British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Panthers89

Wildcards 2017.....

WHY? I know he came fourth after a run-off but he must be the world's most boring rider

Hancock wins that one

• Like 2

EACH to his own but I enjoy watching a master technician (Hancock) at work

Like Hampel, Hancock is rather a master gater.

Hancock can no longer be accused of a just a gate and go rider. Don't get me wrong not exactly a prime Mark Loram but still he's done his fair share of overtakes in the last few years.

WC's for next Year... Tough call but The 2 Russians please, both would be fantastic additions.

Edited by RPNYC
  • Like 1

Emil and Grigorij on top form would be a massive boost to the GP series.

Potential dilemma on the cards here with the wildcard picks. My understanding of the selections is they are for quality riders who, for whatever reason, have missed out on a top 8 placing. Injury is the obvious one so Hampel, having won GPs and finished on the rostrum more than once is a definite candidate. Emil fits the bill too. Outside of those 2 it's difficult to see any other outstanding candidates, which brings us to the current crop, and potential problems. Say for example Pawlicki finishes 9th and misses out by an odd point. Is he going to be overlooked and a place given to a rider finishing 12th or 13th? based purely on nationality? That cannot be right.

Personally I think NP will just about scrape into the top 8, Lindgren is already there so will be interesting to see how he goes for the remaining GPs, he has been pretty competitive so far though. Lindback needs to pick up, but with a GP win under his belt his wildcard selection is possible, I fear for NKI and Kildemand, with PK a slightly ahead due to his opening GP win. Zagar needs to improve rapidly with some seriously big scores to be considered, and I think we can say farewell to AJ and the GP stalwart that is Chris Harris.

If you were to go on form across all comps this season, the 4 best riders outside the current qualifying spots would arguably be emil g laguta kk and nki.

That would make for a good line up next year, but in reality kk is very unlikely to get one, and Tbf nicki deserves one wildcard at least.

If pawlicki drops out of top 8, I still see him bring picked for next year ahead of kk or hampel.

Potential dilemma on the cards here with the wildcard picks. My understanding of the selections is they are for quality riders who, for whatever reason, have missed out on a top 8 placing. Injury is the obvious one so Hampel, having won GPs and finished on the rostrum more than once is a definite candidate. Emil fits the bill too. Outside of those 2 it's difficult to see any other outstanding candidates, which brings us to the current crop, and potential problems. Say for example Pawlicki finishes 9th and misses out by an odd point. Is he going to be overlooked and a place given to a rider finishing 12th or 13th? based purely on nationality? That cannot be right.

Personally I think NP will just about scrape into the top 8, Lindgren is already there so will be interesting to see how he goes for the remaining GPs, he has been pretty competitive so far though. Lindback needs to pick up, but with a GP win under his belt his wildcard selection is possible, I fear for NKI and Kildemand, with PK a slightly ahead due to his opening GP win. Zagar needs to improve rapidly with some seriously big scores to be considered, and I think we can say farewell to AJ and the GP stalwart that is Chris Harris.

Your understanding is wrong. It is to pick riders who will help sell tickets based on where there will be gp rounds next season.
  • Like 4

Andreas Jonsson to join the list of WC applicants for 2017.

Andreas Jonsson to join the list of WC applicants for 2017.

I think not. He have had too many already. He have not really shown that he deserves one either.

If Lindbäck is inside top 8, there will be two Swedes anyway. If Lindbäck is outside top 8, then give him the wild card if there have

to be two Swedes. Anyway AJ sits out 2017 gp series.

I think not. He have had too many already. He have not really shown that he deserves one either.

If Lindbäck is inside top 8, there will be two Swedes anyway. If Lindbäck is outside top 8, then give him the wild card if there have

If I was AJ, I'dd apply. Simple's. You do have a point though.

If I was AJ, I'dd apply. Simple's. You do have a point though.
  • Like 1

Your understanding is wrong. It is to pick riders who will help sell tickets based on where there will be gp rounds next season.

In which case why only have 1 wildcard per meeting? Not sure this is the primary criteria

In which case why only have 1 wildcard per meeting? Not sure this is the primary criteria

There are of course 4 permanent wildcards.

Ensuring a spread of nationalities, in particular ensuring sufficient representation from "major" speedway nations us clearly as important a factor as covering riders who were injured or for other reasons failed to qualify (finishing 9th or 10th in gp series has historically been pretty much a gyarantee(