British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Charlie Monk - Your Memories And Stories

MONK BUSINESS
IN our next issue of Classic Speedway we will be looking closely at the career of Charlie Monk and exploring the personality of this somewhat complex character.

We will be getting the Australian view of Charlie, now 76, who starred at his local Rowley Park track in Adelaide before becoming a reluctant hero at Glasgow in the 60s.

With a bit of luck, we might even be able to prise a few words from the man himself. We'll certainly try!

In the meantime, we would like to hear your favourite Charlie Monk stories, so please either post your comments on this forum, or email them to editorial@retro-speedway.com, by October 1, 2016.

Thank you.

'Charlie Monk was boring'. At least in the opinion of the referee at the Cradley Heath v Glasgow meeting in June 1965. Having dropped points to maximum men Ivor Brown and John Hart earlier in the meeting, Charlie took his 5th ride in heat 12, against Hart. Referee Reynolds decided that Charlie was a bit too forceful and excluded him for 'boring'. There would be a very high incidence of disqualifications in meetings these days if contact was disallowed now as it was then.

• Like 1

I remember him riding for Sheffield and Glasgow in the 60s/70s...he was up there with Mauger Briggo Ashby The Boococks et al.

Bit of a sensation when the leagues merged in 1965. Watched him cause a huge shock when he won the Internationale at Wimbledon early on and he also when he rode against Barry Briggs for the Golden Helmet. It was the first GH event of the season and he beat Briggs at Poole in the first leg. Speaking purely from memory there but although Briggs had some bike trouble in one race it was still an eye opener for the Speedway world.

He was a match for the very best for a number of years. Consistent and unspectacular it is probably that and his general quietness which sees him often overlooked when it comes to discussions about the best riders of his era. But he was good, bloody good.

Probably his biggest contribution to the sport was in convincing the doubters that PL guys could hold their own among the NL guys. It was one of the things that made the British League such a resounding over all success.

Great memories. :)

After an early practice session at Neath in late April1962, Speedway Star's Les Bailey reported that 'newly arrived Australian Warren Monk' and 'young Jon Erskine' showed up well. Monk was reported to be riding a new bike which he brought from 'Down Under', but the columnist felt he would need a little more experience before he made the league side. By the time he made his Neath debut in May Warren had become 'Charlie' and after an inconsistent start double figures scores were soon a regular occurrence. By the end of the season Charlie was second top scorer for Neath in league matches and second equal in the averages on 7.74, behind Trevor Redmond on 9.43. He topped the team's score chart in 7 of his 23 league matches.

I remember seeing him down Dudley wood about 75ish. I thought he was a right misery but as a kid I thought that was great because he was different. Would 75 be right, was he still riding then. Halifax? was it

Always thought Charlie was a miserable man and was frightened as a young un getting his autograph but he was fine.A really top rider who held his own with the big boys surprised Charlie is only 76 though thought he was around the Ronnie Genz (God bless him) age group.

Charlie won a big individual meeting at West Ham very early in the 1965 season, which surprised a lot of people. When you consider how powerful the Hammer's heat leaders were that season it was some achievement.

Charlie monk, surely the hardest rider ever to get to sign an autograph. When I was a wee lad I cornered him in the Wimbledon pits, only for him to write the word MONK

In big capital letters in my book!

• Like 1

Charlie monk, surely the hardest rider ever to get to sign an autograph. When I was a wee lad I cornered him in the Wimbledon pits, only for him to write the word MONK

Monk and Michanek were two of the hardest riders to get Autographs from both of them i had to wait until after the meeting to get them.

Bit of a sensation when the leagues merged in 1965. Watched him cause a huge shock when he won the Internationale at Wimbledon early on and he also when he rode against Barry Briggs for the Golden Helmet. It was the first GH event of the season and he beat Briggs at Poole in the first leg. Speaking purely from memory there but although Briggs had some bike trouble in one race it was still an eye opener for the Speedway world.

He was a match for the very best for a number of years. Consistent and unspectacular it is probably that and his general quietness which sees him often overlooked when it comes to discussions about the best riders of his era. But he was good, bloody good.

Probably his biggest contribution to the sport was in convincing the doubters that PL guys could hold their own among the NL guys. It was one of the things that made the British League such a resounding over all success.

Great memories. :)

I remember those Golden Helmet match races.

Briggo did indeed have bike problems. In one of the races, Briggo pulled up, as Charlie came round next lap, he slowed and pulled up. He apparently only wanted to beat Briggo fair and square, not this way.

A public announcement was made that Charlie would be heavily fined by the referee if he didnt continue for the 4 laps next time out.

Incidentally, Briggos problems were thought to be with his air filter. He needed new mesh, but couldnt find any. Where I was stood, by the pits in the West stand, he came running up asking if any lady would let him have one of their stockings.He offered a princely sum of 2/6d!! (12p today) A woman in the crowd lifted her skirt, unclipped her stocking from the suspender and handed it over. The 'half crown' was duly handed over.

It didnt solve Briggos problem but was different to say the least! ;)

• Like 2

Must have been lucky as Charlie was through at Edinburgh as a spectator and was walking beside where the riders loaded their bikes in Clockmill Road at the end.

He was pictured on the front page of the programme in an action shot from the previous week and I politely asked him to sign it.

He carefully autographed the front and it is the neatest example I have ever got. Mind you he never said a word.

I also remember a pal telling me about an incident he witnessed in a GB vs Sweden Test at Glasgow White City in 1967.

Charlie was partnered by Ron Mountford who wiped out himself & his partner in a nasty crash.

Apparently Nigel Boocock ran from the pits and uttered to a prostrate Mountford, "Why the f*** did you do that?"

Charlie never spoke a word, but waited till Ron had recovered and then promptly smacked him!

Another thought about Charlie. Was there not some controversy surrounding him in the 1965 British Final? I believe a questionable exclusion cost him a place in the next stage (World Final?)? Also seem to remember that it was the general opinion that it didn't matter too much as he would be a regular World Finalist in the future. Of course that never materialised. Shame because he was certainly worthy of such an appearance.

This is purely from memory of reports at the time. I cannot speak as an actual witness of the occasion as the meeting had been rearranged from the previous week when it was rained off. My mate and I had arranged our holidays specially to include the original one on a week long Speedway tour but in those days of a strict two weeks holiday per year it was not possible to get to the rearranged meeting. *]<$+* rain offs - the scourge of Speedway. :(

I woz there. Like you Wessex I was at the rained off meeting but since I was still at school was able to go to the rerun. As a sidebar: for the first meeting I had hitch hiked up from Cardiff-when the meeting was rained off I begged for a ride from the Newport Supporters Coach and as they had a free seat they were ok with it. Not only did I get a free trip back but Ian Terrar(later briefly rode for Newport) who like you couldn't make the rerun, gave me his ticket. Thanx ian if you're reading this -I owe you one!!.

Now to the meeting- Charlie Monk had won every race in all his qualifying meetings - and was the top ex Prov.League rider that year. The program note referred to him as "a true star and world champion in the making".. Charlie duly won his first race (heat 2) -finishing order was Monk, Broadbanks, Briggs, Gooddy. In his second race(heat 5) the result was Vandenberg,Monk,Genz,Bill Andrew. As a Newport supporter could it be Vandenberg's night-sadly no as that was the only points he scored all night. After 4 heats- Monk had 8 points, other contenders: N.Boocock 8 McKinlay 9,Gooch 7,Luckhurst 7,Broadbanks 8,Guasco 8,Brett 8,Briggs 10. Charlie's last heat was 20. As I recall Mckinlay and Monk were tussling for second place(I could be wrong on this-perhaps BL65 or Norbold et al can confirm or correct me)Over goes Ken Mckinlay, Monk excluded and in re-run the result is Gooch, McKinlay ,Mauger (Ivan still suffering effects of early season crash). Charlie doesn't make the top six who qualified and even missed out on run off for reserve-(Broadbanks beats Guasco-both on 9 points.) So qualifiers were Briggs 13,Boocock 11, McKinlay 11 , Brett 10, Gooch 10, Luckhurst 10. For the latter three it was to be their only Final appearance. Never mind we thought- Charlie will for sure be back next year and in several future World Finals. However you know the rest of the story.... P.S. Glad I kept my program all these years, and hope this brings back memories for any forumlanders who were also there.
Before I forget, the rerun meeting was also run on a rainy evening and the start was further delayed as the riders went on a strike to get more money before they would ride!! An agreement was fortunately reached and the meeting went on.