Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dickie Head

Speedway Referee Numbers In Decline

You do realise that referees are paid?

They don't give up their spare time and their holidays from work. They get paid for it.

Plenty of volunteers in this sport do give up their spare time and holidays. But referees are paid.

Are you serious, paid, I used to get more an hour than they get for a match, the pay is ridiculous.

A referee friend of mine says he just about covers his petrol money with his fee and expenses, never mind he can spend a whole day travelling to and from a match.

Are you serious, paid, I used to get more an hour than they get for a match, the pay is ridiculous.

A referee friend of mine says he just about covers his petrol money with his fee and expenses, never mind he can spend a whole day travelling to and from a match.

So why the hell does he do it then?!

• Like 1

Perhaps they ought to firstly, to give themselves a bit of breathing space, increase the age of compulsory retirement by 2-3 yrs, voluntary of course.

Then they need to advertise for some trainees from the speedway fraternity.. you know, clerks of courses, time keepers, pit marshals, machine examiners, track staff first, then open it up to fans themselves if still in a quandary...

Perhaps they ought to firstly, to give themselves a bit of breathing space, increase the age of compulsory retirement by 2-3 yrs, voluntary of course.

Then they need to advertise for some trainees from the speedway fraternity.. you know, clerks of courses, time keepers, pit marshals, machine examiners, track staff first, then open it up to fans themselves if still in a quandary...

Fans are all talk mate. But i agree with the rest.

So why the hell does he do it then?!

Believe it or not some people actually love the sport and enjoy being involved. The Incident Recorder, Clerk of the Course, Pit Marshall, Machine Examiners, Pit Crew , Start Marshall, and Track Marshalls are almost always volunteers .

You get the best and the worst of people in Speedwáy. Unfortunately the worst are a small minority that cause a lot of trouble for the rest.

Edited by Daytripper

If refs want more respect from the riders and fans they shouldnt be so bloody stupid at times. Some of the decisions theyve made down the years have been bonkers and makes me wonder if they were in the toilet whilst the incidents took place..

I am certainly no fan of referees, having been sent off for blatant honesty during my footballing career for telling one what he actually was, but in speedway the fans can more often than not be the problem, with their designer label blinkers.

Seemingly you have a Newport bent, where, on numerous ocasions I have witnessed correct decisons go against them, only to see the "fans" have a go at the ref. On one occasion an opposition rider was so blatantly put into the fence on the second bend that even the most biased of fans would have accepted the inevitable decision. No. When tne home exclusion light was put on a large percentage of the crowd jeered and one obese arsehole was cheered as he made his way round from the back straight, to stick two fingers up at the ref's box. How very adult. Couldn't accuse that fan of being in the toilet though, with the size of his gut I doubt he had ever used one, yet the ref was weakly insulted for getting it right.

Referees do get it wrong but in the opinions of most fans any decision is wrong which goes against their team. Check the guy with the spreading arms at the tapes at Rye, the swaggering old biddy at The Abbey or the "formerly the guy with the horn" at Lakeside and I don't even mean marginal decisons where they go off on one.

We can all recall "unjust" decisions against our own team but unjust and incorrect are quite different. It is also very noticeable that when a female referee makes a call against their team many on here resort to sexist crap rather than admit the ref got it right.

Just to say not all was bad at Newport I recall one match where they had a brilliant young Aussie announcer and a female referee, where his patter with anti female ref commentary was brilliant and I would suggest recognition of the bias from the terraces rather than a dig at the official.

In last week's SS:-

Interviews for new Referees to take place on Friday March 3rd 2017 at the Marriott Hotel, Liverpool, during the Referees' annual meeting weekend. Anyone interested should send their CV to info@scbgb.co.uk.

Now that Messrs Reeve and Steele have been elovated surely they cannot retain referee status.

Edited by edmon

It does make me wonder why people choose to become speedway referees.. as well as not being appreciated by a number of fans its like the SCB don't appreciate them either if they are barely covering their costs. I'm guessing theres not a queue of people waiting to step into the box?

Thought about becoming a speedway ref once but can't guarrantee sparing the time and defo couldn't cope with the mountain of paperwork, not to mention the potential hassle. No ref is perfect though all are just 'ordinary human beings'. Well most are :wink: . I'd easily describe the role as 'a thankless task', the best I imagine a ref could feel would be satisfaction for doing their job to the best of their ability....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 1

Eleven applicants for Referee training being interviewed this week by Neil Vatcher.

• Like 1

Something for all refs to look forward to in 2017:

Sit in their box overseeing a Redcar Bears meeting featuring: Garrity, Hall, Wright & Barker! It will be fireworks every meeting.

Have to defend Frank Ebdon, he was always consistent, move at the tapes and you were out. I remember warning Matej Zagar of this the first time they met, after Matej was excluded he came back to the pits with a big ear to ear grin, I should have listened no tantrums no complaints Frank was one of the nicest people I met in speedway.

I believe he might still hold the record for a rain threatened meeting 52 minutes

Bryn makes a good point, Refs aare considered by 'The Authorities' to have full responsibility for the conduct of a meeting and can be called before the court system to justify their actions, its a difficult job, without them there couldn't be any speedway

• Like 1