British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

2 hours ago, CrystalCastles said:

However i think a large part of that is simply down to being a Day/Night Test. I can't recall a high scoring or long drawn out game in a Day/Night Test.  I would assume that the average length of Day/Night Tests (Since they have been created) is different to the average length of Day Tests.

You'd expect a day/night test to favour swing and seam, not for the pitch to be an absolute bunsen. 

But it was the same for both sides, especially as England batted first. I wouldn't have wanted to have been Moeen Ali sitting at home watching that pitch whilst only on the margins of England selection... :D

16 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

You'd expect a day/night test to favour swing and seam, not for the pitch to be an absolute bunsen. 

But it was the same for both sides, especially as England batted first. I wouldn't have wanted to have been Moeen Ali sitting at home watching that pitch whilst only on the margins of England selection... :D

I agree all of the data shows that.

I think there has only been approximately 15-20 pink ball tests and was only the 2nd one in India.

Because the Day/Nights have been predominantly played on wickets suited to pace bowlers and the pink ball does a lot.

I can remember a lot of discussion when the Pink Ball was being tested and developed primarily focusing on swing movement and the ability to see the ball.

I think some analysis of Pink Ball v Red Ball was completed which showed that the Swing movement of a Pink ball was measurably different and yet the only difference was the colour of the ball.

I don't remember them really doing any analysis if it had an impact for spinners.

Moeen will be gutted - Would have been wonderful for his confidence.

After 30 years at Somerset Marcus Trescothick leaves to become the ECB's Elite Batting coach. 

Jon Lewis (fast bowlers) and Jeetan Patel (spin) also appointed

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Cheese said:

After 30 years at Somerset Marcus Trescothick leaves to become the ECB's Elite Batting coach. 

Jon Lewis (fast bowlers) and Jeetan Patel (spin) also appointed

Coach for everything these days .. Do they have ones for putting batting gloves on etc .. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, orion said:

Coach for everything these days .. Do they have ones for putting batting gloves on etc .. 

NO different to other sports including golf and tennis. There is always something to learn.

I think the sharing of coaching roles has been a good thing but eventually it makes sense to have someone more permanent in the job. Ramprakash left as batting coach a couple of years ago now and obviously Silverwood moved up from bowling to head coach in 2019. 

It's great to finally have someone to look after the spinners also. Patel seems to have done a good job so far and has been outstanding in county cricket for a long time so hopefully that will be a massive help to not just the younger spinners but current ones as well. A lot of Moeen's better performances came when he had Saqlain Mushtaq working with him, it was pretty poor that it was never felt necessary to have someone full-time in that position.  

• Like 1

Amazing game between West indies and Sri lanka ,,,the sri lanka bowler takes a hat trick and then gets hit for six sixes by Pollard in the next over .. surely a first in cricket history 

• Like 2

Not a good time to get up to see England at 30-2.Go and make a coffee and come back to see us at 32-3.What is the matter with our batting,it seems to have rubbed off on Root now in the last few matches.

Looked as though they expected conditions to be similar to the last 2 tests and decided to come out and play more positively. Then didn't adapt quickly enough when it became clear this pitch was easier to bat on.  

Pope's dismissal was unlucky at a time when it looked like he and Lawrence might have been able to do enough to reach 250. With the extra batsman playing it's going to be tough work for the bowlers if it doesn't turn more tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Finger wouldve been straight up for an England batsman with that one in the last over before tea.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Finger wouldve been straight up for an England batsman with that one in the last over before tea.......

Looking like that decision will decide the test.....

Posted (edited)

team selection for this & previous test leaves a lot to be desired.  Not clear thinking to use a footy phrase - chasing the ball.  We should be picking a even bowling attack to some extent. we playing arguably the best team in the world on their own patch - stick to our strengths. IMO take one game at at time and rest if needed not rotation.

Edited by longlivefrankie

Superb innings from Pant to be fair. Played sensibly at the start, made sure he didn't allow Bess to settle and then targeted the rest once they started to tire. 

Can't really blame the bowlers, they've put in the effort in tough conditions but you have to say that bringing Bess back in was pointless and has put more pressure on the others

• Like 3

Yep that Pant innings has been the difference so far. Conditions still leaning too far towards the bowlers though which is a pity. 

Difficult to see anything other than an Indian victory from here unless somebody English can bat big. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pant innings  has won the game for India  100 behind  on this pitch is terminal 

Edited by orion
  • Like 1