British Speedway Forum
CookieIpswich

British Speedway As A Brand....

Well it definitely would me. :t:

Don't worry White Knight dust off your programme board ,tactical subs to return next year, ( current proposal to be used when any team is in any deficit )

Ah, fairness will return at long last along with your good self

Don't worry White Knight dust off your programme board ,tactical subs to return next year, ( current proposal to be used when any team is in any deficit )

Ah, fairness will return at long last along with your good self

I sincerely hope you are right my friend.... :t::approve: :approve: :approve:

I hate Tac Subs too - but I will have to live with them I suppose. :sad:

It would be great to get back again. :t::)

Take away the product of League, Heat format and tactical substitution rules etc.

How can British Speedway sell itself as a brand and bring the ££££ in for the Sport as a whole?

Any suggestions :)

I think league speedway in old stadiums is all but finished, speedway GP is the only thing that interests me.

...They have the SKY Sports deal for X amount of meetings per season...

...Alongside this they should have a title sponsor for the league...You could probably get a good six-figure sum from those sponsors....In addition to this - they should have exclusive supplier partnerships with a race fuel, lubricant and tyre manufacturer as the ONLY supplier to British Speedway...Have a league Cup..... get that sponsored maybe by a Tool company like King Dick Tools - "The King Dick League Cup" ...Would be worth at least a 5 figure sum per season...Have a British CUP competition that see's all teams enter the draw - again get that sponsored maybe by a company like BET365 - "The BET365 British Speedway Association Cup"...That could be worth an additional 6 figure sum per season as the pinnacle cup competition in UK Speedway and as its BET365 give them exclusive rights to stream X amount of cup matches on their web-site!...Get Monster Engergy/Adrian Flux plus maybe 3 associate sponsors to expand the British Final into a mini GP series covering 3 rounds - again worth a 6 figure sum which can go into a fairly decent prize fund for those riders competing....why not offer TV rights to the League Cup to BT Sports?...

I suggest you contact Terry Russell at Slow Speed International Ltd - All collective sponsorship and TV / Media / Multimedia matters are his responsibility. He has a monopoly on all these things and has been promising all these things for years. In case he's not answering his e-mails, you can collar him at Swindon Speedway most race nights.

One would assume one of two possibilities:

1) All the above things are possible, and Terry Russell has been simply sitting with this thumb up his bum doing nothing about it.

2) Terry Russell has been busting a gut to achieve all these things but keeps running into brick walls, rejections, declinatures and other negative outcomes.

You decide.

Edited by uk martin

I compare it to British Superbikes....

BSB has title sponsors, national companies, associate sponsors, media partners plus product suppliers to the championship....

British Speedway has just the sky money..... its because nobody is taking responsibility for the sport, just their own club. Its such a mess

British Superbikes have big sponsors because the equipment they use are big well knows moto companies ( Suzuki,Yamaha,Honda,Kawasaki,Aprilia etc) and in speedway you have virtually unkown GM or Jawa(Jawa at least is well known in places like Poland and former eastern bloc counties as they make street legal motorcycles).

I used to believe that speedway deserved wider coverage and deeper acclaim. But was that because i was already a fan of the sport?

For those of us who are already followers, isn't it easy to expect everyone else to like it? I like it, why don't they?

I believe speedway is best served getting its house in some sort of order before fans start getting all chatty about offering this or that competition to different TV networks. The sport is all over the show at present, and I don't mean on TV and the internet. Long established fans aren't always clear on what, even to their vast experience of watching, what should be the simplest of rules are mysteries to even them.

The last 15 years, speedway has never had as much push by various TV networks. I think anyone that it could persuade to become a fan probably already had that chance.

I find it annoying, speedway fans practically demanding the sport be shown on telly or the next person they meet should like it. It is a blinkered view - "I like it, so everyone else must as well."

Me, personally, I like to discover things on my own, from music, films etc. Find it off-putting when someone says: "You should hear this song.. or watch this film."

I mean, imagine it if a football fan told speedway followers that they are watching the wrong sport, why not try football. It's much better... or, say, questioning why you married your wife and not her prettier sister?

Speedway isn't to everyone's taste, so stop thinking it is a hidden gem. It is a good sport, but it has had its chance to shine. Let's just consider it a cult sport, try and keep it going and rebuild a rule book etc so that the loyal fans don't continue getting frustrated by it.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 3

Speedway is too much a risk and I am surprised sky have stuck with them this long even though they don't show as many meetings now.

I cannot see a way back for the sport

• Like 1

speedway doesn't deserve the fans it's got...promoters, riders, tv and even refs sometimes often have paying spectators at the bottom of their list of priorities...quite how it attracts any new fans at all surprises me

• Like 3

Come on... be honest... speedway is a quirky sport, it's like stamp collecting, looking for rare birds... it is looked on strangely by those who don't find attraction in it. It isn't helped by men in anoraks, looking studiously down at programmes after every heat as though keeping track of what's going on with your biro hand is more important than anything the previous four laps delivered. For many, perhaps, it is a conveyor belt mentality from March to October, go to track, stand in same place, watch every one else take up usual spots, give your head a four lap twirl watching the racing like a loop-de-loop motion, then it's home until the next time. Not only do we resist missing the next meeting, but how do we ever sleep if our programme is missing even one race time from that last match. We get set in our ways.

Come on... be honest... speedway is a quirky sport, it's like stamp collecting, looking for rare birds... it is looked on strangely by those who don't find attraction in it. It isn't helped by men in anoraks, looking studiously down at programmes after every heat as though keeping track of what's going on with your biro hand is more important than anything the previous four laps delivered. For many, perhaps, it is a conveyor belt mentality from March to October, go to track, stand in same place, watch every one else take up usual spots, give your head a four lap twirl watching the racing like a loop-de-loop motion, then it's home until the next time. Not only do we resist missing the next meeting, but how do we ever sleep if our programme is missing even one race time from that last match. We get set in our ways.

And herein, is one of its problems...

Years ago, your teams racenight came along, week in, week out throughout the season, late March until end of October, usually finished with a goodbye from the riders, a few fun and games and a firework display!!

Now, it starts in early March, the stops, then starts, then a team can go 3 maybe 4 weeks without a home fixture!!!! People forget, find something else to do, no longer on autopilot, fans have to get the entertainment sat nav out, pictures, football, satellite tv, internet, bowling, allsorts of other stuff to do.... They get out of the habit, lose that addiction, the speedway autopilot is no longer there...

RIP League Speedway in the UK.....

• Like 4

Correct, Shale Searcher.

The Play-Offs are the current vogue, they have helped save British speedway.... NOT.

What they have done, is they have watered down the rest of the domestic season. Fans and SKY commentators jump with glee that speedway fans come out in force for the Play-Offs, they queue round the block for those dates. However, what precedes these money-spinners, is a run of fixtures that ain't as important as the old league system, pre-Play-Offs.

For example, last week we had a top of the table confrontation, Belle Vue v Poole. Meant not a thing in real life, as both were in the last stages of the season. Now, imagine had it been in the days before the P/Os. Certainly would have been more resting on it.

The Play-Offs leave me empty. We aim for the dates, late September, and then, when finished, fans are left in the wild. Is the season over or can their respective teams be bothered to put on a few more dates? In days of old, the last day of October was it. Now, haven't some teams already packed up on pulled down shutters before October arrives?

SKY pretend they are in it big style.. but after a season of what seems lukewarm interest, they rush the two semis together on one night, making old-timers like me suffer double vision and minor brain wobble.

And, let's not forget... Play-Offs killed the Speedway Star Knock-Out Cup, in my opinion.

RIP SSKOC

It's easy to look at BSB and think they have it well sorted because it looks so professional with big name sponsors, good TV coverage and bumper crowds.

Depends what you are actually wanting though, very few BSB riders are paid and the crowds only have to turn up about 12 times a year on a weekend.

Run the same meetings several times a week and it wouldn't be near as attractive.

I can't see how any changes to the format, bikes or tracks is going to bring significant changes in numbers attending Speedway. The entire image of the sport needs a makeover in the mad, bad and dangerous way that SCB mentioned. Then there are still way too many meetings for it to be viable as a professional sport for so many clubs. Perhaps there needs to be a slightly bigger Elite league that charges spectators and pays at something like the current PL rates. Then everybody else running at a sort of NL level charging a low entry fee and paying expenses. I can't see any way for tracks to all run at weekends which would help the cause.

In all honesty I think a big dose of realism about what can be expected of the sport is needed by fans, rose tinted nostalgic glasses are it's biggest downfall by far!

• Like 2

I think league speedway in old stadiums is all but finished, speedway GP is the only thing that interests me.

I can't disagree with that.

But crucially it's demise has been caused directy by the Grand Prix Series.

Those who can't see that must be blind.

The Grand Prix has been the ruination of British Speedway - and no-one will convince me that I am wrong.

• Like 1