British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2017

Trees surely the Old Farm derbys were both on Good Friday. Not spread over 2 days

Yes of course they were but just to have a home and away will be good

Most certainly were.

Half the fun was seeing how many of the riders overtook you between Lynn and Ipswich. The fastest on the track weren't always the fastest on the road lol.

In my younger, more foolish days, we did a treble header. Lynn in the morning, Ipswich in the afternoon and Peterborough in the evening.

I recall overtaking Michael Lee a couple of times on the Ippo coach after he had been pulled over by the Fuzz twice for speeding. It must have peezed him right off because he was pants at Foxhall in the return..

• Like 1

Michael Lee was a brilliant Speedway rider but things went to his head and got in with the wrong crowd and cut his career to an early end . Sure he could have gone on several more seasons.

For me, when he started as a 16 year old his early years were the most enjoyable I had watching Speedway. Not seen anything as exciting since.

• Like 5

For me, when he started as a 16 year old his early years were the most enjoyable I had watching Speedway. Not seen anything as exciting since.

Yes because you were young, everything's new and exciting when you're young ....

Just missed out on seeing Lee in his pomp unfortunately (wasn't born till 1977) so for me the most exciting thing I've seen is Henka's three and a bit years at Lynn. Quite brilliant.

Just missed out on seeing Lee in his pomp unfortunately (wasn't born till 1977) so for me the most exciting thing I've seen is Henka's three and a bit years at Lynn. Quite brilliant.

Agree with you on that.Loved watching Henka from the first time i saw him at the World Final at Bradford in 1990.I seem to recall seeing Buster saying to us after the meeting very excitedly we've signed we've bloody signed him(sure it was Buster).

I think Trees is right in what she says too,that most people will say/think that they have seen the most exciting/best riders when they(the fan) are in their younger years.

How would you compare Loram to Henka when they were together leading the Stars in that era?

Would have been Bill Barker who signed him.

How would you compare Loram to Henka when they were together leading the Stars in that era?

Loram was on lawnmowers until 1994 so really he only had one exceptional season in Lynn colours. Henka had three and always averaged more than Mark when they rode together. Remember them appearing in last heat deciders week after week at Lynn 1991-93, they were great times.

• Like 1

I came up to watch Arena-Essex and we got well beaten, must have been about 94/95. From memory I don't think Leigh Adams got near to Henka or Loram they were so quick.

I don't know about the young bit Trees something s seem better with age. Back in the 70s it felt a truely Lynn team. Riders cloning through the Nursery at Boston. The same riders each year with minor adjustments.

GB, Lee was special some real big names of Speedway were put to the sword by a 16/17 year old. By 18 he was a scalp that other riders wanted. Incredible when you look at what 18 year olds there are today on The World stage. He was just a natural and of course wasn't a great gater which made it even better.

• Like 1

In my younger, more foolish days, we did a treble header. Lynn in the morning, Ipswich in the afternoon and Peterborough in the evening.

I remember years ago, doing Lynn v Hackney in the morning, a meeting at Rye House in the afternoon on my way to see the Hackney v Lynn meeting in the evening! Can't remember when it was but fortunately I stayed at my Aunts in Ilford before heading home the next day.

Watching Henka & Loram were great times. Both out and out racers.

Darcy's season in 2009 was also pretty special. From reserve to No 1 and World U21 Champion in the same season.

• Like 4

Would have been Bill Barker who signed him.

Oh right.Must admit all my years seem to roll into one and i can't remember who was where and when.Could Alan Littlechild have been on the scene then.Remember times in champs nightclub and plenty of beers,thats probably why i can't remember exactly dates of certain owners.Remember Nigel Leaver doing a whip round in champs as he had blown an engine and his girlfriend having to do a strip to the waist for it.

Best party invite i got though was when me and my brother were invited to Henka's for a late night party after a meeting when he was living in Enmeth.Though's were the days :t: :t: .

They were the days when you could get friendly with riders and have a drink with them.Bit different now.

• Like 2