British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pob

Redcar Vs Ipswich Pl Friday 9th Sep

But if you know the ref holds the tapes why try to jump the start?

And maybe he holds them because riders are trying to jump?

Was a bl**dy awful long evening for restarts last night.

And the rules have got to be changed regarding tapes restarts.

Keep the pit gate shut or put the riders on 1 minute or even 30 seconds as soon as the tapes have been repaired.

• Like 3

But if you know the ref holds the tapes why try to jump the start?

And maybe he holds them because riders are trying to jump?

Was a bl**dy awful long evening for restarts last night.

And the rules have got to be changed regarding tapes restarts.

Keep the pit gate shut or put the riders on 1 minute or even 30 seconds as soon as the tapes have been repaired.

I've been saying it should be a minute time allowance for a while, but was then told if they had a couple of "false" starts in a row riders need time to cool clutches etc.

The extra white line was supposed to reduce restarts, but from all the meetings I've seen on sky it appears a handful of start marshalls bother, the most ardent at ensuring riders are on the extra line is the guy at Redcar, but even then there are numerous "jumps". Should make riders have wheels right up to tapes then any movement will be exclusion!!

• Like 1

A £500 fine then - in cash!!

Spot on Scotsman. How many false starts did we see in the Olympics? They don't try to cheat as the punishment fits the crime. I got so p****d off last night, I left after the 2nd failed attempt to start heat 14. There are many ways to stop this, but no one seems to care about the fans who have to stand around for ages while they mess around.

• Like 1

It's about time they used transponders

Couldn't agree more. With a transponder there would be no doubts as to whether it was a jump start or good start. You could also set a system up that randomises the time between the Green light coming on, and the tapes being released all with-in a set time period.

Eg

Start Marshall gives a signal that he's Happy,

Ref Presses button,

System then puts Green light on, with-in set time frame (1-2 secs),

then then tapes are released with-in randomised set time frame. minimum1sec Maximum-2 secs (A trial would sort out the minor details).

From the time the Ref get's the nod from the Start Marshall to the tapes being released is controlled by the electronics.

It's something that should be trailed at least..

• Like 1

Even my kart has one. Not expensive and any money laid out would soon be recouped with clutch plates.

Couldn't agree more. With a transponder there would be no doubts as to whether it was a jump start or good start. You could also set a system up that randomises the time between the Green light coming on, and the tapes being released all with-in a set time period.

Eg

Start Marshall gives a signal that he's Happy,

Ref Presses button,

System then puts Green light on, with-in set time frame (1-2 secs),

then then tapes are released with-in randomised set time frame. minimum1sec Maximum-2 secs (A trial would sort out the minor details).

From the time the Ref get's the nod from the Start Marshall to the tapes being released is controlled by the electronics.

It's something that should be trailed at least..

It's such an obvious idea when you think about it.

You could even get rid of tapes if you wanted.

Edited by baldyman

Don't need tapes? How many other motor sports have tapes? But you could still use tapes if wanted to. You can also then have lap records and not guessing who crossed line first.

Will be keeping up to date with this one tonight as well as keeping an eye on results elsewhere in the vain hope a playoff place might be achievable but certainly won't be holding my breath.

A 4pt away win vital but on the road away from Foxhall form has been ridiculously erratic to say the least with the Witches all year.

I just hope we can do enough to put pressure on the teams immediately above us.

Time will tell.

Don't need tapes? How many other motor sports have tapes? But you could still use tapes if wanted to. You can also then have lap records and not guessing who crossed line first.

The geriatrics that watch speedway like to see the tapes go up and the bikes launch and the helmet peaks catch the tapes all in one line of sight rather than have lights go out that no-one can see anyway.

Replace the tapes with barbed wire - that would stop it!