British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rich

British Masters Grass Track Championship 14/8/16

This Sunday, 14/8 the British Masters takes place at Stanton between Malmesbury and Chippenham, SN14 6HG. It is 56 years since the Nationals as they were called took place in the Malmesbury at a place called Long Newnton between Malmesbury and Tetbury. As well as all the top solos and sidecars in action many famous racers from the past will be at the Masters. They include special guest Peter Collins, plus Hereford legend Ron Taylor, Sidecar star Pete Robson, Steve Hartley, Ken Eyre and Neil Hudson the latter the 1981 250 World Motocross Champion. After practice we will be having a meet the riders session and I will be interviewing the riders in the MCS promotion area. A selection of riders will be available in this area for you to get autographs. Riders include reigning Champion James Shanes, Chris Harris, Scott Nicholls, Andrew Appleton, James Wright, Paul Hurry, Eddie Kennett, Steve Boxall, and all the top Sidecar crews. Start time 1pm. Full riders list will be posted when confirmed.

• Like 1

This Sunday, 14/8 the British Masters takes place at Stanton between Malmesbury and Chippenham, SN14 6HG. It is 56 years since the Nationals as they were called took place in the Malmesbury at a place called Long Newnton between Malmesbury and Tetbury. As well as all the top solos and sidecars in action many famous racers from the past will be at the Masters. They include special guest Peter Collins, plus Hereford legend Ron Taylor, Sidecar star Pete Robson, Steve Hartley, Ken Eyre and Neil Hudson the latter the 1981 250 World Motocross Champion. After practice we will be having a meet the riders session and I will be interviewing the riders in the MCS promotion area. A selection of riders will be available in this area for you to get autographs. Riders include reigning Champion James Shanes, Chris Harris, Scott Nicholls, Andrew Appleton, James Wright, Paul Hurry, Eddie Kennett, Steve Boxall, and all the top Sidecar crews. Start time 1pm. Full riders list will be posted when confirmed.

This was mentioned at Blunsdon last week, may pop down the m4 for this.

• Like 1

I shall be making my way up from Somerset for this. I know practice is at 11am and racing starts at 1pm,does anyone know when the site will be open for spectators please, only I like to get on the road early and miss the traffic and arrive early to soak up the atmosphere, albeit Castrol R and Methanol !!! :)

• Like 1

Gates open 3.00pm Friday. Make a weekend of it, Swedish SGP on large screen TV in the beer tent Saturday

British Masters Lineup
SOLO
Mark Baseby
Scott Nicholls
Steve Boxall
Paul Cooper
Daniel Winterton
Andrew Whitaker
Andrew Appleton
Richard Hall
Jamie Fenn Smith
Chris Harris
Calum Walker
James Wright
Paul Hurry
Charlie Powell
James Shanes
Jason Newitt
Gareth Hickmott
Ben Millichap
Rob Mear
Hartland Cook
Mark Taylor
Edward Kennett
Scott Creswell
Reserves
Matt Saul
Paul Whitelam Jr
Max Brown

Sidecars
Peter Lloyd
Matt Fumerola
Paul Johnson
Miles Simmons
Neil Owen
Rob Wilson
Colin Blackbourne
Tom Cossar
Mark Cossar
Rod Winterburn
Gareth Winterburn
Gareth Tregilgas
Will Offen
Rob Bradley
Paul Whitelam
Joe Mogg
Peter Colvin
Trevor Heath
Reserves
Simon Heal
Tom Marvell

Sorry I do not have a list of passengers

£18 Adults £15 OAP Under 16s Free !!!

Gates open 3.00pm Friday. Make a weekend of it, Swedish SGP on large screen TV in the beer tent Saturday

British Masters Lineup
SOLO
Mark Baseby
Scott Nicholls
Steve Boxall
Paul Cooper
Daniel Winterton
Andrew Whitaker
Andrew Appleton
Richard Hall
Jamie Fenn Smith
Chris Harris
Calum Walker
James Wright
Paul Hurry
Charlie Powell
James Shanes
Jason Newitt
Gareth Hickmott
Ben Millichap
Rob Mear
Hartland Cook
Mark Taylor
Edward Kennett
Scott Creswell
Reserves
Matt Saul
Paul Whitelam Jr
Max Brown

Sidecars
Peter Lloyd
Matt Fumerola
Paul Johnson
Miles Simmons
Neil Owen
Rob Wilson
Colin Blackbourne
Tom Cossar
Mark Cossar
Rod Winterburn
Gareth Winterburn
Gareth Tregilgas
Will Offen
Rob Bradley
Paul Whitelam
Joe Mogg
Peter Colvin
Trevor Heath
Reserves
Simon Heal
Tom Marvell

Sorry I do not have a list of passengers

Thank you Rich ! I don't have the energy for an "All Weekender" and I want to watch the racing with a clear head on Sunday !!! :drink::nono:

• Like 1

Have never watched grasstrack, is it similar to speed way...main differences?

Usually larger tracks

Bikes have gears (probably 2), brakes, and suspension (front probably same as speedway but rear has single or double hydraulic springing).

Usually a few riders per race, I have been in 10-12 rider race at club level, but this quality meeting (British Masters) may have 6, especially the final.

No fence usually (temporary tracks), inside and outside of track will have flag markers, some way back from these on the outside there will be a rope system, and another rope system further back then that.

Dont know what the exact format of the British asters will be but can be 250 class, 350, 500's and sidecars (spectacular). Some meetings will have a class for veterans, for bikes older then a certain age, upright engines only etc.

A class meeting like British Masters will be very exciting.

• Like 1

The Masters is the top British Championship for 500cc solos 1000cc Right Hand sidecars.8 in a solo race,6 in a sidecar. Top 8 solo point scorers after semifinals go to the final (6 for sidecars).The winners of the finals are Masters Champions. Places in next year's World Longtrack and European Championship qualifiers are based on Masters results, so there's plenty to race for.It's not been officially measured yet, but I estimate the track length to be 550-600 metres.

Decent crowd strange sloping track layout meant in many parts unable to see whole track. Really needed back straight open for best viewing especially due to direction of dust and the lack of distance between parked vehicles and the track on bend 1&2.

Lots of good food and drink stalls available and easy exit from car parks. Credit to Swindon Speedway and Max Perry with their stands great talking with them and all the other stands.

Presentation was up there with the worst. The amount of people frustrated with the poor and incorrect result announcements was a big let down and joke amongst the crowd, as was the unnecessary delay before the semi finals. 1h20mins to do four heats before another delay before the finals was amateurish as was the inability of the commentator to give out the line ups of the semi and finals in a slow and consistent manner. He was slow giving race results and fast when he should have been slow! Why give out line ups in non programme number order so you have to flit all over the place while he announces at double quick speed? Needed a Phil Morris type Race Director to keep things moving long nicely.

Racing was decent enough the Bristol Club should be commended for their efforts.

Edited by J_D
  • Like 2

Any news on the result?

Shanes, Kennett and Hurry in that order for the solos.