British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

THE annual cost of Sky Sports, for example, is less than a one day ticket for a Test match at Lords... 

27 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE annual cost of Sky Sports, for example, is less than a one day ticket for a Test match at Lords... 

Well maybe for your private box, but given that Sky Sports is about 30 quid a month, that would assume a one-day ticket costs more than 360 quid and I've never paid anything like that for Lords and I usually go once a year.

I'd agree that for certain opposition Lords sells out quickly and and re-sale tickets can go for a fair bit, but I just checked on the Lords website for the India test in the summer and there's quite a few currently on sale in the Compton and Edrich stands for 135 quid. Expensive, but only half the cost of the annual subscription to Sky Sports. 

1 minute ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Well maybe for your private box, but given that Sky Sports is about 30 quid a month, that would assume a one-day ticket costs more than 360 quid and I've never paid anything like that for Lords and I usually go once a year.

I'd agree that for certain opposition Lords sells out quickly and and re-sale tickets can go for a fair bit, but I just checked on the Lords website for the India test in the summer and there's quite a few currently on sale in the Compton and Edrich stands for 135 quid. Expensive, but only half the cost of the annual subscription to Sky Sports. 

SO £135 for around seven hours of cricket if the weather is kind against 356 days of multi-channel sport ...

4 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

SO £135 for around seven hours of cricket if the weather is kind against 356 days of multi-channel sport ...

Well the point was that a Lords ticket is not anywhere near the cost of an annual Sky subscription.

If watching sport is your thing, then you have to weigh up whether 360 quid is value for money, and perhaps it is, especially if you can get all the sport you want to watch on Sky as you once could. However, when you consider the cost of other pay-per-view, it's increasingly looking uncompetitive and there's also an increasing number of events you can't get on the platform anymore. 

21 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

That's the problem - the content you want to watch is spread over multiple platforms.

Sky provided good coverage of football, cricket and some other sports, but had an effective monopoly for a long time and were really quite overpriced. Not to mention they were over-reliant on satellite and cable and now seem to be getting undercut by entirely Internet-based content providers, and the eventual introduction of NowTV was probably to try to claw back some of the former subscribers who'd gone over to cheaper providers. 

I think the idea was that it should increase competition, but the reality is that it's just allowed more platforms to provide content in ever limited numbers, whilst also allowing them to charge whatever they want, and make ever larger bids for the content packages that are now available.

Sadly I think gone are the days of having subscriptions with one service provider (platform) are now gone. 

I think we really are at the point where we need a lot more interference with regulation, because the reality is that despite being annoyed enough people still will pay for it.

20 hours ago, orion said:

Dont think its just about the money thou .. i think its nice that as many people watch it as possible . there nothing worst than sports going to platforms that only die hards etc watch ..You seen it in Boxing where we  have soon decent boxers that no one have even seen or the man on the street never heard of .

We have seen things like the Us Open Tennis go to amazon and jts made it wortless  bar  to the die hards Tennis fans,, ...  

It's not, i think i'd rather as many people have the ability to watch sport as possible.  Sport being picked up by Satellite TV & business that have diversified has probably ruined the traditional widescale audiences for sport.

9 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Well the point was that a Lords ticket is not anywhere near the cost of an annual Sky subscription.

If watching sport is your thing, then you have to weigh up whether 360 quid is value for money, and perhaps it is, especially if you can get all the sport you want to watch on Sky as you once could. However, when you consider the cost of other pay-per-view, it's increasingly looking uncompetitive and there's also an increasing number of events you can't get on the platform anymore. 

I think PPV has always been overpriced for Sports personally & now with the way content is sold it's probably far worse.

I don't think subscribing to Sport stacks up very well against paying for a subscription with Netflix or Amazon Prime, if you simply want to watch Films & TV Series.

• Like 1

Silverwood's interview yesterday suggests that Pope will be fit enough to start the series so that's a good boost. 

I'll guess at Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Root, Stokes, Pope, Buttler, Moeen, Archer, Leach, Broad for the first Test

2 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Silverwood's interview yesterday suggests that Pope will be fit enough to start the series so that's a good boost. 

I'll guess at Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Root, Stokes, Pope, Buttler, Moeen, Archer, Leach, Broad for the first Test

2 hours ago, The Cheese said:

LOOKS good as long as Stokes can bowl...

10 minutes ago, Scott0311 said:

Looking hopeful for UK TV coverage of the India series rather than streaming

inews link

Thank for that Scott .. that is great news if it comes about , really looking forward to it .

• Like 1

Would be a huge boost for English cricket to have at least 1 Test broadcast on free-to-air TV, hopefully it happens

• Like 4

LOOKING forward to it ...

Channel 4 is poised to be announced as the broadcaster of the England-India Test series on Monday, unless it is trumped by an 11th-hour bid, marking the return of Test cricket to free-to-air for the first time since the 2005 Ashes.

There have been intense negotiations between Star Sports in India, who own the rights to the series, and UK broadcasters in recent weeks. Both BT Sport and Sky Sports could yet trump them but Channel 4is considered the firm favourite to win the rights barring any late surprise.

• Like 4

On 1/31/2021 at 5:22 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

LOOKING forward to it ...

Channel 4 is poised to be announced as the broadcaster of the England-India Test series on Monday, unless it is trumped by an 11th-hour bid, marking the return of Test cricket to free-to-air for the first time since the 2005 Ashes.

There have been intense negotiations between Star Sports in India, who own the rights to the series, and UK broadcasters in recent weeks. Both BT Sport and Sky Sports could yet trump them but Channel 4is considered the firm favourite to win the rights barring any late surprise.

Not announced officially yet but widely reported that this is now agreed and they will be showing the entire tour of 4 Tests, 3 ODIs and 5 T20s. 

Great news, especially with a day/night Test starting at 9am which is obviously better timing for UK viewers!

• Like 5