British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScunnyDan

Scorpions 2017

Heard today Ben barker is a nailed on certainty for next year

Well good luck with him then as he'll soon be running out of tracks to ride for . I hope your management get in a good supply of dummies for him.

• Like 2

I can see Josh Bates and Jack Smith in the side with Tofty moving on but Barker would be my choice(wonder if Rob will go for Bellego this time)?

Ryan

Wilko

Josh B

Lewis

Josh A

Fritz

Smith.......probably means Ryan and Josh swopping No1 during the season,

Ben

Wilko

Josh A

Lewi

Ryan

Fritz

Smith.....probably keeps Ben at No1 and would mean if Ryan and Josh want the No1 then they have to "ride" to take it, which would benefit the team and Ben is a seasoned No 1

I can see Josh Bates and Jack Smith in the side with Tofty moving on but Barker would be my choice(wonder if Rob will go for Bellego this time)?

Ryan

Wilko

Josh B

Lewis

Josh A

Fritz

Smith.......probably means Ryan and Josh swopping No1 during the season,

Ben

Wilko

Josh A

Lewi

Ryan

Fritz

Smith.....probably keeps Ben at No1 and would mean if Ryan and Josh want the No1 then they have to "ride" to take it, which would benefit the team and Ben is a seasoned No 1

Not anymore and would leave Scunthorpe with the same problem as this year.. no real No1

Guest Scunny2012

Not anymore and would leave Scunthorpe with the same problem as this year.. no real No1

Unfortunately Josh Auty as well as Barker are no longer a no 1,Auty hardly won a race after it was announced he was signed for next year, just hope Scunny don't lose Palm Toft as next year could be his year to be a top rider and no 1.

Edited by Scunny2012

Unfortunately Josh Auty as well as Barker is no longer a no 1, hardly won a race after it was announced he was signed for next year, just hope Scunny don't lose Palm Toft as next year could be his year to be a top rider

that would make perfect sense though.

With no chance of reaching the playoffs then an attractive average for 2017 would be a much better approach to points scoring at the end of 2016....

that would make perfect sense though.

With no chance of reaching the playoffs then an attractive average for 2017 would be a much better approach to points scoring at the end of 2016....

Should race every race if he's true

Looking thro the greensheet averages, some teams already qualified for play offs dropped their averages to make riders more available for 2017(Somerset dropped over 2.5 pts) With Auty, something was just missing as his speed wasn't there, gating still poor & is not a no 1.

Rob mentioned more matches, possible inter-league KO but with the Polish Top Leagues new agenda, rider availability could be interesting. There was a rule brought in during the AGM for 2015 where Doubling Up/Down will be restricted to 2 years per rider. Do not know if this rule is still in place or will be enforced in 2017. He also mentioned that the present team would fit in. Did that mean the points limit could be reduced to 41/41.5?

Well good luck with that. :blink:

Well good luck with that. :blink:

All depends how much he owes his bookie during the winter months will probably determine how prepared he will be for next season.

He's had more clubs than Fred Flintstone Must be riding Good Friday then.

Edited by New era Panthers

Just a thought for next season to start the season - A retro style meeting (Like what Scunny v Sheffield at the end of 2013(?)) 13 heats + 2nd half - for the Kenny Smith memorial? Whats everyone think

• Like 2

Just a thought for next season to start the season - A retro style meeting (Like what Scunny v Sheffield at the end of 2013(?)) 13 heats + 2nd half - for the Kenny Smith memorial? Whats everyone think

Be ok if they don't have a League cup next year, if they do Sheff & Scunny will no doubt be in the same Group again! But if not then it would be a good curtain raiser with some decent racing - on Scunnys track!

Reading this weeks Speedway Star and MPT making a clear statement that he would like to be back with us next season. Rob having made no secret of his desire to have MPT in the line up in 2017 and Tofty indicating the feeling was mutual.

I reckon MPT will be on the 'wish list' of a number of clubs next season; and for me he is a rider who can push on towards being a No1 at PL level. I was a bit less hopeful after the last meeting; Tofty seemed to be playing his cards close about being at Scunny in 2017 when Rob put the point to him. Wait and see I think was the reply; which made me think he might be looking elsewhere ?.

For sure having signed for Danish Super League Esjberg and eyeing an Elite ride as "doubler upper" MPT will be busy no doubt. But would be great to see him back in a Scorpions race jacket. I really rate him on the bike; really accomplished performer since his first days at Scunthorpe.

Has me wondering how that sets us up 1-7 with MPT (7.01) back; I would really like to see Lewis Kerr (6.16) continue his excellent form as a Scunthorpe rider next season. Ryan (7.18) is a cert; while Big Josh (7.10) already has contract. Suspect there might be 'riots' if we overlooked Fritz Wallner(5.00) after his end of season exploits, and Lil'Josh or Jack Smith for the three point berth. Then Wilko's (6.12) always Robs 'go to man'.

If the points limit stays 42.50; I calculate our total (ave in brackets) = 41.57; the team showed its potential in the last couple of months. I believe there's a lot more to come from this line up and it could be challenging at the right end of the table in 2017. But there is also the temptation to say we need a real No1 rider; and Ben Barkers name has been mooted in earlier posts. I rate Barker; especially round Scunny but on a 7.91 average that takes a 'chunck out' and someone would have to give to fit Barker in.

Regarding Ben Barker; if you were getting the Ben Barker of his Birmingham/Plymouth 3-4 years ago he would be a BIG hitter; but I have got into the habit of thinking that he has peaked as a rider and for whatever reason ( and injury has played a part also ) his form has suffered.

Clearly a lot is going to depend on next weeks Conference at the National Speedway Museum. I will not hold my breath for radical change; but I am hopeful that Rob and Buster Chapman can deliver at least some step change for next season that can help Speedway move into a healthier place. We have to embrace the superb new National Speedway Stadium and the luxury of a SKY TV contract to put the sport into the public eye.

Next season the Speedway Grand Prix is going to absolutely fantastic with the line up of riders in the Series. So Speedway has a lot going for it in 2017 for me.

For me; I would like to see the Elite League carry on for the purpose of showcasing the sport to the wider public on SKY. But it has to be what it says on the tin 'Elite'. Clubs have to adopt a squad system; and avoid the at times farcical use of guest riders. Having one common race night in the Elite would help continuity and reduce the incidence of fixture clashes v Premier League matches - particularly if as I expect the 'double up/down rider is retained.

We need more meetings; and an interesting fixture list and more teams ! - whilst I cannot see an amalgamation of Elite/Premier leagues; I can see some form of Regionalised inter-league competition; maybe where the 'top GP riders' sit these fixtures out where their commitment to the Grand Prix and Euro leagues conflicts.I think we would all be excited to get to see the Scorpions race against Belle Vue at the National Stadium; and I reckon fans would back it home and away.

There has been talk of standardising machinery to bring rider costs down; and maybe that is something to be tried at National League level or maybe in any 'Inter-League' fixtures- a form of equalising at least from the start point. So Scunthorpe would not travel to Belle Vue knowing they were going to have to take on riders with such vastly superior machinery thus making a mockery of the meeting.

As I say I am hopeful; of step change rather than radical overhaul. Love to hear other ideas emanating from fellow Scorpions.

Stay safe. Keep the faith.

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 1