British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

5 hours ago, The Cheese said:

The decision to not play 2 spinners is no doubt going to get criticised on this evidence but it's still not necessarily a bad move. Need to wait and see how much movement the seamers get under lights first.

Going to be difficult to reach 150 though from here with what's left to come

Happy now to agree it was the wrong move :D 

Anyway.. I think after this series we're going to have to see neutral umpires back. I don't think they've really got anything wrong today but the 3rd umpire is clearly not taking a proper look at some of these decisions. Add in how many 'umpire's call' reviews have gone against them here plus what happened in the last test and you can see why England are getting frustrated. 

If players can bubble away for months so can umpires, they were happy to do so for the IPL and PSL. Richard Illingworth had to go to Bangladesh because they don't have anyone on the elite panel so there are no excuses. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wolfsbane said:

In the words of Bob Willis, 'England are in tatters, it's like Fred Carno's circus out there'.

Bob wouldve had a field day today!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Cheese said:

Happy now to agree it was the wrong move :D 

Anyway.. I think after this series we're going to have to see neutral umpires back. I don't think they've really got anything wrong today but the 3rd umpire is clearly not taking a proper look at some of these decisions. Add in how many 'umpire's call' reviews have gone against them here plus what happened in the last test and you can see why England are getting frustrated. 

If players can bubble away for months so can umpires, they were happy to do so for the IPL and PSL. Richard Illingworth had to go to Bangladesh because they don't have anyone on the elite panel so there are no excuses. 

Umpiring is always a contentious issue. England got the benefit of a lot of umpires calls last summer, against the Windies in particular, but there was no excuse for their petulance today after the Stokes decision. I think Root was a bit more justified to moan about the stumping call, but you couldn't really complain about any of the lbw's against the English batsmen. The real issue was the poor quality batting.

9 minutes ago, salty said:

Umpiring is always a contentious issue. England got the benefit of a lot of umpires calls last summer, against the Windies in particular, but there was no excuse for their petulance today after the Stokes decision. I think Root was a bit more justified to moan about the stumping call, but you couldn't really complain about any of the lbw's against the English batsmen. The real issue was the poor quality batting.

Yea they were  mainly right ..Root was getting bang out of order near the end ,Stokes clearly never caught the ball and unsure about the stumping . The wicket did turn but nothing like the second test and we have made a pigs ear batting first on it .

like  Cheese says not sure why we cant have elite umpires as  Richard Illingworth was doing 3rd umpire  in the PSL . so it can be done 

6 hours ago, The Cheese said:

And there is the problem. These conditions are tough but not impossible, the players are good enough to be able to play well in them but for me the issue is in the mind. We see a pitch that spins early on and panic. Instead of embracing the challenge and accepting it we start thinking 'what's going on here, this shouldn't be allowed?'

I remember the infamous Somerset-Middlesex game in 2017, for all that was said about the quality of the pitch the fact is Middlesex were beaten before a ball was bowled. Angus Fraser was ranting away, Adam Voges was captain and behaving hysterically like a 5 year old child to the umpires. Straight away that gives the message to their dressing room that they're going to fail. 

Instead of accepting that batsman in this country need more help playing spin the ECB have actively discouraged it. Even if you accept that counties shouldn't produce pitches that spin a lot then there are other things that can be done. Why not encourage them to spend pre-season in the UAE or Sri Lanka? Spend a month out there and play 3 or 4 matches against each other or even sides from other countries. 

I think England batted well against spin in Sri Lanka on slow wickets, that offered a little bit of turn, as they had the time to play the ball late and drop deep into the wicket if necessary.

The Indian spinners are probably the best spinners in the world at the moment. You don't have the time on these wickets to drop back and play the ball late all of the time. I think it has highlighted our batters actually have very poor technique against good Spin bowling. That has been shown up. This batting line up is nowhere near as good as some of the line ups that we have had.

I think the desire to try and score more quickly because of the Day/Night, Pink Ball & general conditions, was behind the decision to bring Crawley & Bairstow in. 
A  par to good score would probably have been around the 170-250 mark.

I think up it's really sad as up until Root's dismissal we were going ok. 

After that i'd say our batting was timid. The players seem incapable of coping with difficult situations. The fight/application in the batting was poor.

On this sort of Wicket you have to do that and score runs, Other than Crawley i don't think anyone can be pleased with there batting

Rohit & Kohli did upto his dismissal for India. Rohit could go on and score a century tomorrow.

If England can limit India to 200-220 - they are theoretically still in this game.

But i can't really see us bowling well enough or batting well enough to turn it around.

I dont expect India to need to bat again in this test......

• Like 1

14 hours ago, salty said:

Agree with that, and I think Jason Holder mentioned something about it at the end of that series calling for neutral umpires. I don't think they are biased, yesterday's all looked out in real time but it's understandable why any away side will begin to feel a little aggrieved if it keeps going against them.  

It just removes the doubt, I don't think you would see that sort of reaction if those decisions were made by a neutral. 

• Like 1

Great fight back by England. Someone bollocked them at some point :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I dont expect India to need to bat again in this test......

26 - 5 in the first hour :D

Root 3 for 0 :o

The way this pitch is playing their lead is already plenty:D

• Like 1

We may as well come out and have a dart, if we get skittled then so be it. The same thing is going to happen anyway if we go defensive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wolfsbane said:

We may as well come out and have a dart, if we get skittled then so be it. The same thing is going to happen anyway if we go defensive.

If you get 1 or 2 partnerships of 40 and get to 150......:)

• Like 1

Root 6.2o 3m 8r 5w :D

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Root 6.2o 3m 8r 5w :D

Whoever had the final say on picking 3 seamers needs to be on the next plane homeB)

• Like 3

I think I could bowl unplayable off spin on these pitches....

• Haha 2