British Speedway Forum
Humphrey Appleby

The Crisp Crack Of Leather On Willow

Beginning to look all to predictable again, someone other than Joe Root has to stand up be counted 

Root & Malan batted well, Stokes & Woakes dug in and tried to bat properly.

Other than that Batting terrible as per the last 3-4 years.

Outclassed in all areas

shambles, even without 2 of their best bowlers aussie outclassing hapless England

on a side note - i still think smith & warner shouldn't be playing for what they engineered, not that it would matter to result and smith taking piss by being captain again.

Mohammed Amir was banned for 5 years for match fixing they got 12 months?

• Like 1

This England squad lacks everything required to win tests away from home against decent opposition.....ability, leadership, composure, concentration, intelligence, preparation, confidence. Yesterday's 'effort' on a pretty ideal day for batting was particularly abject, against a team missing two key bowlers. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

This England squad lacks everything required to win tests away from home against decent opposition.....ability, leadership, composure, concentration, intelligence, preparation, confidence. Yesterday's 'effort' on a pretty ideal day for batting was particularly abject, against a team missing two key bowlers. 

Problem i feel is we only have a few quality players in our squad to deal with any decent test match playing countries.I think our only decent players are Root,Stokes,Malan and unfortunately our best bowlers are now imo past their best in Andersen and Broad.This current team are not on par with the likes of India and Australia.The West Indies and Sri Lanka are now the teams we could do battle with. 

Think after this series Silverwood and Root have to have the chop.

They have stuck with the same plan, bigged up the hype about being competitive and they have been unable to put more than the odd good session together for the last few years, based on individual brilliance.

From a batting perspective the gulf in terms of batting quality for Test match Cricket is apparent. 
The strategy in the last 10 years, has massively contributed to our inability to bat with intelligence, composure, concentration and application.

ECB need a massive rethink, but it's unlikely to happen.

I'm sure County Cricket will get the blame - it usually does. But you can't blame the County structure for the selection issues so far on this Tour. Played Leach at Brisbane and went into this match without a frontline spinner whilst the ball's turning all over the place. Two years "meticulous" planning we were told......

I think the Silverwood/Root axis should have been jettisoned after that disastrous last morning at Lords when they tried to bounce out Shami and Bumrah.

Edited by salty
  • Like 3

Good effort from Jos today, too little too late but nice to see some fight at least.

Hearing what some of the other coaches have had to say this week I'm beginning to think a mass clear-out is needed. Yesterday from Jon Lewis;

"Once he got hit again, he could have easily walked off and a nightwatchman could have come in. But that's the character of the man, and what it means to him to be England captain. He showed how hard he wants to fight for the team, and how hard we're prepared to fight to get back in this game."

Character in that situation wasn't important, the main thing was getting through those last 2 overs with Root and Stokes still there. That was the perfect scenario for Root to go off, send in Woakes or Robinson to block out 10 balls and they'd still have had a glimmer of hope this morning. 

And after Day 1, Graham Thorpe was asked about England's slow over-rate;

I think there's bigger things going on in the world than over-rates

Well obviously. But you're there to not only win this series but to earn points and try to qualify for the WTC final. They've just lost 8 points (equivalent of 2 draws) purely because they didn't get through the overs in time, surely that's important? It's already cost Australia in the first staging, it's unlikely England would qualify anyway but at least give yourselves a chance!

The mindset of the whole group just seems wrong. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Cheese said:

:(

Pushed i expect 

22 hours ago, orion said:

Pushed i expect 

Looks like it. Haven't read the full article but the backpage of the Daily Mail suggests that and he writes a column for them so they'd probably know. Mentions that he might move to Talksport. 

Also says that Azeem Rafiq contacted him to say he hadn't intended for anything like this to happen. 

Crawley, Bairstow, Wood and Leach in for tomorrow; Burns, Pope, Woakes and Broad out.