British Speedway Forum

Think everyone should join on Thursday!

Well I will be joining the Massif tomorrow if that is ok. I usually stand somewhere else when I go to Foxhall and then walk around looking to see if Gavan has actually turned up for a Witches meeting - no sight of so far. And Jim T will be moving down a couple of Blocks to join you too.

I am not musical but will be bringing a double bass (if I can get it through the turnstiles) that was left to me by an Uncle and has been in the loft ever since. Jim isn't musical either but is keen to join in the Talent Contest that you are holding, as he was the Eastern Counties hula hoop champion, back in the day and nearly reached international standard and was due to represent Young England in an international competition in Buenos Aires in 1981 but the team had to withdraw when Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands.

• Like 1

Great night again on the terraces with more and more people it seemed.. a few old faces not seen on here anymore too

Onwards are upwards

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut
  • Like 2

Great atmosphere again last night.

Enjoyed seeing a heat from the centre green whilst presenting Kevin with the 'Massif Trophy'

Hope the riders werent put out that we decided to award it to the presenter but we felt that you couldnt under estimate the impact a good mic man (and Kevin is one of if not the best IMO) can have on the event. Kevin has been superb in highlighting our efforts,encouraging others to get involved and generally helping get the atmosphere buzzing.

All of the riders deserve a trophy too of course - go out and make it the PL one fellas!!

• Like 1

There are very few occasions when I am left speechless, but tonight is one of them! You sold me a dummy by saying that Danyon Hume was your winner, only to turn the tables.

Many have spoken about the contribution that The Massif have made to Thursday nights at Foxhall. It truly has been an amazing transformation in the atmosphere at Foxhall and that is totally down to you guys.

It has spread to the Home Straight stand also, who make a significant contribution to the evening also.

Walking round the stadium tonight, there was a great sense of excitement amongst the very healthy crowd and the fans were giving the riders so much encouragement. There's no doubt that a winning, entertaining side contributes to that. But also the infectious enthusiasm that has spread from The Massif.

I've loved coming over and engaging with you guys, and you never know if our stadium landlords Spedeworth invest in a new PA system, you may even get to hear some of what is being said. Wishful thinking I know.

Once again, my sincere thanks for the award; truly grateful.

Cheers xx

• Like 8

There are very few occasions when I am left speechless, but tonight is one of them! You sold me a dummy by saying that Danyon Hume was your winner, only to turn the tables.

Many have spoken about the contribution that The Massif have made to Thursday nights at Foxhall. It truly has been an amazing transformation in the atmosphere at Foxhall and that is totally down to you guys.

It has spread to the Home Straight stand also, who make a significant contribution to the evening also.

Walking round the stadium tonight, there was a great sense of excitement amongst the very healthy crowd and the fans were giving the riders so much encouragement. There's no doubt that a winning, entertaining side contributes to that. But also the infectious enthusiasm that has spread from The Massif.

I've loved coming over and engaging with you guys, and you never know if our stadium landlords Spedeworth invest in a new PA system, you may even get to hear some of what is being said. Wishful thinking I know.

Once again, my sincere thanks for the award; truly grateful.

Cheers xx

Muchos respect Mr. Presenter!!

Well deserved award!!

Glad to see this is getting the crowds going, actually would love to meet Ippo in the final.

You seriously think you'll get past Newcy?!!

• Like 2

Really Enjoyed last night. A night for the real speedway supporter and for the underdog, woof woof.

Thanks to everyone who made it happen: Chris Louis, Kevin Long, Danyon Hume, Anthony Hazell, Guy Howe, the genius that is Andy Halls and of course the Massif. And thank you to Stephen Waller for his patience with a bunch of amateurs on the Centre Green and for capturing the moment perfectly. It is so good to see CL embracing what we do and smiling again. It seems a long time ago now since Heat 13 at Hoddesdon.......

Onwards and Upwards. It sounds as if Connor has been asked to ride in the return leg and a big up to him for volunteering his services to ride the broomstick and for his magnificent efforts on track. There is a brilliant bunch of young English... sorry Lewis, British, talent emerging. The NL is doing it's job along with the brilliant poultec scheme and Olly Allen moving this along in a professional manner and the much maligned, Neil Vatcher.

And a big up to Ben Barker who, if the Trophy had gone to a rider, would have won the vote for being the first to, and always, recognising our efforts and for being a spark that fired the revival and for his commitment to the jacket and his team philosophy. Good Man, Ben. We love you. Come back in 2017 please.

It is great to see the kids out doing laps after meetings at Foxhall Heath again. Hopefully the Administrators and Promoters will see that this is the way forward for British speedway and ensure that these lads are "fast tracked" through to the PL somehow - maybe by having two British Reserves next season, if that is possible under employment law, etc. I have really enjoyed watching the development of riders like Danyon, JPB, Jack Smith, both Connors (and get well soon, Connor Mountain, you have not been forgotten), James Shanes, Dan Halsey and others.

So, we have awarded our inaugural trophy and Andy has gone away with an old tyre to make a table for Danyon. Where do the Massif go from here? On the Facebook page a Massif member has posted that this is just the beginning.... Is he right? There is talk of a Flag and Massif stickers and gear, hats and hoodies. It is up to you guys and gals to carry this on and forward now, if you want to. It takes energy and organisation and ideas and..... well, it has been fun. Thank you guys and girls. You have brought me back to speedway and apart from the one or two (or three or four) detractors, one of whom got me banned from here, it has been a brilliant experience in my 60th year. Never to be forgotten.

Massif Memories.

My brother has only got to do foxhall to finish off all the tracks, not sure we can make it this year so keep the massif going for next year. We can't do this week because I'm away but when do you think there could be other meetings this season? Depends on play offs I suppose. Btw he's 49 and walks around with a tigger the tiger which we have christened "the bear" so he should fit in with you nutters.lol.btw what the heck does massif mean anyway?

As nobody has answered your question in my absence from here bruno, can I please refer you to my Post #96 on the thread for the definition/s of "Massif" and why I first used it to describe the collective of mismatched but like minded fans who has started gathering in the same spot at Foxhall, now known as "Massif End" after baldyman had issued the first invites and was joined by superblue and from there a massif movement occurred and rumbled on and gathered speed an numbers and noise and confidence until it arrived at where it is today, recognition in the Match Day Programme and on BBC Radio interviews and creating from scratch and presenting it's own Trophy.

Hopefully your brother and Tigger The Tiger and you will be able to make the PLPO Semi Final 2nd Leg at Foixhall, if the boys finish off the Quarter Final job at Armadale on the 30th. You, and others, will always be most welcome bruno,

• Like 1

And can I echo macca56's words. I joined the Massif for the first time last night and could not have been made more welcome. They are a great bunch of blokes (and ladies) and to go so far as organising to design and make their own Trophy may be a first in the history of speedway. And what a brilliant idea to present it to a non-rider. Who would have though of that.

As has been said on the Facebook page, Fun has been brought back to speedway supporting at Foxhall Heath and other clubs eat your heart out.

Can I say that Anthony, Guy, Andy, Jim and macca56 are some of the friendliest, nicest, most knowledgeable and unbiased speedway fans you could possibly meet. I had seen some members posts on here knocking macca56 but I found him to be the least arrogant, least trumpet blowing person that I could wish to meet. Yes, he was noisy and at times seemed to be playing three instruments at the same time, but what a good bloke and I would buy him a beer and spend time in his company at any time.

Thank you for those kind words RH55. Each to his own of course and one man's meat is another's poison and all that and there is some poison on this Forum unfortunately, but hey ho, eh?

It was great to meet you and Jim, in the flesh, for the first time and how envious am I of the Tshirt that Robyn Wallace sent to Jim. Lucky man.

Keep Coming Along And Banging A Gong, Or Whistle (and hum) a Tune while Floating a Balloon. Make Some Noiz for the Boiz But most of all... Enjoy and Smile.

And all the other members not mentioned above are really nice people to, and friendly and may even know a bit about speedway themselves.

As it's you macca that comes up with all the ideas, the massif will go in any direction you wish to take it.

• Like 1

And all the other members not mentioned above are really nice people to, and friendly and may even know a bit about speedway themselves.

As it's you macca that comes up with all the ideas, the massif will go in any direction you wish to take it.

Now, now. I didn't say that at all and always gave you credit for starting this whole thing off. I really don't know what you were going on about yesterday, changing your mind all the time about the Centre Green Presentation and about the FB page. Maybe your alliance with another member from another club on here has affected you, lol.

Maybe RH55 and Jim didn't get to meet you as you sit in the corner by the fence and it is not always easy to get to speak to you. I did introduce both the guys to the Massif, maybe you didn't hear or were busy talking with Pob or the Scotsman...? Similarly, I missed speaking with Halifax Tiger and lucifer sam when they visited the Massif End due to where I was sited at the time.

Anyway, as you well know, I am most likely not going to be around next season and as last night may have been the last meeting at Foxhall this season - there will be no open meetings run, including the 16 Lapper or the Star of Anglia, then that is it for me at Foxhall - especially as the potential PLPO Semi Final 2nd Leg has been scheduled for the 13th which I can't make, as I am at a para gliding festival in Turkey that week.

So, buddy, it is up to you and the rest of the Massif to take this on now and, as I say, it takes, energy, ideas, time and some personal £ to keep the thing chugging along, let alone moving it to another level. Yesterday I had seven different people using three different forms of social media to contact me at the same time about the Trophy and the Presentation. This during a time when I had told people that I was driving to Colchester and back for a very important appointment. People, including you, changing their minds about what they wanted to do, when, where, how, etc. Then you started on about wanting to be taken off the FB page. I am not a charity case or a MD. I didn't want to run this and I haven't, but I think I have added to it - a bit. Now,as I say, over to you guys to keep it rolling on.

I think your idea of organising a social event at the end of the season is a great idea and I look forward to hearing when and where it is, if I am invited and still in this country then. Yours in Speedway.

Yes, I can confirm that macca56 introduced both me and Jim to the Massif. Thanks for that macca :lol: