British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

Great to see Northeast sign for Glamorgan. Should provide something that we have lacked for a number of years consistency.

Be really Interesting if they get Critchley as well.

As ever ECB contracts, make interesting reading.

Meanwhile the ECB seem to be in another period of being poorly managed.

Ashes squad;

Root (c), Anderson, Bairstow, Bess, Broad, Burns, Buttler, Crawley, Hameed, Lawrence, Leach, Malan, Overton, Pope, Robinson, Woakes, Wood

Hopefully they can avoid losing 5-0!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

Ashes squad;

Root (c), Anderson, Bairstow, Bess, Broad, Burns, Buttler, Crawley, Hameed, Lawrence, Leach, Malan, Overton, Pope, Robinson, Woakes, Wood

Hopefully they can avoid losing 5-0!

If Australia's main players play well we should be in for a thumping as you say.

Think if that team avoids a whitewash they'll have done well. 

Indifferent form, poor application & Australia's wickets last few years, can see them smashing  big scores and us barely being in the games.

Edited by CrystalCastles

Excellent start for Scotland at the T20 World Cup. Makes that group really interesting now

And now 4 wickets in 4 balls for Ireland's Curtis Campher against the Netherlands! 

Edited by The Cheese
  • Like 1

I've backed Malan until now but after these warm-up games I think he needs to be the batsman that misses out in the first choice side. You have to make the most of the powerplay in these conditions, can't afford to have him making 10 off 10 in those 6 overs. 

Great achievement by Namibia to qualify through their group. Outplayed Ireland today in the deciding game after an excellent chase against the Netherlands who should have done better with so many county players in their squad. 

The ICC website states that Sri Lanka and Bangladesh will be kept separate but it looks as though they've changed the rules midway through and both end up in England's group. :unsure:

• Like 1

Surprised to see Sri Lanka, despite now ranked 10th, have highest win rate in T20, over 60%, with Windies and Seth Africa next.

Early Doors it looks like these pitches are going to be slow and low ... not really going to suit the all attack type  of batting ... 150 ish will be a good total by the looks of it .

6 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Ben Stokes: "I’m ready for Australia"

Great news :t:

I do worry that it could go all wrong, if he isn't 100%.

He hasn't been in a focused place for a long time, I think it's a fairly big commitment to make.

Ben normally just buckles down in fairness and has played when he shouldn't have a number of times over the last few years.

• Like 1

Easy to say it now but all this talk before about how strong this Windies side is... I just don't see it. Bowling unit is probably the weakest amongst the main nations. Gayle has been terrible for a couple of years now, Simmons is past it (16 off 35 today is possibly the worst T20 innings ever!) and they have too many finishers instead of batsmen who can play a longer innings. 

Big win for SA though especially with the chaos of De Kock withdrawing just before the start. 

21 hours ago, CrystalCastles said:

He hasn't been in a focused place for a long time, I think it's a fairly big commitment to make.

Ben normally just buckles down in fairness and has played when he shouldn't have a number of times over the last few years.

I guess only he knows whether he's ready. Root and Silverwood have constantly said it was up to Stokes to call them so I don't think there's been too much pressure on him to come back now. Getting his finger problem must be a massive boost. 

Edited by The Cheese

21 hours ago, CrystalCastles said:

Well there's at least 50% less chance of getting tonked by the Aussies...

7 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Easy to say it now but all this talk before about how strong this Windies side is... I just don't see it. Bowling unit is probably the weakest amongst the main nations. Gayle has been terrible for a couple of years now, Simmons is past it (16 off 35 today is possibly the worst T20 innings ever!) and they have too many finishers instead of batsmen who can play a longer innings. 

Big win for SA though especially with the chaos of De Kock withdrawing just before the start. 

I guess only he knows whether he's ready. Root and Silverwood have constantly said it was up to Stokes to call them so I don't think there's been too much pressure on him to come back now. Getting his finger problem must be a massive boost. 

True, but with the players that aren't going, I wouldn't be surprised if they had said can you come privately whilst publicly saying come back when you are ready.

On paper it's a massive lift, Stokes can be way below his best and still be able to contribute more than a lot of the players, he's definitely a player who delivers under pressure and without needing to be in form.

Just got to trust that he is making the right decision.

Under the circumstances great win for SA, another major balls up from there board though. Surely should have had a conversation with De Kock before the Tournament.

Windies very much that perform well if individuals have big games, if they don't they are in a bit of trouble and carrying a few players who shouldn't be in the squad.

6 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Well there's at least 50% less chance of getting tonked by the Aussies...

That is true. I do worry that if Australia bat 1st the scoreline and margin of defeat could be huge.

Australia's batting selection could be interesting.