British Speedway Forum
CookieIpswich

British Speedway As A Brand....

Take away the product of League, Heat format and tactical substitution rules etc.

How can British Speedway sell itself as a brand and bring the ££££ in for the Sport as a whole?

Any suggestions :)

Take away the product of League, Heat format and tactical substitution rules etc.

How can British Speedway sell itself as a brand and bring the ££££ in for the Sport as a whole?

Any suggestions :)

I don't see an instant fix, the chairman talks things up but his own track is the worst it's ever been. Lots of things are being done right but to empty stadiums. It would probably be better to withdraw from TV for a year and get a professional company in to launch a rebrand. That is of course if there really is a way back, maybe it's just run it's course.

• Like 1

The problem is that they all have their own interest in their club, there is not one man there for the sport first and foremost, EL level they just rely on SKY money and thats it - there is so much more to be gained

• Like 1

I think Sky (hardly a shock given the money they invest into this) and SGP/SWC have it pretty much spot on re how the sport should be branded and positioned, it should in theory be cheap marketing for the sport, just follow the general template/USP used by both groups.

I compare it to British Superbikes....

BSB has title sponsors, national companies, associate sponsors, media partners plus product suppliers to the championship....

British Speedway has just the sky money..... its because nobody is taking responsibility for the sport, just their own club. Its such a mess

• Like 3

I compare it to British Superbikes....

BSB has title sponsors, national companies, associate sponsors, media partners plus product suppliers to the championship....

British Speedway has just the sky money..... its because nobody is taking responsibility for the sport, just their own club. Its such a mess

Agree,as I have said in another post one thing British Superbikes and Supersport have done over the years is standardise bikes to keep a level playing field ,and that its self seems to attracts more sponsored and companies to get involved in the sport IMO .It is value for money and a good day out for the fans .

It should be branded as loud, dirty, smelly, high risk and dangerous. Not lovely, nice, "family sport" that granny goes to watch.

It should be branded as loud, dirty, smelly, high risk and dangerous. Not lovely, nice, "family sport" that granny goes to watch.

But it isn't loud, dirty or smelly any more is it? That's part of the problem in my opinion!

• Like 3

It should be promoted as an Extreme Sport I agree.

But how about commercially... its well behind British Superbikes in terms of getting basically anything commercially....

The young today aren't interested in cuddly animals, soda streams, brevilles and family friendly, safe stuff....

They like danger, risk, loud, close to the edge... Borderline illegal stuff..

• Like 1

British Speedway needs someone to think outside the box and make decisions based on sport rather than self promotion...

They have the SKY Sports deal for X amount of meetings per season

They need to introduce 2 x 10 team leagues North & South 6 rider teams

Alongside this they should have a title sponsor for the league for example someone like Vanarama would fit the profile extremely well "Vanarama British Speedway Northern Division/Vanarama British Speedway Southern Division" - They should also attract at least two additional sponsors - give all 3 companies branding at every race track in the country as principal sponsors.

You could probably get a good six-figure sum from those sponsors.

In addition to this - they should have exclusive supplier partnerships with a race fuel, lubricant and tyre manufacturer as the ONLY supplier to British Speedway - negotiate a deal for ALL riders racing in the league to pay a fixed price i.e. bring the costs down - give these companies branding at all tracks in the UK.

Look to limit the tuning or standardise the engines like in British Superbikes/Supersport.

Have a league Cup..... get that sponsored maybe by a Tool company like King Dick Tools - "The King Dick League Cup"

Would be worth at least a 5 figure sum per season

Have a British CUP competition that see's all teams enter the draw - again get that sponsored maybe by a company like BET365 - "The BET365 British Speedway Association Cup"

That could be worth an additional 6 figure sum per season as the pinnacle cup competition in UK Speedway and as its BET365 give them exclusive rights to stream X amount of cup matches on their web-site!

Get Monster Engergy/Adrian Flux plus maybe 3 associate sponsors to expand the British Final into a mini GP series covering 3 rounds - again worth a 6 figure sum which can go into a fairly decent prize fund for those riders competing.

Scrap the pairs, scrap the 4's might not be popular but this is a 6/7 rider team sport

Loads of ways to push the Speedway brand there whilst boosting the income instead of being reliant on SKY money

why not offer TV rights to the League Cup to BT Sports?

If the British Final is a mini GP series - if this is not exclusive to Sky Sports already - put it up for negotiation.

Yet more opportunities to bring money into Speedway....

I hit on this ages ago but why doesn't British Speedway have its own online streaming channel where fans pay £4.99 per month to subscribe and it offers fans an additional 4-6 meetings per month to watch online which are not televised?

If fans dont want to pay monthly, say £9.99 to subscribe to watch one-off matches?

Can do free-to-air stream of any cup draws - make the sport look more professional - engage with the fans!

20 clubs x 200 fans paying £4.99 per month = £19,960 or £240,000 per year!

Fill it with interview with riders, build some star names, previews etc.

Even if subscribers are lower in numbers, it would break even at least but at least on the flip side of the coin, you are offer potential sponsors more exposure to people to buy their products or use their services.

and when I say additional revenue - its just not to go into promoters pockets - It can go towards grass roots speedway etc.

• Like 1

British Speedway needs someone to think outside the box and make decisions based on sport rather than self promotion...

They have the SKY Sports deal for X amount of meetings per season

They need to introduce 2 x 10 team leagues North & South 6 rider teams

Alongside this they should have a title sponsor for the league for example someone like Vanarama would fit the profile extremely well "Vanarama British Speedway Northern Division/Vanarama British Speedway Southern Division" - They should also attract at least two additional sponsors - give all 3 companies branding at every race track in the country as principal sponsors.

You could probably get a good six-figure sum from those sponsors.

In addition to this - they should have exclusive supplier partnerships with a race fuel, lubricant and tyre manufacturer as the ONLY supplier to British Speedway - negotiate a deal for ALL riders racing in the league to pay a fixed price i.e. bring the costs down - give these companies branding at all tracks in the UK.

Look to limit the tuning or standardise the engines like in British Superbikes/Supersport.

Have a league Cup..... get that sponsored maybe by a Tool company like King Dick Tools - "The King Dick League Cup"

Would be worth at least a 5 figure sum per season

Have a British CUP competition that see's all teams enter the draw - again get that sponsored maybe by a company like BET365 - "The BET365 British Speedway Association Cup"

That could be worth an additional 6 figure sum per season as the pinnacle cup competition in UK Speedway and as its BET365 give them exclusive rights to stream X amount of cup matches on their web-site!

Get Monster Engergy/Adrian Flux plus maybe 3 associate sponsors to expand the British Final into a mini GP series covering 3 rounds - again worth a 6 figure sum which can go into a fairly decent prize fund for those riders competing.

Scrap the pairs, scrap the 4's might not be popular but this is a 6/7 rider team sport

Loads of ways to push the Speedway brand there whilst boosting the income instead of being reliant on SKY money

why not offer TV rights to the League Cup to BT Sports?

If the British Final is a mini GP series - if this is not exclusive to Sky Sports already - put it up for negotiation.

Yet more opportunities to bring money into Speedway....

I hit on this ages ago but why doesn't British Speedway have its own online streaming channel where fans pay £4.99 per month to subscribe and it offers fans an additional 4-6 meetings per month to watch online which are not televised?

If fans dont want to pay monthly, say £9.99 to subscribe to watch one-off matches?

Can do free-to-air stream of any cup draws - make the sport look more professional - engage with the fans!

20 clubs x 200 fans paying £4.99 per month = £19,960 or £240,000 per year!

Fill it with interview with riders, build some star names, previews etc.

Even if subscribers are lower in numbers, it would break even at least but at least on the flip side of the coin, you are offer potential sponsors more exposure to people to buy their products or use their services.

and when I say additional revenue - its just not to go into promoters pockets - It can go towards grass roots speedway etc.

Question, who deals with all this?

Well.........

I agree, surely that's the job that "Go Speed" SHOULD be doing anyway???

But he's happy with his 100 grand fee from BSPA for talking to Sky?

A case of "I'm all right Jack" springs to mind... Huge clearout required at the top...

I would love to get kelvin Tatum ,Scott Nicholls Rosco and Havvy in room and get them to give their own take on s/way today and where it should go in the future ,would ruffle more than a few feathers I am sure :D

• Like 1

Remember when, pre-1999 and the live TV deal with SKY, how we expected a rush of new fans through the turnstiles at each track. It was the stage the sport had deserved and had yearned for. At first it really did seem as if the sport could boom again. Even the best selling daily newspaper carried that Martin Dugard-Stefan Andersson incident.

But it never quite came off. I believe over the ensuing years fans lost the novelty value of attending a match when SKY roared into town to film their team. Whereas it was a chance to see yourself on tv, that ship had sailed. Now, the match live on tv, it was opportunity to save money and stay away. Some, once they had missed even one match, didn't feel as guilty the next time, some even got out of the habit of attending every week. Once you miss something once, it is easier the next time. Then there was the arrival of the internet and the ability to watch matches from outside the UK from the comfort of your home.

To actually be prepared to pay your money and stand on the terraces for two hours, just for a quarter of an hour's of league racing, you have to be keen. The razzle-dazzle of Cardiff it certainly ain't. So how do you market a product that in reality may not maintain every newcomer's interest once they are in the venue.

I recently read how someone had watched speedway for the first time at Cardiff for the GP, went along to a league match soon after, and was disappointed that it wasn't the same.

Whereas we once thought live speedway was a lottery win for the sport and fans alike, now I am not so sure. The freely available live streaming also reduces the need to actually go to a match. Too much of anything lessens the craving for as much.

With hindsight, from being overjoyed at live speedway on TV, I now prefer highlighted packages. I used to watch everything from start to end, Keith Huewin and his studio guests, the padding that often helped fill up four hours of the 20-odd heat GP. But I watched it all...

But life has changed now. Technology has allowed us all to do other things, the mobiles phones, the tablets. There is always something else to do.

That is why, and it's only my opinion, I think live speedway is doing the sport no good. Even keep it off the screens for a couple of years, domestic speedway even, at least on a weekly basis, and try to regain the days when it was an event just to say that speedway's on tonight. Less is more.

With so many sports channels now though, I can't see it. But watching from home isn't the same, we all know that, and perhaps those, like me, who get out of the habit may be persuaded back, if it goes off screen. There is nothing like live speedway at the track. But recent years have shown me that I don't think I could stand there, for upto two hours, countless restarts, needless gaps, I don't think I could do it anymore. Therefore, perhaps have a link to the pits from a camera or two that allows fans to watch between heats from their mobile phones.

For me, the days when I'd sit there and wait for the next race are over. All I want, if I may add, is the racing,not the studio telling us what we've just seen. My argument is all over the place, I know, but I believe the 20-minute slot on World of Sport did more good than the regularly drawn-out and overrunning show SKY gives us.

Get an edited package ready... but it'll be no good what-so-ever, if newcomers experience something totally different on their first, perhaps last, visits.

Would football retain fans' interest, for example, if there was a 90-minute interval between each half?

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

I agree at present the sport is best off without tv but if my ideas were to be implemented then you.need tv in order to sell it commercially.

Speedway won't improve without seeking new revenue streams

• Like 1