British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rob tatum

Problems Recording Swedish Gp

Just got back from holiday & sat down to watch the recorded gp

The rained of go was recorded BUT all the other sgp recordings were a mixture of car racing & cycling

yes I am old & a complete dim wit but did

Anyone else experience the same problem

I did phone virgin for advice there answer was

"WHAT WAS THE SPORT AGAIN? SPEEDWAY IS THAT FORMULA 1. That wound me up no end

The rained of go was recorded BUT all the other sgp recordings were a mixture of car racing & cycling

Watch it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGLdM0eICBw

• Like 2

Royals do you know if there will be a steam for the SGP series challenge.?

That's an interesting question- Dorna of motor GP fame bought the TV rights from the FIM several years ago http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/dorna_seals_new_fim_tv_contract. However they have not been to successful in finding TV companies interested in showing either live or a highlights compiled programme.As it is in Sweden this season- Vetlanda September 3rd- then maybe C MORE might be interested.

Edited by racers and royals

What you have to understand is that rearranging coverage of the SGP for little over 12 hours later isn't as straightforward as it seems. Yes, BT could easily 'bump' a few programmes round the schedule but it's not so easy to get the likes of Virgin Media and Sky to amend their all-important electronic programme guides (epgs) in time.

Most modern recording systems such as Tivo, Sly+ and other PVRs rely entirely on these epgs to know when to record and stop recording. If programmes change transmission times without the epg being updated you get the mess you describe.

Thankfully I knew of the changes in time so I was able to record it, but only by creating a ra\re manual recording on my Tivo.

There's only so much VM and Sky will or can do, especially over a weekend. The person at BT wouldn't be the only one who thinks speedway is car racing. One of the greatest failures of speedway's publicity 'machine' over too many years is failing to break down the barrier of ignorance that thinks it's some kind of American car racing.

Edited by rmc

The word Speedway derives it's name from the 1890's meaning a car or bike stadium in the USA hence the confusion. This is where speedway as we know it originated

• Like 1

The word Speedway derives it's name from the 1890's meaning a car or bike stadium in the USA hence the confusion. This is where speedway as we know it originated

The sad truth, I suspect, is that more young Britons have heard of the Indianopolis Motor Speedway than Belle Vue or Poole Speedways.

Royals do you know if there will be a steam for the SGP series challenge.?

I don't either but I sent an email to SVT who broadcasted it live the last time the it was held in Sweden.

Edited by Ghostwalker