British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

On 6/7/2021 at 8:17 AM, Bagpuss said:

made sure they didn’t lose and can still win the series.

I'll be attending days 1,2 and 3 at EdgbastonB)Having to jump through a few hoops to attend though.Lateral flow tests to be taken 24 hrs before you go and have to upload/download your results of a negative test to be scanned at gate:oAs I understand there'll be no social distancing at Edgbaston on Thursday.The venue has also now become a cashless venue too.I've also had my seats moved to adhere to the grounds code of conduct!Five days after the event everyone who attended will be asked to undertake a PCR test!

Edited by bluejam
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Here we go again.

Tippy, tappy, tippy, tappy, tippy tappy, OUT!!!!!!!

I hope Conway is saving some runs for his spell with Somerset!

He could have been opening for England here if they'd signed him back in 2013 when he was looking for a Kolpak deal :unsure:

Requesting flat pitches to help prepare for away tours isn't necessarily a bad idea but it does lead to a strong possibility of making this a very grim summer for the Test side. 

And it was absolutely crazy to have left Leach out again here. 

As for the fielding :rolleyes: Been one of the worst countries for ages now and it shows no sign of improvement. 

Edited by The Cheese

Sibley, Crawley and Pope just not good enough unfortunately. Time for a rethink for the India series. 

• Like 2

England very poor again.

Not sure how much longer they should stick with either Crawley or Pope.

Both seem to be consistently getting out in the same manner.

Crawley wants to attack but has limited experience of game situations.

Pope hasn't lived upto his hype at all in my opinion, he's not been helped by injuries, or by batting in the wrong position, but he is showing himself to be overrated. It's no good making a start every time and chucking it away. 

The way things are going New Zealand could have an extra days rest before next weekends game 

9 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

The way things are going New Zealand could have an extra days rest before next weekends game 

With England now seven down they may get two, very poor batting from England. The top order just isn't good enough.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

OR even two...

• Like 1

I like Aggers a lot but he’s let himself down IMO by going into ‘told you so’ mode in saying that England being ultra circumspect in the last day at Lords has led to this performance, IMO that’s not the case, we just aren’t very good 

Woeful batting yet again

This side is simply not good enough

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CrystalCastles said:

England very poor again.

Not sure how much longer they should stick with either Crawley or Pope.

Both seem to be consistently getting out in the same manner.

Crawley wants to attack but has limited experience of game situations.

Pope hasn't lived upto his hype at all in my opinion, he's not been helped by injuries, or by batting in the wrong position, but he is showing himself to be overrated. It's no good making a start every time and chucking it away. 

BEST of a bad bunch ... would certainly persevere with Pope ahead of Bracey, Sibley and Lawrence. 

Edited by PHILIPRISING

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BEST of a bad bunch ... would certainly persevere ahead of Bracey, Sibley and Lawrence. 

Would agree with that. If there were 5-6 players in county cricket with similar stats then it would be fair enough to look elsewhere but the fact is his record is massively better than anyone else. Just have to hope he can keep learning and get there eventually. 

I remember when that line-up of Strauss, Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Collingwood and Prior used to be called boring. What England would give to have just one of them now!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BEST of a bad bunch ... would certainly persevere with Pope ahead of Bracey, Sibley and Lawrence. 

His technical ability means he is easily the best batting player in terms of natural talent that we have had since Root.

But against Good opposition, at Test level he has largely been poor. Undoubtedly other players have been equally as bad or worse, but i don't think that makes it ok, as i think opening or batting at 3 is harder.

Obviously there are reasons that have contributed to his performances. England, have picked him but he's another player being forced to play out of position or with a different role in the batting order and he's never looked comfortable with that in my opinion.

He is approaching 20 tests (Along with Sibley) so they really shouldn't be viewed as young players learning the Test match game anymore. 

Players with similar records have been discarded around the 15- 25 test mark.

Players have been dropped for getting out in the same way, or for consistently failing to contribute.

Edited by CrystalCastles

On 6/8/2021 at 12:55 PM, bluejam said:

I'll be attending days 1,2 and 3 at EdgbastonB)Having to jump through a few hoops to attend though.Lateral flow tests to be taken 24 hrs before you go and have to upload/download your results of a negative test to be scanned at gate:oAs I understand there'll be no social distancing at Edgbaston on Thursday.The venue has also now become a cashless venue too.I've also had my seats moved to adhere to the grounds code of conduct!Five days after the event everyone who attended will be asked to undertake a PCR test!

And have just received a ping on my phone from NHS Track and Trace app that I need to self isolate for 8 days:neutral:

• Sad 1