British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dovetoe

Nl Rules

How does the No.8 work out for teams, I see riders named and never used. When and how can they be used?

Nominated number 8's can only be used to take the rider replacement rides.

I have no idea why teams using the R/R facility don't always name a number 8 as I've only been following speedway for 40 plus years so don't fully understand speedways complicated rules!

The problem is that most of the time number 8s don't get used so it's not easy to get riders to turn up and stand there all night. Personally I'd like to see number 8s take 3 of the 4 rr rides compulsory like the other riders or be able to take rides in place of the reserves.

Seems hard to me for fringe riders to come straight in and take 1-5 position rides

So far I've read the rules as being a rider not being already named as a 1-7 in another team line up, and with a 3.00 average, so it means only unattached and/or new riders. With all the talk of having a squad, having an eligible no.8 would be the simple extension of this new suggestion, plus make the rules a little bit more flexible upon whom can be a no.8. E.g.(a rider with a higher average, maybe a 4.00.)

It would make it more competitive to have a decent no.8 in case of team injuries throughout a meeting, which unfortunately does happen. In addition, they'd more than likely get used in a meeting to take eligible r/r rides....just a thought.