British Speedway Forum
CookieIpswich

British Speedway As A Brand....

I've been "sniffing" R40 fumes for years at Speedway and much closer up at Grasstrack, if it doesn't seem as strong as when I first got the habit I put that down to becoming immune or developing a tolerance. Or maybe the sense of smell deteriorates with age, like many other things :lol:

I've been "sniffing" R40 fumes for years at Speedway and much closer up at Grasstrack, if it doesn't seem as strong as when I first got the habit I put that down to becoming immune or developing a tolerance. Or maybe the sense of smell deteriorates with age, like many other things :lol:

Tell me about it! Mind you, the smell used to be accompanied by a smoke haze and you rarely see that today. Perhaps the engines are just "cleaner" now.

'Elf and Safety will have something to do with the lack of smell no doubt.

Tell me about it! Mind you, the smell used to be accompanied by a smoke haze and you rarely see that today. Perhaps the engines are just "cleaner" now.

The engines are not total loss any more, so the hot oil doesn't drop out the bottom of the crankcase on to the ground or track. They have to be drained at the end of the meeting and disposed of environmentally.

Edited by Mad Potter 2

The engines are not total loss any more, so the hot oil doesn't drop out the bottom of the crankcase any more. They have to be drained at the end of the meeting and disposed of environmentally.

I knew it.

'Elf and bloody Safety. :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Like 2

I knew it.

'Elf and bloody Safety. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Somebody need's to produce a large air freshener that smells of Castro R for use in the pits during the meeting.

• Like 1

Somebody need's to produce a large air freshener that smells of Castro R for use in the pits during the meeting.

Great idea MP2. Could I have one for my bathroom while you are on? :t::approve: :approve: :approve:

• Like 1

Every now and again you get the smell, not sure if it's really there or just nostalgia taking over!

• Like 1

Perhaps b4 every mtg the pits should have an old bike being revved up with castor r n methanol, just for the fans mmmmmmm

I've been to amateur meetings where there has been an old JAP running unsilenced (and noticed the same at men in black demos) and the difference in noise is nowhere near what you expect. A lot to do with modern bikes revving a lot harder I imagine and they are still pretty loud in comparison to most things.

All that oil dripping out the bottom of the bikes used to do wonders for binding the shale together on the track as well.

I've been to amateur meetings where there has been an old JAP running unsilenced (and noticed the same at men in black demos) and the difference in noise is nowhere near what you expect. A lot to do with modern bikes revving a lot harder I imagine and they are still pretty loud in comparison to most things.

All that oil dripping out the bottom of the bikes used to do wonders for binding the shale together on the track as well.

Yes, it did help, tremendously.. It's odd because it's a vegetable based oil, not produced from that nasty black stuff, that goes into car/lorry engines.... Don't see why it would harm the environment, get some down, use a crop sprayer, wonder wheel it in, all speedway in the UKs problems will be solved!!

Edited by Shale Searcher

I knew a track man who mixed some old oil in with the shale and when he did it a little at a time got good results and it wasn't obvious what was going on. However when he got a bit carried away every time he watered it looked like the Amoco Cadiz had sunk on the track and became clear to everybody what was going on :lol:

Yes, it did help, tremendously.. It's odd because it's a vegetable based oil, not produced from that nasty black stuff, that goes into car/lorry engines....

dick

Thank you for your highly intelligent and incisive reply. :t::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 2