British Speedway Forum
damosuzuki

Glasgow Vs Sheffield (pl) 04/09/16

Brutal performance from the English Tigers! Not sure if Glasgow are having an epic day or Sheffield are just having a 'mare! Josh and Simon have been disappointing. Berge is a former track record holder and should of done a whole lot better.

• Like 1

That was a massacre few predicted with little entertainment to view other than Garcia in ht14 stalking and getting Howarth on the line. Bates and Berge looked like reserves not coping in the middle order and Greaves wasnt at the races. Sissis was the only visitor to come away with any credibility. Garrity r/r scored 5 points much what he would have if he werent 'injured'.

Its now 2 weeks to our next home meeting being disadvantaged by yet another shared event running at a weekend next Sunday. No tractor races today so proves someone is listening.

• Like 3

Had to feel for the Sheffield fan's who made there way up as there team weren't as good as woeful, Glasgow on the other hand were simply majestic out the gate today and as the old saying goes you can only beat what is in front off you and we certainly done that.

If we meet the Yorkshire Tigers in the play offs surely they can't be as bad as that again. Bates was a pale shadow off the rider that i see for Coventry on Sky & i know Berge has had a good season but for an ex Glasgow rider who you would like to think knows how to get round Ashfield was simply awful.

Sissis & Howarth and to a lesser extent Stead are the only ones that can hold there heads up with there performance.

For us we didn't have one failure today and Rene looks to have found the quickest way round a very intelligent rider.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 1

Yep, p*** poor Sheffield. Why was Garrity missing btw?

You would almost think they don't care who they get in the Playoffs and were playing games. Lets face it, Stead is in Semi retirement. Bates impresses me so much in the EL, one of my favourite riders but was a non event.

HOWEVER it puts is into our two away meetings in a good frame of mind and that's all I'm really bothered about. As ever, a throughlly enjoyable day at Ashfield and nice to see Danny in amongst the points.

Garrity aggravated his hand injury riding for Coventry on Friday when he banged it against the fence.

From the Sheffield web site:-

Sheffield travelled to Scotland without Jason Garrity after he withdrew late on with a hand injury aggravated riding for Elite League club Coventry on Friday.

With Josh Bates also struggling with illness, they experienced a meeting to forget and could not prevent a fifth straight away defeat.

Team manager Marc Bates conceded high-flying Glasgow just had too much strength on home shale.

“Glasgow are a strong side and they were just much better than us on the day,” Bates said.

“Obviously Jason was missing, and Dimitri (Berge) has been up most of the night travelling back from his World Longtrack meeting which probably didn’t help.

Josh has climbed off his sick bed after having tonsillitis to try and ride for the team but he struggled, and it was just a bad afternoon for us.

All the lads have tried their best but it wasn’t good enough today and we were beaten by a better team."

omg another embarrassing away performance by the Sheffield "team" ... playoffs I guess, but going out in the first round for sure...reality check needed by the riders here...they are not as good as they think they are..If Dimitri cant organise himself better than this, we need to let him go...this is not the first time....

A combination of a very good Glasgow performance and a pretty poor show from Sheffield, Lawson looked back to his old self and seems to do better with the number 1 race jacket on, two track records shows the guys are getting faster just at the right time hopefully.

There will be tougher tests ahead and we still need to be more consistent home and away, quicker ran meeting today with a rain shower just at the right time lol

Big weekend coming up with two away matches against two unbeaten sides at home in the league. It's about to get very interesting!!!

• Like 1

Still can't quite believe yesterday's meeting. The Sheffield riders looked smooth enough, no hitting holes or locking up. So lets be clear this wasn't a doctored trick track. The rain on Saturday seems to have provided a really fast surface which you would have thought would have helped Sheffield but Glasgow were so fast. Everyone did there job. Both reserves got a win and 3 thirds. And the crowd loved it - cheering and waving flags. God, I'm happy 😁

• Like 1

From the Sheffield web site:-

Sheffield travelled to Scotland without Jason Garrity after he withdrew late on with a hand injury aggravated riding for Elite League club Coventry on Friday.

With Josh Bates also struggling with illness, they experienced a meeting to forget and could not prevent a fifth straight away defeat.

Team manager Marc Bates conceded high-flying Glasgow just had too much strength on home shale.

“Glasgow are a strong side and they were just much better than us on the day,” Bates said.

“Obviously Jason was missing, and Dimitri (Berge) has been up most of the night travelling back from his World Longtrack meeting which probably didn’t help.

Josh has climbed off his sick bed after having tonsillitis to try and ride for the team but he struggled, and it was just a bad afternoon for us.

All the lads have tried their best but it wasn’t good enough today and we were beaten by a better team."

Refreshing to see a team manager saying how it was rather than go through a repertoire of excuses fair play to him.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 1

Well done to all the boys yesterday. Danny again looked a lot calmer and more in control, keep it up big man. Track was very good, plenty of rain on it on Saturday an a wee shower on Sunday did a lot of good, nothing like a helping hand from nature. :t::cheers:

• Like 5

Enjoyable afternoon next to my Sheffield friends on the back straight , cracking group of fans who follow their team everywhere regardless what kind of season they are having , true fans who were rightly applauded by Simon Stead after heat 15 .

As for the meeting , much easier than any of us predicted , sets us up nicely for a crack at " you know who " on Friday .

• Like 1

Well done to all the boys yesterday. Danny again looked a lot calmer and more in control, keep it up big man. Track was very good, plenty of rain on it on Saturday an a wee shower on Sunday did a lot of good, nothing like a helping hand from nature. :t::cheers:

I thought that as well, looked like he had read the advice people were putting up on here. Wasn't over riding, trying too hard just nice and relaxed I was waiting for him to mess up a corner but it never happened.

Still can't quite believe yesterday's meeting. The Sheffield riders looked smooth enough, no hitting holes or locking up. So lets be clear this wasn't a doctored trick track. The rain on Saturday seems to have provided a really fast surface which you would have thought would have helped Sheffield but Glasgow were so fast. Everyone did there job. Both reserves got a win and 3 thirds. And the crowd loved it - cheering and waving flags. God, I'm happy

I thought the track was almost too good which makes for fast times but not great racing. I'm happy we won but the lack of passing slightly concerns me but that might just have been the quality of the opposition

• Like 2

Enjoyable afternoon next to my Sheffield friends on the back straight , cracking group of fans who follow their team everywhere regardless what kind of season they are having , true fans who were rightly applauded by Simon Stead after heat 15 .

As for the meeting , much easier than any of us predicted , sets us up nicely for a crack at " you know who " on Friday .

Did not see you Paul, i was on the second bend with my wee lassie.

My first visit to Glasgow since the stadium improvements and i was very impressed with everything that has been done to make the speedway experience much more enjoyable.

Ok the racing could have been a bit better but Glasgow were very good on Sunday!

Look forward to coming back again. :approve:

• Like 1

Danny's good form continued on Monday for Kent with 16+1 from 6.

Perhaps the penny has dropped, more speed less haste.

• Like 1