Luke Becker looked very promising in the SWC. No points scored but very much on the pace.

Regards,

Nick

What's different over in the US now though, compared to the 70's, 80's and 90's? Is it visa issues due to EU rules or just not enough riders now in the US? Seems such a shame as riders from the USA really livened up the British League back in the day. Speedway could really do with that Californian razzle dazzle more than ever at the moment.

Edited by Deano

What's different over in the US now though, compared to the 70's, 80's and 90's? Is it visa issues due to EU rules or just not enough riders now in the US? Seems such a shame as riders from the USA really livened up the British League back in the day. Speedway could really do with that Californian razzle dazzle more than ever at the moment.

Us riders used to be able to come here on a low assesed average .and had to achieve a certain standard within 1or 2 seasons . so teams could afford to take a chance on a unknown . these days they have to be international standard from day 1 .that means they are assessed at 8 points for premier league ,and 6 for elite . not many teams are going to take them on at those odds

Yeah the assessed cma is a flawed system across the board.

I remember the days when it seemed that a new US rider would seemingly arrive every week with much interest.

Even the ones that didn't make it like Carrillo, Yarrow, Burmeister etc created a bit of excitement.

Hopefully the likes of Kurtis Hamill, Luke Becker and the Ruml brothers will be given a chance over here in the next few seasons.

Rather see a GB speedway revolution with our own riders getting team berths than jonny foreigner.

• Like 4

Posted this in the wrong topic.

On the wider issue of the decline of the USA, I think there are several reasons.

1. America may be a huge country but Speedway only really takes place in California. So, in a country of 300m people, only 40 million of them even have a small chance of coming across speedway. That includes potential riders. To the beat of my knowledge, in 16 years I have never been within 1000 miles of a speedway meeting.

2. Unles there is an obscure channel that I do not receive, there is zero TV coverage. If I want to watch a Grand Prix or World Cup I either have to find a stream or watch it on you tube a couple of days later. I have worked on the East Coast for 16 years and in have never met anybody who knows who Greg Hancock is.

3. The US is in the Northern hemisphere, therefore the season is the same as the UK. Unlike in Australia, the U.K. based riders do not come back and ride the domestic season and give the youngsters somebody to try and emulate.

4. Most US sports have a highly structured development path from a young age through high school, college and into the pros, with coaching from some of the best coaches in the world.

Speedway does not have that. Speedway does not benefit from the incredible amount of funding that goes into youth sports

There are others on this forum who

No doubt are closer to it than I am who may show that I am completely wrong, but that is the way that I see it.

It seems that any US revival will be around an unnaturally talented kid who becomes a star in California, encouraging others to take it up before he goes over to Europe.

• Like 1

I realize that I'm reviving an long-dead thread (jumping in over a year and a half later - LOL); but, I think 'AlanF' hit the nail on the head with his first and second points. The sheer size of the US means that a vast majority of people are never exposed to the sport. And with zero (I mean - literally ZERO) media coverage, they never will be exposed.

Here's a slightly related thought. Up until recently, the sport of 'Flattrack motorcycle racing' was loosing it's footing and it's fan base. Several years ago the professional series started offering free live streaming coverage of their events. Even though the stream suffered MANY technical hiccups and drawbacks - the word quickly began spreading. This year (2017) the professional series booked a weekly program of event coverage with NBCS (the sports cable offering of NBC). Even though the event coverage was a few MONTHS behind the actual event, and severely edited for content - the following has exploded! In my own regional amateur events, turnout is up (both riders and spectators) with many commenting on the NBCS coverage! Attendance at the major professional events is also WAY UP. :)

That's the sort of thing needed for Speedway to make a comeback in America - coverage.

Of course, that's just my opinion. :)

HB

Edited by Haybails