British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2017

As exciting as Tiddler was he should never ever be compared with either of the Moran brothers . Morans were both class riders in an era when the yanks ruled the world. Whether they gated or from the back both were world class . Turner never reached them levels. Hindered by his size he gave 110% all the time. His gating was nothing special, nor was his ability from the back, but it was his effort that the fans warm too. In the 10 yrs he rode for the Stars he started off as a Reserve, progressing to 2nd string before reaching the dizzy heights of a heat leader with Betts and Lee. He won a lot of points with his way-out style and if the truth be known the chasing riders chicken out trying to pass for fear of not knowing where he was going.

Tiddler was not a maximum man, but could sometimes be a match winner. What you always got was magic entertainment that enticed the fans....

We could sure do with a few more like him , now....

I think you will find that finances stopped him from progressing further in the sport.

As exciting as Tiddler was he should never ever be compared with either of the Moran brothers . Morans were both class riders in an era when the yanks ruled the world. Whether they gated or from the back both were world class . Turner never reached them levels. Hindered by his size he gave 110% all the time. His gating was nothing special, nor was his ability from the back, but it was his effort that the fans warm too. In the 10 yrs he rode for the Stars he started off as a Reserve, progressing to 2nd string before reaching the dizzy heights of a heat leader with Betts and Lee. He won a lot of points with his way-out style and if the truth be known the chasing riders chicken out trying to pass for fear of not knowing where he was going.

Tiddler was not a maximum man, but could sometimes be a match winner. What you always got was magic entertainment that enticed the fans....

We could sure do with a few more like him , now....

Nice summary thanks. I wasn't comparing Turner with the Moran's in class, just in their diminutive stature.

Was Sam Nicolaisen (sp) the shortest ever bl rider?

Mitch Shirra must be amongst one of the shortest ?

Mitch Shirra must be amongst one of the shortest ?

Surely no one shorter than Steve Schofield?

Jan O Pedersen ?

I have heard that Ian Turner use to have to have the frames altered so that he could touch the floor properly ! As a standard frame was too high. Don't know if this is true does anyone know ?

Edited by lynnboy

Anyone remember Stuart Cope who rode for Boston and I think he had one season with Coventry. He is very small in stature.

I seem to recall that Dave Jessop was not big and had a good speedway record.

Emerson Fairweather was diddy.

The great Peter Craven was only 5 foot 2 and weighed under 8 stones. Not sure what that is in foreign measures. :lol:

Edited by Aces51

I remember Billy Bales of Norwich Yarmouth and Sheffield (after Norwich closed) He to was very short and I think that he also had to have his frames lowered. He was another very exciting rider to watch.

• Like 1