British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

1 minute ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Jimmy making the incredibly difficult look all too easy - genius!! :t:

He just seems to get better with age,i reckon they could squeeze another 20 years out of him:lol:

• Like 1

What's that??

La la la la la......

Fat lady warming up :D

What a fantastic all round performance

• Like 2

Brilliant performance to beat India as easy as that in their own back yard.Got to keep that sort of performance up for the rest of the series though.

• Like 3

Just a fantastic performance from England, and a big two fingers up to the pundits and commentators who bleated about the non declaration yesterday. Root comes across as a captain completely in control of his thinking as well as his batting. 

Is the toss always as crucial in India? You get the feeling if we had lost the toss the result could have been very similar in their favour, would be nice to have a wicket which offers a bit more on day one but presumably it would be a mess on days four and five in that case? 

• Like 2

Great win and great team performance where everyone contributed.

• Like 1

Superb performance throughout all 5 days. Perfect start today with Leach getting Pujara early and that first over from Anderson.. it's great that so many people will be watching him live for the first time. One of the greatest in any sport this country has seen and still getting better!

• Like 4

Great win for England outplayed India for 5 days after winning a vital toss .. Surely more pressure or virat after  another loss as the india  captain .... moving forward going to have to see how we work this rotation system ... Butlers going home thou not sure why a wicket keeper needs to be  rested as i  thought  central  contracts were  to make sure they were fresh to play for England . i guess the plan was for Broad and Wood to replace Archer and Anderson in the next test  but if we want to  win this series surely  its best to keep a winning side 

7 minutes ago, orion said:

Great win for England outplayed India for 5 days after winning a vital toss .. Surely more pressure or virat after  another loss as the india  captain .... moving forward going to have to see how we work this rotation system ... Butlers going home thou not sure why a wicket keeper needs to be  rested as i  thought  central  contracts were  to make sure they were fresh to play for England . i guess the plan was for Broad and Wood to replace Archer and Anderson in the next test  but if we want to  win this series surely  its best to keep a winning side 

Crowd of up to 50% capacity is allowed for the 2nd test, it'll be interesting to see if that makes a difference. I suspect that will help Kohli, he looked a bit flat in the field compared to his usual animated style. 

In Buttler's case I guess it's not so much needing a rest now but looking ahead. Bubble life is likely to continue for a while yet and they want him fresher for the Ashes and T20 World Cup at the end of the year. I'd certainly be asking him if he fancied staying another week though.

Will be a tough call on whether to makes changes, Broad is in good form so at least there's not a huge drop in quality. You would expect the day/night test to possibly offer more help for the seamers so you want to make sure Anderson is ready for that one. 

• Like 3

Agree about Buttler and the bubbles, he plays all three formats so I think mentally for those players breaks from the squad are important to get the best out of them and keep them fresh. 

4 changes then. As well as Foakes for Buttler, Archer is injured, Anderson rested and Bess dropped. Broad, Moeen and Woakes/Stone come in. 

Would like the extra pace of Stone but suggestions are that this pitch is likely to turn from Day 1 so possibly the extra batting of Woakes will be more useful

• Like 1

I dont get the resting of Anderson.

12 minutes ago, screm said:

ENSURING he will be okay for the day/night third test...

56 minutes ago, screm said:

They seem to have a clear plan on how to manage Anderson and Broad (Wood too) to keep them fitter for longer and although it’s frustrating to see Anderson not involved after his heroics in the first test it makes sense for the longevity of his career. 

• Like 2

The bottom line is the most important thing in Test Matches is the toss and even more so in India ,...Root has been a good tosser of late lets  hope he keeps it up :D