Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Nigel & Kelvin

This might get a healthy debate but my view is that they are good fun and great for the sport. Pure enthusiasm from Nigel Pearson. Both he & KT have genuine enjoyment to see good racing. Now they are established they take the pee out of each other which gives humour to the commentary. When it's a poor meeting, as at the SWC on Friday, both say it as they say it. So both good for the sport. I am now wearing a tin hat because there are sure to be opposite views.

• Like 9

Guest GiveusaB

No complaints from me! I think they compliment eachother perfectly. NP for his enthusiasm and passion and Kelvin for his 2nd to none Knowledge......The only bit I fast forward is the Chris Louis track info !

Scott Nicholls is spot on also!

Yeah I love their enthusiasm but I do hate their overthetopness at times, it's just so OTT!

• Like 2

I agree with much of what has been said above. I think they do bring a bit of enthusiasm and some good banter to their commentary.

The only thing I don't like is the continual "Whoooooooo" at a million decibels when one rider passes another. It devalues the "whooo" when there is a really exciting race.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 2

Love em'.

Apart from Dave Lanning during the Screen Sports days none come close to Nigel & Kelv. NONE.

• Like 1

Love their enthusiasm and can deal with "Whoooo's". Natalie and Scott in the BT studio have been a massive plus this season, big improvement on the old Keith Huewen days.

One thing that irritates me about Kelvin is he often has a great opportunity to give us an anecdote or insight from his own career, but he generally jumps straight back to talking about the current meeting.

Example: Pearson might mention Wimbledon and Kelvin's first seasons, Kelvin says yes - great days, but Coventry really need to get a heat advantage in this one. It's as if there is a director in his ear telling him to just focus on the meeting and not wander off the meeting!

One of the things I love about the Sky Cricket commentary is the way guys like Atherton, Nasser, Bumble can go off topic and chat about whatever takes their fancy - until Nick Knight comes on and gets us back to the minutiae of the tactics.

I think it is completely underplayed how good they are.

They are oft critiqued because they shout WHOOOO as two riders look like they have clipped and are about to be catapulted into the fence, I find it staggering they should WHOOO and not “f*cken hell”.

As a pair they bounce of each other, they rarely bury each other or the product, if there is a pressing matter they will touch on it and generally dissect races and incidents very well. As a pair they present the sport in a very good light.

• Like 3

They are oft critiqued because they shout WHOOOO as two riders look like they have clipped and are about to be catapulted into the fence, I find it staggering they should WHOOO and not “f*cken hell”.

More then likely loose viewers if foul language was flying around.

Even Tai cleaned up his vocabulary when being interviewed after the world cup. See - it can be done.

I think they are good at what they do. I guess some fans don't like their over excited way of commentating however as I said on another thread, that is very much the Sky Sport way across pretty much all the sports they cover.

I guess it's also unique to Speedway in that they are the commentators no matter what channel we watch it on so there isnt the variation that you get with other sports.

Anyway all in all I think they do a good job.

I think they are good at what they do. I guess some fans don't like their over excited way of commentating however as I said on another thread, that is very much the Sky Sport way across pretty much all the sports they cover.

I guess it's also unique to Speedway in that they are the commentators no matter what channel we watch it on so there isnt the variation that you get with other sports.

Anyway all in all I think they do a good job.

I have the advantage(as do a few others on here)of an alternative to Kelvin + Nigel,or did have the last few seasons at least,as on German Eurosports we had Norbert Okenga and Egon Müller.Can't honestly say either choice is to my liking.Egon like to get technical and also do what "salty" would like Kelvin to do more,and reminice.Egon though is a bit of an egoist and it often comes over as "it isn't as good as in my day" or even worse when talking about the german riders "they are not as good as i was,and i don't see anyone who will be in the future".Ok he might we right with that second one,but who wants t hear that stuff?.It is a pity we don't have more alternatives and we don't really have a great commentator like a number of other sports do.

Wonder what some of our other foreign members think of the comparison between the "home" commentators and the UK pairing?

Whatever,i think Ermolenko must be the worst sports commentator ever!!!!!

• Like 1