British Speedway Forum
CookieIpswich

British Speedway As A Brand....

As mentioned the people running it have their own interests and do not seem to be able to see that if they are not careful the sport will die.

They have given the rights for sponsorship away to Go speed, who has bought in sky but not much more.

They along with the other federations have let other organisations run World Championships etc who put virtually nothing back into the development of the sport.

Maybe these were the sort of reasons that people like Sandu walked away.

The problem now is, has the sport got the money to pay someone to grab it by the throat and sort it out and the gonads to get away from the people making the money from tv rights and running the world championships etc.

Fans' views differ. What some like others don't. I mean, how many speedway fans actually discovered the sport by accident, not on tv but by a friend etc taking them along? My way to entice new fans would be a video akin to The Thrill & Spills that JSD Video used to compile. But we all know that speedway isn't like that in real life. Going to a real match is like living on a normal street, not one where everything happens in half an hour, like one of the soaps. Only now and again does the ultimate speedway experience come along. Much of the time is just waiting for that time.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

What got me hooked, was actually being shown how to fill in a programme. Even 18 years on, still don't understand why SKY don't show riders' scores. It is just as important as the racing itself.

• Like 2

I think they should make more of the team element, it's what makes league football successful. It's why we go to watch league racing, to support our team and when you lose your team you are invariably lost to the sport.

Everything about a club should be totally bias towards it, the music, the staff, everything

Buster says he can get a title sponsor for 2017, hope he can and I look forward to seeing what other changes he has in mind. Hope we hear sooner rather than later too ....

As long as its not his mate for £50,000

??????? :unsure: :unsure: :blink:

Speedway as a brand in the UK, to me, sits in the same league as:

A night at the local social club.

Stamp collecting.

Model train collecting.

Tea and biscuits after church.

It'll take a lot to get it out of where it is.

• Like 4

It is doable tho with the right people taking it forward unfortunately tho most are too set in their ways needs younger blood pushing it forward

• Like 1

It is doable tho with the right people taking it forward unfortunately tho most are too set in their ways needs younger blood pushing it forward

But there is no "younger blood" in the sport, riders apart so we can't rely on that. Let's hear the plans for next year, it seems change is in the pipeline ...

The brand speedway needs keeping silent until the time when rules etc are seriously looked at. Perhaps leave ideas of making it appeal to a wider audience on the back burner, and let's try to make rules and reg, race formats and riders' whereabouts the main priority to solve. Speedway as a racing spectacle is fine, much of the time, but you always feels the rules, regs and much of the sport's make-up are still flaky after all these years of trying. When,as a fan for what was then 30 plus years couldn't answer a question about a specific rules at one match,I knew it was either me being lazy or that the sport was making rules to sell rulebooks.

Standardise the bikes so that you need skill rather than being a throttle merchant who gates and goes and hangs on for dear life because the current bikes are by and large uncontrollable and only suited for racing in certain conditions (albeit only the riders seem to know what those are as they seem to change frequently) and make it more affordable for new riders to get a start in the sport and hopefully this will generate some locally grown talent. Get back to the point where you could name your 1 to 7 that will be riding each week for your local team and create characters who can stir it up with a few more bad guys who have the skill to make it look dangerous but in reality are generally controlling the bike and not the other way round. Get back to having proper international team meetings (How many would go to watch the current Russian contingent of riders take on your local team or even England not team GB). In simple terms, generate interest with a few tweaks and get promoters to contribute to a central fund to advertise the sport more widely. With so many options to advertise on line, radio, local cinema, shopping malls etc. it would not be too difficult to get the sport noticed and once that happens then it might just start to attract the right type of sponsors/underwriters. As an example of where it is poor the sponsorship trailer for the GP is dire and makes it look about as interesting as watching paint dry. Time perhaps to get younger people on board to help with promoting the sport, after all they can do no worse than the current crop of old timers.

• Like 2

The perfect plan will never come off.Imagine if we took a poll of what everybody wants from speedway, there'd be things included that a lot of others dislike. I don't like double points, but other do, and they are still attending. Getting rid of double points may stop them attending and probably won't get me returning.

The perfect plan will never come off.Imagine if we took a poll of what everybody wants from speedway, there'd be things included that a lot of others dislike. I don't like double points, but other do, and they are still attending. Getting rid of double points may stop them attending and probably won't get me returning.

Well it definitely would me. :t: