British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

I expected India to win this series comfortably so the result isn't really the issue, but the manner of it was unacceptable. To have done so well by getting into a winning position after a poor first day only to throw it away by losing the plot against two batsman who barely averaged 5 between them... and even after that to not be able to bat out 60 overs? 

No doubt Sibley will be made the scapegoat but there are just too many passengers in this side. A good side can carry one of Bairstow, Buttler, Curran who aren't good enough but have the odd good day, this is an average one and trying to play all 3 isn't going to work. Burns has done okay but lets be honest, he would have been dropped long ago in a top team. 

Now I see pundits calling for Pope to come in at 3! He's struggled badly at 5/6 so why on earth would you promote him to effectively open? He's batted there for Surrey in the last few games so that's probably a sign that is their plan but it won't work well. To even be considering it is madness. 

• Like 2

As Captain Root has to take responsibility for that tactical shambles yesterday morning - and he did to a certain extent - but what about the other senior players who were out there? Not to mention a plethora of coaches watching on. 

Sibley appears to be number 1 scapegoat amongst the batsmen, but its not as if his technique was a secret when he was picked is it? Pope seems to be the chosen one, but I agree throwing him at number 3 is a strange one. Usually you would look at who is scoring heavily in the Championship, but of course thanks to the mad scheduling of this season to accommodate The H****** there hasn't been any red ball cricket for weeks.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, salty said:

As Captain Root has to take responsibility for that tactical shambles yesterday morning - and he did to a certain extent - but what about the other senior players who were out there? Not to mention a plethora of coaches watching on. 

Sibley appears to be number 1 scapegoat amongst the batsmen, but its not as if his technique was a secret when he was picked is it? Pope seems to be the chosen one, but I agree throwing him at number 3 is a strange one. Usually you would look at who is scoring heavily in the Championship, but of course thanks to the mad scheduling of this season to accommodate The H****** there hasn't been any red ball cricket for weeks.

8 days before the 3rd Test starts, could have easily fit a 2 or 3 day game in. Sibley, Bairstow, Moeen, Buttler could all play just as batsmen, Curran didn't bowl too many overs so should be fine to go again. Leach and C Overton have been carrying drinks for two weeks and need time in the middle, Woakes if he's ready needs to prove fitness. Add in Malan, Pope and those who've done well in the Championship this year such as Jake Libby, Harry Brook, Alex Davies, Alex Lees, Ben Slater. 

If that means removing a few players from The Hundred then so be it, Tom Harrison emerged from hiding last week to state that Tests were still the priority... go ahead and prove it. 

Edited by The Cheese
  • Like 1

Liam Livingstone, wow.

• Like 1

SWMBO asked me why I wasn’t watching the “cricket” last night - “Birmingham are on”, she said.

Sorry, but to me, that’s not Birmingham, or Warwickshire, there’s no connection at all. Livingstone’s not one of ours, he’s a Lanky, so what’s he doing here? 

Also, it’s a reduced T20 game, down from 20 overs per team to 16.6. Wow! 

Why has “The Hundred” slogfest had so much extra publicity over the T20 Blast slogfest? 
And why is it played at the same time as other competitions, taking players away from their parent clubs?

Beam me up, Scotty :o

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Midland Red said:

Why has “The Hundred” slogfest had so much extra publicity over the T20 Blast slogfest? 
And why is it played at the same time as other competitions, taking players away from their parent clubs?

I think quite honestly it's because the ECB saw the success of the IPL and Big Bash which use a similar formula and saw it as a way of rejuvenating domestic cricket. County cricket doesn't make any money or really attract many under the age of 60, yet no-one wants to really countenance the radical restructuring that's probably needed. It's a bit like speedway in that respect, except more widely followed and with richer benefactors. 

I can honestly take or leave the 100 overs stuff and silly team names, although can live with 5 balls an over if the youth of today really can't count to 6. However, I have been impressed at the publicity and more importantly sponsorship it's generated, the size and much younger demographic of the crowds, and the fact that it's accessible to a wider audience. And the cricket has been okay as well, at least if you like the hit and giggle stuff. 

Cricket was my first sporting love, but I've never really connected with any county cricket nor followed it to any extent since the John Player Special League was regularly televised on the BBC on Sunday afternoons. There must be a whole untapped audience out there, which the Hundred seems to be picking up. 

I'm not sure when else the Hundred could really be played if you want to attract the top players and a younger audience, and I'm not sure it's practical for the county teams and their unpicked players to be sitting around for a month doing nothing at the height of summer. Equally, it completely degrades another domestic competition and offers no opportunity for potential ODI players to get experience in an important format of the game. 

It's a dilemma and difficult to see where county cricket goes from here now the cat is out of the bag...

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Midland Red said:

SWMBO asked me why I wasn’t watching the “cricket” last night - “Birmingham are on”, she said.

Sorry, but to me, that’s not Birmingham, or Warwickshire, there’s no connection at all. Livingstone’s not one of ours, he’s a Lanky, so what’s he doing here? 

The whole idea, as I understand it, is to encourage a younger audience.

No one has yet explained why when childhood obesity is high on the agenda all the teams are sponsored by manufacturers of junk/snack foods.

Follow the money, it never fails.

I'm not sure the Hundred is picking up an untapped audience to be honest. Given that it is the first Cricket people have been allowed to attend for the best part of 2 years, the tickets were largely dirt cheap (or free) and that it was held in the middle of the summer holidays its hardly surprising the attendances have been good. A friend of mine who attended one of the Oval evenings said it was fairly unpleasant with lots of boozed up lads getting a bit too lively - more so than a normal Blast evening at the Oval. 

Obviously Covid restrictions have played a part, but their have been very few "top players" performing who wouldn't have normally been over here playing for counties during the Blast. 

The ECB have committed so much money to the project that there is no turning back, but the damage it does to the rest of the Cricket calendar is not sustainable. I personally think a honed down version of the blast (maybe 2 divisions) with up to 4 overseas players might have been preferable. The TV companies had signed up to the thing before the change from 120 balls to 100.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, salty said:

Obviously Covid restrictions have played a part, but their have been very few "top players" performing who wouldn't have normally been over here playing for counties during the Blast. 

The ECB have committed so much money to the project that there is no turning back, but the damage it does to the rest of the Cricket calendar is not sustainable. I personally think a honed down version of the blast (maybe 2 divisions) with up to 4 overseas players might have been preferable. The TV companies had signed up to the thing before the change from 120 balls to 100.

My comment was not so much that the top players are playing in the Hundred now, but the format in principle makes it easier to get them.

I'd have thought a two division T20 would have been a more preferable option, but it seems most counties would only support the Hundred if it involved completely different teams. They'd rather no-one has 'top flight' cricket than half of the counties. 

I completely agree about the sustainability of the calendar, but it's fairly clear where it's all headed. In due course the 8 Hundred teams will revert to 'Lancashire, Yorkshire etc...' after some convenient market research, with maybe a couple of 'new' teams added and the remaining counties shuffled off to some glorified minor counties league that'll nominally be first class, but not quite as first class as the elite league. A conspiracy theorist might even point to the fact that the Minor Counties have been renamed 'National Counties' whatever that's supposed to mean... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Bristol will be the 9th franchise within a couple of years, I suspect a 10th will be added as well (Durham?). They'll also make up the new 10 team Championship which will be hailed as the saviour for English Test cricket 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

Bristol will be the 9th franchise within a couple of years, I suspect a 10th will be added as well (Durham?). They'll also make up the new 10 team Championship which will be hailed as the saviour for English Test cricket 

Durham is a financial basket case though, despite being a (former) test venue. It might be argued that it's needed for geographical reasons, but it would be bizarre to throw money at a venue that's had to be bailed out by both the ECB and the local authority. 

Bristol would be the obvious next choice as it's an ODI although not test venue, and there's no team for South-West at the moment (Cardiff is not the South-West by an definition). 

• Like 1

Oh Glammy Glammy

Waited a long long time for this! 

Gutted to not be there but hopefully will be a massive boost for us as a County

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Durham is a financial basket case though, despite being a (former) test venue. It might be argued that it's needed for geographical reasons, but it would be bizarre to throw money at a venue that's had to be bailed out by both the ECB and the local authority. 

Bristol would be the obvious next choice as it's an ODI although not test venue, and there's no team for South-West at the moment (Cardiff is not the South-West by an definition). 

There isn't really another standout candidate for a 10th side, at least they seem to be on the right track now after the recent financial issues and still host international matches. Funnily enough a couple of hours after I posted that an article appeared on Cricinfo suggesting both Bristol and Durham as best-placed to be added.

Also made a good point about hosts of The Hundred sides using revenue gained from it to sign players from the other counties. Mentions Chris Jordan (Surrey), Phil Salt (Lancashire) and Matt Critchley (Glamorgan) as being targeted so far. No coincidence that 2 of those 3 are playing for the franchise of those counties, that's something that happened with the Big Bash and was warned about here from the start. 

On 8/18/2021 at 10:05 AM, Midland Red said:

Totally agree...loved watching the Oval Invincibles beat the norf of the river London Spirit, but this aint really my type of cricket. If i lived in Kent wouldnt be supporting them. Why would anyone from the west country support Welsh Fire?

• Like 1