British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

Looks like the county season is about to descend into chaos. Derbyshire have pulled out of their last 2 T20 games because of Covid issues and Kent currently have 17 players missing. 

The 50 over tournament is set to be scrapped as with those issues plus the Hundred starting it basically leaves counties without enough players. 

Will be interesting to see if squads for the Hundred have to stay in bubbles/hotels. Surely the ECB can't have afford to have their shiny new toy breaking because a whole squad has to isolate? 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 11:15 AM, The Cheese said:

Nice of Surrey to give Ashwin a warm-up game before the Test series :rolleyes:

He's even opening the bowling on Day 1 in a side with 3 spinners. Didn't realise that was allowed now? :)

Took  6  for  29  as well 

1 hour ago, orion said:

Took  6  for  29  as well 

Yeah, was going okay from an England point of view until Somerset bizarrely didn't enforce the follow-on. 1-99 in the 1st innings and Leach dismissed him first ball, now suddenly he'll be full of confidence. 

Still don't see the point really, Surrey had basically no chance of qualifying to the next stage so I can only imagine they got a decent amount of £££ from the BCCI. If overseas players want to stick around after a tour then great but we shouldn't be giving them such ideal preparation before a series. 

• Like 2

Brutal innings from Livingstone last night, he's really stepped up a level in the last few years. A shame he couldn't get England over the line but from Morgan's comments a couple of days ago it seems they're more interested in giving the squad players a final opportunity ahead of the T20 World Cup. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Brutal innings from Livingstone last night, he's really stepped up a level in the last few years. A shame he couldn't get England over the line but from Morgan's comments a couple of days ago it seems they're more interested in giving the squad players a final opportunity ahead of the T20 World Cup. 

Great innings given he not only smashed it around, but held the innings and chase together whilst doing it.

cliffhanger last nite - livingstone 6 and morgs luckier hit that got 2 won it - great stuff from both sides throughout this series 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Bairstow recalled to the Test side yet again :neutral: 

Root (capt), Anderson, Bairstow, Bess, Broad, Burns, Buttler, Crawley, S Curran, Hameed, Lawrence, Leach, Pope, Robinson, Sibley, Stokes, Wood

edit;

Hameed's just reached his 100 against a strong Indian attack in their warm-up game. Deserves an opportunity ahead of either Sibley or Crawley now

Edited by The Cheese
  • Like 1

Just tuned into the hundred on beeb 2, had to turn the colour settings right down...I know cricket wants to modernise but jesus..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

WellI watched the mens match last night and enjoyed it, I like the effort they are going to to provide something different and to appeal to new viewers, the captions take a bit of getting used to but once you do they are easy to understand and do the job. Can understand why purists/traditionalists might not like the concept but Iiked it and most importantly its regular live cricket on terrestrial telly which can only be a good thing. 

• Like 2

I'll watch the Hundred if I must if the choice is that or Emmerdale/Coronation Street/Eastenders.

Apart from that, no thanks, T20 is perfect, the 100 is just a new cash machine for the ECB with graphics for 5 year olds and crap music.

Amusing to see so many overseas players go straight from the 'mediocre' T20 Blast to this 'world class' competition. 16 of them in total plus another 5 who've played in recent years leaving just 5 who haven't before. 

Watched the first hour on Sky before the Sheffield-Peterborough meeting, less gimmicky than I expected and the commentary wasn't as dumbed-down as I thought it might be but I couldn't really get interested in it. All that's different is the amount of publicity that Sky and BBC are giving this, could easily have been done without alienating so many current supporters. 

It's been necessary to attempt to change the financial future of the domestic game for a long time.

Positives for me, are the players are behind it, its on terrestrial TV, its attracted players who wouldn't have played over here.

Not really sure it's going to work or last as a competition.

Really competitive games today

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/24/2021 at 10:27 PM, CrystalCastles said:

It's been necessary to attempt to change the financial future of the domestic game for a long time.

Positives for me, are the players are behind it, its on terrestrial TV, its attracted players who wouldn't have played over here.

Not really sure it's going to work or last as a competition.

Really competitive games today

Good to look to appeal to a new audience, triffik viewing figures for BBC, men and women. I was anti at start, being a white flannel traditionalist who used to politely applaud at The Oval. Really enjoyed it so far, although torrential rain called time on the London derby, and the chance to beat our foes from norf of the river.

Edited by auntie doris

2nd viewing was the game at Edgbaston on Friday. Good match albeit in front of a crowd that looked no bigger than a T20 fixture. Take away the free tickets and it would no doubt be much lower. 

Also watched the game at Trent Bridge on Saturday afternoon. Was clear that Sky had been told to push the family narrative more. Nasser at the end was stressing how the atmosphere was more family based and not the 'usual T20 crowd'. Those mums and kids obviously learnt the words to 'Don't take me home' quickly given it was being sung for half of the match :)

On 7/24/2021 at 10:27 PM, CrystalCastles said:

It's a tough one.

The ECB have obviously looked on enviously at the success of the IPL and Big Bash, that were largely based on their own 'innovation' of T20 but which had to be superimposed over the existing 18 county structure. The T20 Cup doesn't really lend itself to the same sort of format, which also means missing out on many of the top players that the other competitions have.

At the same time, economic reality needs to set-in on County Cricket as I think hardly any teams make a profit, and those that do are reliant on the ECB subsidy to do so. I know it's not as simple as culling the non test venue counties as a few of them are relatively financially sound, but you do have to wonder how long you can prop-up the others, and to what end? 

There should probably be no more than 12 professional teams in England, and certainly no more than 14. So it's quite obvious that the Hundred is an attempt to not only jump on the IPL and BBL bandwagons, but to test the water before radical surgery is undertaken. Build up some new fanbases who aren't wedded to the traditional county cricket, and the job will become easier.

County Cricket is a strange beast anyway. Cricket was my first love in terms of sport, but coming from a minor county I've never followed any domestic First Class team. And since the demise of the John Player Sunday League, I've not really been bothered about going to a domestic game beyond the odd T20 outing, and I've actually been to far more international matches over the years. There must be a huge untapped audience out there if you can get away from the connection with ancient counties, some of which don't even exist anymore...