British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

Lots of superlatives being used on media coverage and social media about this game but to me it’s poor test match cricket, 23 wickets in barely a day and a half and less than 300 scored is awful, we want matches that go four or five days. This could be finished today at this rate, ridiculous. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Lots of superlatives being used on media coverage and social media about this game but to me it’s poor test match cricket, 23 wickets in barely a day and a half and less than 300 scored is awful, we want matches that go four or five days. This could be finished today at this rate, ridiculous. 

If this surface was presented for play at an English county ground the pitch inspectors would be on the case pretty damn quick with a points deduction no doubt to follow.

It's a given that countries will prepare pitches to suit their team but this is harming the integrity of the game.

• Like 3

The time it is taking for the DRS there is no way you can say the ball hits the pad and not the bat

Has to be not out but let's see

• Like 1

The umpire at that end certainly cant wait to put his finger up - he is twitching even before they get chance to start an appeal :)

66-6 A devil of a pitch

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Does anyone know what the shortest test cricket match is?:unsure:

The Indians love their one day cricket.

They're now going for 1 day tests.

Let's see if Leach & Root open the bowling shall we?

• Like 1

Very apt to end with trigger shooting up his finger as quick as he could :)

• Like 1

The team talk Root should have given.

' Look lads we're in the $hit here. If we're going to go down we'll go down fighting, play your shots from ball one, if you get out cheaply it won't affect your future England career. Ben you're opening with me, at least let's give them something to think about'.

The one he actually gave.

'Good luck lads, last one on the beach is a cissy'.

• Haha 1

A 2-1 series win for India will be enough to reach the Test Championship final, chances of a complete road next week? 

In the remote possibility of 2-2 it'll be Australia who go through to face New Zealand

• Like 1

Kohli keen to accuse both team of a lack of batting application, probably been told to say that by his governors to take the focus off the pitch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cant defend a pitch that gives a result in two days . Root takes 5 -8 tells you  all you need to know  .. lucky will picked 3 seamers :P

Edited by orion

For me it's hard to think it is Test match cricket if it is over in 2 days.

The amount of wickets that fell in that period of time is simply shocking and as a result i would say it has harmed the Integrity of the Test  game because of that. 

However i think a large part of that is simply down to being a Day/Night Test. I can't recall a high scoring or long drawn out game in a Day/Night Test.  I would assume that the average length of Day/Night Tests (Since they have been created) is different to the average length of Day Tests.

What you really don't need on top of already favourable Day/Night conditions for bowlers, is a wicket that has been prepared to spin. But you know what you are going to get in India. And in all fairness to India they were very reluctant to play Day/Night Tests.

England & India collapsed. England and India were both relatively decently placed at 74-3 & 98-3.  So Kohli does have a point to an extent about application. A lot of wickets on the 1st day fell to balls that went straight on. Crawley & Rohit made good 50's. Kohli chopped on and chucked away his wicket - something he was visibly annoyed with. And India lost 0 wickets in there 2nd innings

Whilst it must be immensely frustrating to have had tough wickets to bat on, England have regularly collapsed in all manner of conditions over the last 5 years. This series for me has highlighted that England players have very poor technique against good spinners and that even with Pope & Crawley emerging, our current batting line up is simply nowhere near as good a line up as we have had in the past.

On a wider note as much as i love Test Cricket and think it should ideally be an even contest between bat and ball that lasts 4 or 5 days i am not sure that view of what Test cricket should be about is shared by fans in all Test playing countries.

• Like 1