British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

1979 Result Queries

10/04 Leicester: Gauntlet Midland Riders Championship Semi-Final

Phil Crump, Geoff Bouchard and Billy Sanders all finished on 12 points. As this was a qualifying meeting no run-off was staged. Did the three simply share the spoils or did they apply a tie-breaker for the sake of declaring a 1-2-3?

14/04 Stoke v Red Star Prague

Speedway Star carries no report. Yearbook states 'Match abandoned, track unfit for racing.' The fixture was listed in SStar 7/4 but not in 14/4. Was this a rain off or did they attempt to run the meeting?

12/09 Mildenhall v Trackstar Select

Confirm result as 49-28

14/09 Peterborough v Weymouth

Confirm abandoned after heat 2 with score 09-03 and reason for abandonment

20/10 Nottingham v Peterborough

Confirm date. SStar recorded date as 21st however match report was amidst those for the 20th. Yearbook also reports 21st. SStar lists fixture for the 20th and makes two other references to that date in articles.

25/10 Swindon v Exeter

Second half of double header. Confirm abandoned after heat 7 with score 23-19 and reason for abandonment.

Confirm that the following meetings were rained off on the date shown:

25/10 Wimbledon v Hackney (London Cup)

26/10 Hackney: TSB Champions Chase

30/10 Nottingham v Cradley Heath

03/11 Cradley Heath: Nigel Wasley Memorial Pairs

Any help appreciated as always.

Edited by daveallan81

I can confirm that the meetings at Nottingham on 30/10 and Cradley Heath 03/11 were rained off.

• Like 1

Phil Crump, Geoff Bouchard and Billy Sanders all finished on 12 points. As this was a qualifying meeting no run-off was staged. Did the three simply share the spoils or did they apply a tie-breaker for the sake of declaring a 1-2-3?

No provision in the programme for additional heats beyond the 20

No record in my programme of any run off

Yet . . . subsequent programmes all showed Phil Crump as the winner!

Doh!

Edited by Midland Red

Midland Red, on 18 Aug 2016 - 4:20 PM, said:

No provision in the programme for additional heats beyond the 20

No record in my programme of any run off

Yet . . . subsequent programmes all showed Phil Crump as the winner!

Doh!

They did attempt to sort the tie for the last 3 places using heat times (involving Shiira, Teromaa, Titman & Molyneux) but that ruling was later rescinded and the four met in a run-off on 24th April. According to the Star, Sanders had the fastest winning time so it seems unlikely they applied that criteria. Thanks for the info.

14/04 Stoke v Red Star Prague

Speedway Star carries no report. Yearbook states 'Match abandoned, track unfit for racing.' The fixture was listed in SStar 7/4 but not in 14/4. Was this a rain off or did they attempt to run the meeting?

12/09 Mildenhall v Trackstar Select

Confirm result as 49-28

14/09 Peterborough v Weymouth

Confirm abandoned after heat 2 with score 09-03 and reason for abandonment

20/10 Nottingham v Peterborough

Confirm date. SStar recorded date as 21st however match report was amidst those for the 20th. Yearbook also reports 21st. SStar lists fixture for the 20th and makes two other references to that date in articles.

25/10 Swindon v Exeter

Second half of double header. Confirm abandoned after heat 7 with score 23-19 and reason for abandonment.

Confirm that the following meetings were rained off on the date shown:

25/10 Wimbledon v Hackney (London Cup)

26/10 Hackney: TSB Champions Chase

30/10 Nottingham v Cradley Heath

03/11 Cradley Heath: Nigel Wasley Memorial Pairs

Any help appreciated as always.

Speedway Star April 28th page 33 carried the report regarding the Stoke meeting on April 22nd, stating that 'After a three week delay in opening due to the rebuilding of their track, Stoke now have to wait another week for their first home meeting. The Inter-League KO Cup match against Swindon was ruled out by rain.'

This confirms that the planned meeting for 14th April was called off in advance due to track work not having been completed.

They did attempt to sort the tie for the last 3 places using heat times (involving Shiira, Teromaa, Titman & Molyneux) but that ruling was later rescinded and the four met in a run-off on 24th April. According to the Star, Sanders had the fastest winning time so it seems unlikely they applied that criteria. Thanks for the info.

The other semi-final at Wolverhampton finished with Ole Olsen and Steve Bastable level on 14 points. Although the programme included Heat 21 in case a run-off was required I don't believe this took place. Tom Johnson, the local Express and Star journalist and Cradley Heath programme columnist, described the result as 'first place shared between Bastable and Olsen'.

If a method was used to determine the placings I assume perhaps it went firstly on the number of heat wins (which would put Sanders 3rd at Leicester) and then race times if riders were still tied. This presumably would have resulted in the winnners being Crump and Olsen. Anything was possible, given that the rules were initially broken regarding the tie for the last 3 qualifying places.

Thanks for that. The Leicester programme carrying Crump as the winner gives, I think, enough weight to the race wins then heat times theory to declare him the winner.

Thanks for that. The Leicester programme carrying Crump as the winner gives, I think, enough weight to the race wins then heat times theory to declare him the winner.

Agreed. Regarding the rebuilding work on the Stoke track, it must have been very substantial if it took so long.

Re the Nottingham queries;

v Peterborough - meeting run on Saturday 20th, which was Nottingham's alternative race-night. The match was originally scheduled for 19th September but was rained off on that date. The Nottingham programme of 3/10/79 makes the first reference to the new staging date as, Saturday 20/10/79 and it appeared in the back page fixture list from that programme onwards.

The meeting ran on the 20th when the original programme was re-issued with a single sheet Xerox insert. My copy of said insert has been annotated with 20/10/79.

v Cradley - Meeting, originally scheduled for 10 October was postponed. The re-staging of Cradley was advertised in the Nottingham programme of 24/10/79 as being on Tuesday, 30th October, but the editorial suggested that permission had to be sought from the BSPA to run on an 'off night'. Cradley had scheduled meetings on the 29th/31st, so that was the only night available.

The meeting was postponed, but I can't 'confirm' from personal recollection that it was actually on the 30th. The Speedway Star report refers to the track being simply 'unfit' so it may not have been a rain-off on the day as quite a few meetings at Station Road that season were called off early by the promotion when they realised that the track could not be repaired following the previous weekends stock car event.

I'm thinking that the best avenue of confirmation (race-day or earlier?) might come through the (now microfilmed) pages of the Nottingham Evening Post in Nottingham Library, which I have used for research in the past.

Thanks to all for clearing most of these up. By way of an update, the 12/09 Mildenhall v Trackstar Sel is reported in a subsequent programme as 49-29 so clarification still required there. Also the SStar report for 25/10 Wimbledon v Hackney (London Cup) says that one heat was run before abandonment but doesn't give any further details so confirmation of that heat result is now required.

Further to my reply on Nottingham v Cradley postponement, I have discussed this with my good friend and fellow Long Eaton fan, Glyn Price. He has all the newspaper clippings from that era and the Nottingham Evening Post edition of 30 October 1979 confirms that "tonight's meeting with Cradley has been called off due to a waterlogged track." This would suggest that the meeting was called off at the latest during the morning of 30 October. Hope that helps.

• Like 1