British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

7 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Anderson replaces Broad for the 2nd Test. Was hoping to see Stone get an opportunity but Wood keeps his place. 

Squad for the first two Tests in India also announced. Burns, Stokes and Archer return with Bairstow, Curran and Wood rested. Buttler will go home after the first Test so Foakes will get a chance. Pope will travel but not officially in the squad yet, he seems to be concerned about being fit enough to field. 

Predictable change, albeit a sensible step to start rotating Broad & Anderson.

Pretty unsurprising selection for the India tour.

Had my doubts about Pope being ready,struggled with coming back from injury previously, I think his confidence after getting injured again must be really low and he has not played for a while.

11 hours ago, CrystalCastles said:

Predictable change, albeit a sensible step to start rotating Broad & Anderson.

Pretty unsurprising selection for the India tour.

Had my doubts about Pope being ready,struggled with coming back from injury previously, I think his confidence after getting injured again must be really low and he has not played for a while.

HE has batted but needs to be 100 per cent to field. 

Think the selection for India has much to do with time spent in Covid bubbles. Must be really tough mentally. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Think the selection for India has much to do with time spent in Covid bubbles. Must be really tough mentally. 

There seems to be a lot of snowflakes in sport like all those tennis players whining at the Australian Open. 

Many of us are having to work at home rather than getting to travel to play elite sport in sunny places, and some of us can't even meet with our colleagues let alone have an after work beer. Most of the cricketers are young and their families will still be there when they get back. 

They need to get some perspective on their situation. 

• Like 1

75% of the players who enter the Australian Open will not receive any prize money at all so it's hardly a gravy train for most of them

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

There seems to be a lot of snowflakes in sport like all those tennis players whining at the Australian Open. 

Many of us are having to work at home rather than getting to travel to play elite sport in sunny places, and some of us can't even meet with our colleagues let alone have an after work beer. Most of the cricketers are young and their families will still be there when they get back. 

They need to get some perspective on their situation. 

NOT sure you can compare living in a bubble at a hotel with numerous restrictions to working from home. It isn't just England. Many of the India players have been in a 'bubble' since August. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mickthemuppet said:

75% of the players who enter the Australian Open will not receive any prize money at all so it's hardly a gravy train for most of them

Well I don't see how that's correct given that the Australian Open regulations state that prize money is paid even to losers in the 1st Qualifying Round, although I think travel and usually accommodation costs (although not this year) have to come out of that.

This said, I wouldn't disagree that for most professional tennis players it's a marginal to losing money existence, as indeed it is for many professional sportspeople that aren't at the top of their game. Even then, it's a marginal existence in some of the minor sports. 

However, the players know what they're getting into or quickly realise that, and no-one is forcing them to do that job. They have a privileged, albeit often poorly paying, position in society which can leverage other opportunities if they have the wherewithal, so I don't really have a great deal of sympathy for any of them.

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NOT sure you can compare living in a bubble at a hotel with numerous restrictions to working from home. It isn't just England. Many of the India players have been in a 'bubble' since August. 

Before COVID, I was often on the road for weeks at a time by myself, usually not staying in 4-star hotels, normally not in your average tourist destinations (various 'stans for example), and having to make all the arrangements. It's often tiring, hard work, but I still consider myself privileged and would not for the moment complain about having had the opportunity to see much of the world and meet people you'd never otherwise come across (and weirdly also developing a small fanbase in Bangladesh). 

So I don't want to hear whining from international cricketers - most of whom will be well paid and having everything arranged for them - complaining about being privileged enough to be selected for the opportunity of a lifetime that many millions would die for. It's pathetic, especially at the moment where everyone else is not allowed to travel and needs some distraction the current situation.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

22 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Before COVID, I was often on the road for weeks at a time by myself, usually not staying in 4-star hotels, normally not in your average tourist destinations (various 'stans for example), and having to make all the arrangements. It's often tiring, hard work, but I still consider myself privileged and would not for the moment complain about having had the opportunity to see much of the world and meet people you'd never otherwise come across (and weirdly also developing a small fanbase in Bangladesh). 

So I don't want to hear whining from international cricketers - most of whom will be well paid and having everything arranged for them - complaining about being privileged enough to be selected for the opportunity of a lifetime that many millions would die for. It's pathetic, especially at the moment where everyone else is not allowed to travel and needs some distraction the current situation.

YOU are all heart ...

• Haha 1

I see the Alex Hales discussion is back after his 110 in the Big Bash this morning. Would be good if they could just make a final decision so it doesn't get brought up again every few months. 

If Morgan doesn't want him in the side then okay, just come out and say that... after the job he's done with the white-ball sides he should be able to make that call without anyone questioning it. If there are just a few issues that can be sorted out then get on with it because he's clearly still good enough to be in the squad. 

40 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

I see the Alex Hales discussion is back after his 110 in the Big Bash this morning. Would be good if they could just make a final decision so it doesn't get brought up again every few months. 

If Morgan doesn't want him in the side then okay, just come out and say that... after the job he's done with the white-ball sides he should be able to make that call without anyone questioning it. If there are just a few issues that can be sorted out then get on with it because he's clearly still good enough to be in the squad. 

THINK Morgan has had it clear that he won't have Hales back ...

1 hour ago, The Cheese said:

i think Denly  should be ahead of him . i watched the Big Bash and time and time again he gets the heat behind the run rate with his amazing strike rate to make sure they lose 

Edited by orion
  • Haha 1

Even first day in the second test so a crucial second morning coming up. England could do with getting Mathews early and get in the Sri Lanka tail.

7 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HE has batted but needs to be 100 per cent to field. 

I don't really see the point in rushing him back in as soon as he is fit, if he isn't 100% and he doesn't have the confidence in his shoulder yet.  

It’s difficult to see how we are going to be competitive in India if Bess and Leach are unable to up their game considerably. 

• Like 1