British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Plrc Sheffield Sunday September 11th

A thoroughly disappointing meeting. The PLRC in 2015 was a reasonably entertaining meeting, whereas this was simply dreadful.

The track was far too deep on the outside meaning that the only racing line was on the inside. Meaning pretty much all the races were a case of follow the leader with riders strung out like washing.

This got much worse when after about heat 8 the racing line was about where gate three was. In the last 14 heats, Gate three won eight and came second four times.

The only saving grace was that when I got there the main car park was full, so I parked around the back meaning I didn't have to fight my way out the car park with the non-existant stewards not helping one little bit...

I don't know what the chaps doing the track were thinking of, but when they drove the tractors around for ages before the last two heats the track was noticeably better as the dirt on the outside was less loose and packed down a bit, resulting in easily the best two races of the night. It's a pity they weren't prepared to this earlier.

Ive not been to Sheffield for a few seasons as every time ive been its been follow my leader, looking at the field I thought it would produce good racing but sadly yet another borefest, a waste of money, should have stayed in the New Barrack Tavern myself. Given the tracks reputation its a job for mythbusters methinks :)

This seasons British Final at Belle Vue was also a borefest apart from One lap in the final...Just saying.

That was defo an exception to the rule not helped by bad weather on a brand new track, since every meeting has provided great racing with numerous racing lines and passing. In response I will quote the world team cup final which is more representative of what the track produces.

• Like 2

Don't think you would get many complaints if the PLRC was moved to Belle Vue.

What a great idea.....lets give Belle Vue everything!...Sod everyone else!

• Like 1

like I said not many complaints

We only get complaints at Sheffield when a Sheffield rider wins it..No complaints when Cook,Ostergaard, Masters, Zorro won it etc...Work it out!

• Like 1

Nobody can deny Stead his win.

He deserved it.

The issue with the overall poor quality of the racing is the real issue.

• Like 2

Nobody can deny Stead his win.

He deserved it.

The issue with the overall poor quality of the racing is the real issue.

You can get poor racing in any meeting..just watch Sky or BT..Elite or GP..You get poor meetings.

Congratulations to Simon on winning the PLRC, he's a rider I have a lot of time for, nice lad

Thanks to our Sam for keeping us happy and collecting runner up .....

but the star of the show for me was David Bellego (and the Berwick fans)

• Like 2

It's several years since there was a decent PLRC at Sheffield.....time to try somewhere else.

Peter Collins made some good comments about racing and the difference in machinery and track surfaces. In his day Sheffield never failed to provide anything but top class racing on a consistant basis, the past few seasons when ive visited its not been good, hence the reason I stopped going until last sunday. The track is the same shape and size as it always was so theres no reason the racing shouldn't be of a consistant high quality, tracks like Somerset, Scunthorpe, and Peterborough provide good action to name a few, Sheffield should be up there with the very best, perhaps its just down to preparation as the final on sunday underlined what it can produce.

We only get complaints at Sheffield when a Sheffield rider wins it..No complaints when Cook,Ostergaard, Masters, Zorro won it etc...Work it out!

I'm not complaining that a Sheffield rider won as Stead deserved it, my complaint was that the track was crap and it lead to a boring and predictable meeting. They could have taken a photo of the riders leaving the 2nd bend of the 1st lap and declared the rest based on that and it would have saved us all a couple of hours. All bar about 3 races were like that and with a field of high quality riders that should not be the case. I think with the PLRC having been at Sheffield for so long, it has gone a bit stale in my opinion, another reason for a change. I don't see what Sheffield offers that other tracks don't. Yes they have great restaurant facilities but if you going to the meeting for those reasons, then your going for the wrong reasons!!

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

What a great idea.....lets give Belle Vue everything!...Sod everyone else!

Well, if the stories are true, BV need every £ help they can get at the moment. £300k in debt. Riders not being paid. Morton having to remortgage his house. Club up for an urgent fire sale. All stories heard in the past 48hrs.

Also read somewhere that Peter Collins thanked everybody at Sheffield for making him feel welcome.He says he has not been made welcome at the new Belle Vue what's the story there then!!