British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScunnyDan

Scorpions 2017

As the season finale fastly approaches :sad: winter is just around the corner, time for team predictions and everyones thoughts.

The 2016 season for Scunny has been up and down, with results not going our way, and with the team just clicking at the end of the season. For me I feel privaliged just to be able to say that I can go to the EWR week in week out and witness some fantastic speedway racing.

For me I'd have 5/6 of the current team.

1. Thomas Jorgensen

2. Fritz Wallner (depending on average)

3. Lewi Kerr

4. Josh Auty

5. Ryan Douglas

6. MPT (depending on average)

7. Josh Bailey OR Jack Smith, who both have impressed whilst racing for the Scorpions in 2016.

Your thoughts folks

• Like 2

Guest Scunny2012

As the season finale fastly approaches :sad: winter is just around the corner, time for team predictions and everyones thoughts.

The 2016 season for Scunny has been up and down, with results not going our way, and with the team just clicking at the end of the season. For me I feel privaliged just to be able to say that I can go to the EWR week in week out and witness some fantastic speedway racing.

1. Thomas Jorgensen

3. Lewi Kerr

4. Josh Auty

5. Ryan Douglas

7. Josh Bailey OR Jack Smith, who both have impressed whilst racing for the Scorpions in 2016.

Your thoughts folks

Quite simply the 1/7 that rode in the last Redcar match, i think it's time the wanting of Thomas Jorgensen back in the team should now be ended if only to give Berwick supporters some good news with their club up for sale, besides would he want to ride for Scunny again and i believe in Fritz Wallner who has a similar fence scraping style that we have a rider who will be as good if not better than Jorgensen so for me the same team please.

Edited by Scunny2012

Quite simply the 1/7 that rode in the last Redcar match, i think it's time the wanting of Thomas Jorgensen back in the team should now be ended if only to give Berwick supporters some good news with their club up for sale, besides would he want to ride for Scunny again and i believe in Fritz Wallner who has a similar fence scraping style that we have a rider who will be as good if not better than Jorgensen so for me the same team please.

The 1/6 that rode in the Redcar match plus Bailey is a very attractive side for 2017 Bailey for me is the important one longterm stick with him and he will improve over the next few years.One thing that has surprised me is that there are now a few NL lads who can make the transition to PL racing.Wilson Dean,Bailey,Bewley, Smith,Shuttleworth, Carr are a few examples it has to be good for British speedway. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Wallner has been impressive, was touted for good things about 10 years ago but thought he was well past his best, but has been superb for Scunny so far

If no change to league Structure and 7 man teams operate, I think this would be under a 42.5 points limit

Nick Morris (or similar to ride at No 1)

MPT

Ryan Douglas

Josh Auty

Lewis Kerr

Fritz Wallner

Josh Bailey

I think the problems most teams will have is trying to get a team for 2017 that will fit the probable changes to the rules & regulations at the EGM & AGM towards the end of the year.

My personal view is that we are not far off with the team we have & Rob's ability to bring a team together within a budget, but it might be, in 2017, he will have to speculate to accumulate. The "new" bar/entertainment block should bring in much needed revenue which, some, must be passed on via wages. He has admitted in the past that TJ wanted to try pastures new & almost signed Bellego, so is it financial when missing out on riders. Other riders have moved on & then we miss out on their improvement.

Of this years team, yes, I would keep most of them but there lies the problems. Bez is not far off in my thinking, also.

We really do miss a powerful No 1 but he would come at a cost & possible double upper

MPT a proven No2 but, after guest appearances in the EL could, also, be a double upper

Kerr has said he enjoys it at Scunny & would like to come back but, again, is already a double upper

Auty will never be a No1 in my eyes as his gating needs to improve against better riders. Again, is already a double upper

Dougie now has more self belief after his injuries hampered his progression but has proved he can be a No 1 but, also, capable of an EL place

Wallner we have got to keep as he will improve. Unfortunatly, at the moment, riding with Kerr has meant his scoring is not what it could have been(blessing in disguise as he could come with a CMA of around 5 to 5.2)

Bailey or Smith as we have seen what they can do in the early part of their careers, scoring well in the NL

So, as you can see, there are many possible problems to overcome & the AGM should be earlier than Nov to iron out these new rules to be brought in in 2017. From what I have read somewhere, the new rules are being thought through by the SCB but I would have thought a NEUTRAL BODY should have been put together with input from all parties involved ie; SCB, BSPA, Promoters & Referees so the rules were easier to understand & not have differing interpretations for personal gains.

There is, also, another point to bring up! What night do we race on? Has Sunday racing worked? It looks as if the support has been marginal where early season defeats didn't help against the improved results which has seen a few faces return. Friday was always the issue of travelling after work for the home/away support(the road works of the M1 towards the M18 was an issue raised on the forum & conversations) & the 2 shift workers where one week 6/2 & the other 2/10 therefore missing every other week.

Sunday has raised the issue of rider availability during injuries & the use of r/r, not just for us but Berwick struggled with the loss of Seb Alden. Family time is important too & that may have had an impact on some staying away.

A lot of decisions to be made by Rob & the Promotional Team but at least know we are running in 2017.

Hoping the support does improve but it needs to be marketed more. If people don't get the telegraph or travel down Normanby Rd, people would not know about us. Just this last fortnight I have been talking with pool players & they didn't know speedway existed in town. I told them if they like it on Sky(which is mostly boring ftg racing) then get down to the EWR for a better standard of racing. I have encouraged other friends to come, some have but if they picked a poor meeting they havn't returned plus cost. For new supporters a 3 match ticket for £30-£35 might encourage some to come more often.

Also, I still see too many freeloaders coming in via the pits either ex riders or sponsors. Not too sure of the monies involved but for arguments sake, if it costs £300 to sponsor a heat & you offer 2 free tickets for the sponsors at every meeting that's 10 meetings paid for. If more turn up for free entry & go to more meetings then there is a serious loss of income. Yes, we need the sponsors to survive but at what cost. It needs to be monitored & better controlled.(rant over. lol)

• Like 2

Did you see Tofty ride for Kings Lynn at Poole on SKY last night ? What a performance he’s really put himself in the shop window for the Elite League in 2017. Just how much as he grown as a rider since he was first with us. What a quality signing he was mid season when Peterborough had their first “meltdown” and axed him. How bonkers was that; and Rob has been vindicated in turning to our “Nightwatchman” to turn our season around somewhat at the last.

But; back to last night he really attacked the Poole track and was always in the race. Thing with Tofty is he is a “craftsman” on the bike. Knows where to ride; and safely to maximum effect. No matter if he’s last out the gate; he can effect the race from the back and you never rule him out. He looks to me to have strong engines and he can control a race from the front. Also a great rider to pair up with because you can trust him to be where you want him to be and not where you don’t !.

Last night as I say has definitely put him on the radar for Kings Lynn at the very least and probably every other Elite track as well. Remember he also banged home 13+2 for Leicester out of 33 at Swindon not withstanding that Belle Vue know all about him.

As far as I know he is a Scunthorpe asset ? correct me if I am wrong. Originally I remember he has a tie up with Kings Lynn but I thought that was ended in favour of a Scorpions contract. I would love to see MPT; back with us in 2017; but on the evidence it might be he has Elite ambitions. You would like to think we had a shout if the Leagues were merged in some way or he doubled up for us. If he is our asset; he would have a transfer or loan valuation.

What I can say; without getting carried away; is that through a fairly turbulent 2016 campaign by quirk of fate we seem to have found our team.

Lewis Kerr; was an excellent call to make; irrespective of whether he rides for us or not he warrants our respect and admiration coming back from such serious injuries in 2015. That he is actually riding for Scunthorpe and demonstrating his skill; bravery and hitting the big numbers is brilliant. We need to get the Kerr-minator back for 2017 and he would like to be back from what he has said.

Fritz Wallner; no idea where the management came across “the Blitz” but what a late season find. Lets again not get carried away; but he has smashed it for an “unknown”. An almighty effort in Heat14 last week v Redcar blasting round flat out on the dirt line. He is thrilling to watch and skillful on the bike. A definite crowd pleaser. He has rapidly dialled into the EWR on good engines and considering his limited if any team racing experience has put down a marker for 2017.

Josh Bailey/Jack Smith; no doubting that Lil'Josh has been superb this season and very unlucky to be out through injury. But I have been impressed with Jack Smith's inclusion and he might just have made himself a contender for 2017. There's not much between these two young racers ability wise; obviously their parent clubs will have a say in things too.

Rob has said he would go with the same 1-7 in 2017; and I am all for getting our stall set out early. Josh Auty has already agreed in principal to next season I understand. We do not know at this stage how the Leagues will look in 2017; so its maybe too soon to make firm commitments. But certainly if the Premier League continues in its current format we have a team that could; be up for the prizes; things being equal. But we should not get too carried away; and let our heart rule our head; and be prepared to make a change if the right rider is available to add to the top end. Obviously depending on finances and over team averages.

Just when its all getting exciting again; here we are tomorrow – end of season. But it’s a great thought to sustain us through the Winter knowing we’re back next season and plenty to look forward to at the Eddie Wright Raceway.

There is, also, another point to bring up! What night do we race on? Has Sunday racing worked? It looks as if the support has been marginal where early season defeats didn't help against the improved results which has seen a few faces return. Friday was always the issue of travelling after work for the home/away support(the road works of the M1 towards the M18 was an issue raised on the forum & conversations) & the 2 shift workers where one week 6/2 & the other 2/10 therefore missing every other week.

Sunday has raised the issue of rider availability during injuries & the use of r/r, not just for us but Berwick struggled with the loss of Seb Alden. Family time is important too & that may have had an impact on some staying away.

A lot of decisions to be made by Rob & the Promotional Team but at least know we are running in 2017.

Hoping the support does improve but it needs to be marketed more. If people don't get the telegraph or travel down Normanby Rd, people would not know about us. Just this last fortnight I have been talking with pool players & they didn't know speedway existed in town. I told them if they like it on Sky(which is mostly boring ftg racing) then get down to the EWR for a better standard of racing. I have encouraged other friends to come, some have but if they picked a poor meeting they havn't returned plus cost. For new supporters a 3 match ticket for £30-£35 might encourage some to come more often.

Also, I still see too many freeloaders coming in via the pits either ex riders or sponsors. Not too sure of the monies involved but for arguments sake, if it costs £300 to sponsor a heat & you offer 2 free tickets for the sponsors at every meeting that's 10 meetings paid for. If more turn up for free entry & go to more meetings then there is a serious loss of income. Yes, we need the sponsors to survive but at what cost. It needs to be monitored & better controlled.(rant over. lol)

Good and valid points here Iron; for me although it could make our journey from Bradford slightly more problematic; we think a return to Friday might be our preference. But clearly there are pro's and cons which ever way the management elect go.

Edited by the outsider

Didn't Rob say when he announced that Josh had signed for 2017 that it did mean running on a Sunday (may have been one of his little jokes)

For me must have a proper number one the last few seasons where we build so we always have a strong reserve hasn't worked as league position shows although still been entertaining. The number one must have an average that can't be overtaken by josh after a couple of bad meetings-josh is a number 5 and very good in that position

1 r worrall

2 fritz

3 Lewis

4 mpg

5 Auty

7 Bailey or smith

This is in no particular order and would love to see Ryan back but think it maybe time for a new challenge for him also think this team would leave enough under the limit to put fritz at reserve and another 6 pointer in the main body

1. Thomas Jorgensen

3. Lewi Kerr

4. Josh Auty

5. Ryan Douglas

Your thoughts folks

I have that team written down Dan. on present averages 01-09-16 I get it to 41.98

That's a proper 1-7 and this is no disrespect to Wilko before anyone throws that in !. We all know what Wilko has and can bring to the mix. But I would be tempted by that team because there are so many permutations across it. All of the rider's can consistantly deliver on the all action racing the EWR is famed for.

• Like 1

Douglas not on a sponsored scunny visa??!! auty

fritz

kerr

douglas

NOT TJ HES HAPPY WHERE HE IS!!!!!! if Berwick's still an option (fingers crossed) you'll have to get someone else around 7pt

mpt

bailey/smith i cant actually decide between them

• Like 1

I was under the impression Dougie is on a three year contract/visa with Scunny... ?

I'd be more than happy to go with the current team next year..

• Like 1