British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Well Done Woffy.

I would just like to say what a tremendous gift Woffy gave that little girl by pulling her out of the crowd to be part of the award ceremony and to give her his silver medal. That memory will stay with her and her family forever, and as Woffy said it would have probably have just been chucked under the stairs.

I have certainly been vocal about him this year, with his snub of his home country's league as well as other issues, but credit where it is due. I am not myself a Tai hater, just angry with some of his decisions, but here he deserves to be applauded for making a little girls day.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/motorsport/1532878/speedway-world-cup-final-tai-woffinden-inspires-great-britain-to-second-place-then-gives-his-medal-to-girl-in-the-crowd/

Yes that was a nice touch and reminded me of when my daughter was given the pairs trophy by Tony R many years ago, ,i do like the guy but i agree about some of his decisions.

Tai seems a really good guy. Think of the money he has raised for Great Ormond Street too. It's a shame some people give him a hard time with all this 'he is an Aussie' rubbish. I doubt he had much say in his parents decision to move to Aussie when he was a baby. You could see how hard he rode on Saturday and what pride it gave him. I hope this is a turning point and people will get behind him.

• Like 6

Tai seems a really good guy. Think of the money he has raised for Great Ormond Street too. It's a shame some people give him a hard time with all this 'he is an Aussie' rubbish. I doubt he had much say in his parents decision to move to Aussie when he was a baby. You could see how hard he rode on Saturday and what pride it gave him. I hope this is a turning point and people will get behind him.

Also the gesture he made on Sat when after winning, patting his Union Jack race jacket.

• Like 2

I would just like to say what a tremendous gift Woffy gave that little girl by pulling her out of the crowd to be part of the award ceremony and to give her his silver medal. That memory will stay with her and her family forever, and as Woffy said it would have probably have just been chucked under the stairs.

I have certainly been vocal about him this year, with his snub of his home country's league as well as other issues, but credit where it is due. I am not myself a Tai hater, just angry with some of his decisions, but here he deserves to be applauded for making a little girls day.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/motorsport/1532878/speedway-world-cup-final-tai-woffinden-inspires-great-britain-to-second-place-then-gives-his-medal-to-girl-in-the-crowd/

There's also a video on the speedway friends facebook page of him picking her out of the crowd Saturday, and a photo of her tucked up in bed with her medal still round her neck and a grin like a cheshire cat on her little face.

A memory she'll treasure for many years I'm sure, and one of the reasons this sport can be so bloody great!

• Like 2

So it's got to the point where silver and bronze medals mean nothing to riders?

I know Tai has his memories and the video coverage but who knows what will happen in this sport .....

Of course it was a special moment for the little girl but the medal is not significant to her, whatever Tai had given her would be special.

Just my thoughts ....

Edited by Trees

I remember SBW giving his world cup medal away to a young fan on the pitch at the end of the last rwc final. I think that kind of thing is a superb gesture, the child will remember that for ever.

For the rider, knowing what they have achieved is surely more important than the medal itself?

Tree's you taking up R72s mantle of trying to twist something good into something bad with this?

You'd be amazed just how few medals and trophies rides keep, or display, I know of an ex world champ who lost his individual gold medal in a house move! Seen tv programmes where riders show that their lofts/their parents lofts/garages etc. are full of medals and trophies stuffed in boxes and draws or just piled in a corner.

A silver medal was a fantastic achievement for Team GB on Saturday, but as Woffinden said himself, it's still first loser and that medal will mean more to that little girl than it would to him.

• Like 3

I know Tai has his memories and the video coverage but who knows what will happen in this sport .....

Of course it was a special moment for the little girl but the medal is not significant to her, whatever Tai had given her would be special.

Just my thoughts ....

Utter nonsense

• Like 2

Mourinho has chucked away winners medals….Rio Ferdinand asked his colleagues during the World Cup coverage if they kept their runners up medals as he hadn’t…

The majority of sports competitors generally live in that moment and once a final or season is done they will typically forget it, more so if they haven’t wont.

Edited by The Mockingjay

See the positive of the gesture not the negative.

• Like 4

different level of course but I won a fair few medals at football Sunday league and 5 a side, running etc, no idea where any of the medals are whereas my mate who got the same medals knows exactly where his are and they mean a lot to him. I was just happy competing and winning a few things. its the memories for me. were all different

Just my thoughts ....

Anything to have a dig. Pathetic